How long to heal??

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had surgery for a perianal abscess, after surgery I had the packing changed every other day, it fell out after a day when I had a bath. So it closed on outside before the inside did. So I had to have an operation to reopen the wound. Now they pack it every day. At first 25cm of packing went in . Now it takes 5cm . I'm 4 weeks post op, does it usually take this long. Any comments would be appreciated as i'm worried it's too long?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I had to go back after 1 week for a post op check, and he told me I have to come back in 2 more weeks to check again. I assume it would take at least 4 weeks, and probably closer to 6 for a larger abscess to heal.

How was the second surgery?

• Posted

Thanks for replying, much appreciated. The second op was worse than the first. They made the incision larger, bled really heavily and v. sore.. hopefully back to normal soon, fingers crossed..... 
  • Posted

When the packing comes out, does it smell bad? Mine seems to me to be infected smelly, but the surgeon said it's just still draining.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.