My Children with bad constipation

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi guys

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of children with really bad constipation?  My 3yo dd and has been not regular for about 6 months now. I think the problem started when she started with solid food she have REALLY big and hard bowel movements and I think it must have hurt her and now she is afraid to go.  

We have obviously been to the different GP and they have given us a laxatives to try but it still never saw a lot of improvement over her bowels and ends up screaming and crying and really getting distressed. 

We are currently referred another GP, while waiting for the appointment to come through, hoping in the meantime that someone has maybe been through this and has some advice for me. 

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi.

My little one is almost 2 and suffered with constipation badly for at least a year. We tried Lactulose that the GP recommended but this did nothing.

We have had times where it hurts her so much she screams and screams and has even had a tear and have had blood in her nappy.

After a referral to the hospital we now manage it with movicol sachets. We can increase and decrease based on her toilet routine. So far this is working for us and a diet full of vegetables and fruit.

But she is getting to the age now that she knows if she needs to go and hasnt been for a day or two it is going to hurt.

We have found Mango and Blueberries help with going to the loo for our little one.

I find it very stressful and hate seeing my little one upset. Good Luck.x

• Posted

Hard stool can cause pain during bowel movement. It's recommended to get more fiber intake as fiber can soften the stool. Hence, it can pass out easily without causing any pain. Also, some prebiotic drop is good in preventing digestive discomfort.
  • Posted

hey my young sister has been through this yes she would bleed from the hardness of stools but the doctor prescribed her Lactelose it's not a laxative but it makes the stools eaier to pass it worked perfect for her

talk it through ur doctor tell him no laxatives just something that;ll ease stool passing 

• Posted

I would suggest you to  continue to offer her plenty of water & fruit and vegetable. Try to include formula milk powder that contains prebiotics that suitable for her age. I myself am using Mamil Dumex formula milk brand. It is good because it balances the good gut bacteria. 

Somehow your children, maybe have psychological now, but by taking these formula milk powder, it help and you need to let her understand that what she is taking will help her have painless poops she might go. Once she has no pain in her poos she would not have a problem with poop in future as well. 

• Posted

I guess your another GP will still recommend you another type of laxative or lactulose. This is what GP normally will recommended but all this may not a good solution for long term. I would suggest you to look into her formula milk. In fact, my son suffered terribly with wind and constipation on the the first formula milk and after he suffering the pain for few month, we only then bring him to our Pediatrician advised putting him on the Mamil Dumex Step 3.

It has been an absoluate god send !! He used to move his bowels every 3 days and was in terrible pain and now does it every 24 hours with no pain at all. The wind has died down considerably as well.

Not sure whether a milk formula change would be useful to your dd but it certainly was the best thing for my son.

• Posted

I think constipation in children is a quite common problem in their childhood.

Usually, constipation often starts after the 1st hard poo has caused pain and so your child has tried to avoid pain the next time 

by 'holding on' to the poo, resulting in a vicious cycle. I guess what you can do for your daughter is to increase the fluid for your children to  drink 

and increase the amount of fiber in her diet, which can help prevent constipation in the past. Usually GP or pediatrician will usually give laxatives 

For your children if it is necessary. This medication work by softening the poo so it is easier to pass. Somehow my advice has not recommend to use it too often.

After you found that your daughter was not constipated anymore, do continue to provide good formula milk, especially formula milk that contain pre-biotic

I guess this will help. On top of that, do a regular toileting habit is important for them as well. 

• Posted

Fruit juice was the best remedies for constipation in children. I can't find any better remedies that can help my daughter to get rid of the constipation. I highly prefer the pear juice and the apple juice for constipated child. My daughter is fussy, so I only add 1 ounce of fruit juice to dilute with fluids. She did not notice and able to finish the whole bottle. It helps her to get rid of the constipation problem when she was only 2yo. Highly recommend for you to try out.
  • Posted

My DD did, she suffered constipation. It began for both of them when they went from bf to formula feeding. I was told to use lactoluse and it helps my DD to get rid of constipation. After that, I take really care for her in order to prevent constipation. I changed his diet plan, encourage her to take more exercise and make sure that she is always hydrated. Also, I found that certain formula milk can help in preventing constipation and I have visited to Mamil formula website to redeem a trial pack. After one week, my kids are getting even better compared to only healthy diet and exercise. 
  • Posted

This is an old thread but no-one has asked whether the girl should be assessed for encopresis ('cause even if she wasn't soiling "yet" it's a possibility)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.