Azopt Side effects

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello Not really a new discussion as I asked this before but have not received any asnswers.  Has anyone on Azopt glaucoma drops had trouble with side effects and if so what and mostly what I would like to know is was it immediate or did it happen weeks/months later.  I am trying to decide if the tight chest and cough are caused by the azopt or is it just my normally mild asthma or rhinitis.  I do put the finger over the corner of the eye after instilling the the drop and only eye is at the moment being treated.  I had the same problem with xalatan but worse and was taken off it.  This has only happened weeks after starting the drug.  I wonder if it might be the preservative.  The doctor at the eye clinic did say I could try xalatan preservative free but I was not sure about eye colour changes and longer lashes with only one eye being treated so opted for Azopt after failed lased treatment. I was also told that I could have shunts put in but that like the laser they don't always work.  Have been been trying to hold on until my next appointment in 3 weeks.  By the way no real side effects with the eye just a little blurred after putting in the drops which is good as I have blepharitis as well. 

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello,

I have been on Azopt for about three months now.    I was changed from Azarga because of the tight chest, cough and slight breathlessness on exertion.    Although breathlessness improved, I still have the cough, but have been checked by X-ray, ECG and blood tests, and all OK.    Azopt seem OK as far as side-effects are concerned, but they don't seem to keep the pressure down.     I don't mind going back to Azarga if they keep the pressure under control, I can put up with the side side effects.     Have been on drops for the teens of years, apparently without any side effects at all, so maybe it is just that I am getting older! (71).   I can still see perfectly OK!

• Posted

Hello Thanks for your reply.  I have not been on drops for long. Long story but was under eye hospital for years with higher than normal pressures but no damage and therefore no treatment.  Was discharged but under them again around 5 years later as pressures were found to be high at routine high street eye test.  They tried me on xalalan as I mentioned as there were very early changes in the left eye right eye fine still ok.  After the problems with xalatan they decided to leave me without drops and keep a check and to get on with badly needed cataract surgeries.  These were done 2012 and 2014.  I had laser treatment to try to bring down the pressure but it did not work or maybe not enough.  I was put on Azopt in August and fine until about a month ago.  I have a few medical problems and medications so it is often hard to know what is causing side effects.  If it hadn't been for the chest tightness with xalatan I would not have connected recent chest tightness and cough to Azopt.  Like you I can see perfetly well and I am 68.  Glasses just for reading.  When I go back in 3 weeks I 

should find out if they are working.  My pressures last time were 22 in each eye although when the doctor did them again they were L 20 and R 22.  They want the left eye around mid to high teens because there is some early damage.  I would be interested to know if you continue to be ok on Azopt.  Do you put your finger on the corner of the eye after putting in the drops to help stop them getting into the body.  I do it for 3 minutes although some do it for only 30 seconds.

• Posted

I've been on Azopt in both eyes twice a day for a few months (+Travatan for a few years). The only side effect I've noticed is the bottom of my top eyelids itch occassionally. I have Asthma and they don't seem to bother that. The only thing that causes me to cough is too much chocolate, and I do love a bit of chocolate.
    • Posted

Hi  Yes, I also love chocolate.  I try not to eat too much don't always succeed.  I suffer from rhinitis and get a lot of throat mucus.  Chocolate does make it worse, will I never learn.  As I mentioned it was only because xalatan caused awful chest tightness that I thought that it might be the azopt causing the tight chest and increased coughing.  It's definintely down as a side affect of Azopt.  I don't want to rush to blame in on azopt because I have no eye problems with it.

Will see what the opthalmologist says at the end of the month.  I have quite a few health problems last and not least anxiety which has been worse lately because of health problems with both my husband and son.  Probaly why I am eating more chocolate.

• Posted

I wonder if you are using the same medsTravatan + azopt. as you say that you used Travatan for a long time and later you were put on Azopt. what was your IOP situation when you had been using only Travatan and then what was the IOP after using Azopt.

We (the Glaucoma patients have all seen that all the Glaucoma eye drops have serious/frightening side effects. In fact, I have felt much sicker for the last one year since my Glaucoma was diagnosed. I have used 5 types drops but all these have been making me sick. Anyway, there is no choice for us (glaucoma patients) but to keep using these drops. I wonder that with all the advancement in technology, no Glaucoma treatment/ eye drops have been  introduced which are comfortable to use.

• Posted

I have been on Azopt for about 10 months and my Asthma is worse and have lost a lot of hair But the only consolation is my Glaucoma pressure is down to 12 in each eye. I did not have Asthma before I started on Travaton about 3 years ago in fact I had no trouble with my chest. Aren't there any eye drops that do not cause Asthma? To Libralady13 from Elizabeth
    • Posted

Hello  Thank you Elizabeth for your reply.  Because I have asthma even though mild since 2002, they are limited to the type of drop they can prescribe as you probably know.  Xalatan caused awful chest tightness so I was taken off and had laser, which as you know did not work.  I do have one other option to try xalatan preservative free but as they are only treating one eye I did not want to risk the side effect of the eye changing colour, which is common with Xalatan.  I think it is the preservative in most drops which cause the problems.  The chest tightness is better, but I do have a cough whether this is a side effect or just my asthma and rhinitis, or more likely my anxiety I don't know.  I go to the eye clinic on 30th Nov so will find out more then.  I will post again after the clinic.
    • Posted

Elizabeth I meant to say as you did not have asthma before starting the Travaton and Azopt is it more likely they are the cause.  What has the opthalmologist said?  I know it is a case of balancing side effects with keeping pressures down and protecting your sight.  Hard I know if you suffer side effects but the drops are doing their job well
  • Posted

Hi Just to let you know have been to the eye hospital today.  My pressure in the right eye was 24 (That's the one with no changes to the optic nerve)  Over the years that has been lower and higher.  I realise it depends on the tme of day when your pressures are tested.  The left eye is 20 after being on Azopt for around 3 months. Once again this has been higher over the years when there were no changes.  After the laser treatment which did not work or at least not enough it went from 23 (directly after it rose to 27 which is think does happen) 10 weeks after the laser it was 22 same time of day and now it is 20.  The doctor said to leave it as it is continue with the drops and they will see me in 6 months do fields, photo etc at that time.  The obviously think that 20 is ok for me at present.  The doctor I saw last time said they would aim for mid to late teens, I assume 16-19.  The consultant said he would just like to see that eye is little bit lower because of the early changes.  I normally ask a lot more questions but today I did not.  The doctor said they would write to my gp to say I am now on Azopt although my gp already knows because of repeat prescriptions.  I assume this was a trial of Azopt and it is now permanent unless they change it when I go back in summer of next year.  Also can any one tell me how the pressures change throughout a 24 hour period when is it at its lowest and highest and by how much does in vary over the 24 hours.

The side effects if they were just that seem to be settling down.

Thanks

• Posted

Sorry I also meant to say when on glaucoma drops do they lower the pressure immediately or does it take time to reach the lowest pressure if you see what I mean.
  • Posted

I remember reading recently in a posting which I can't find at the moment.  I assume it was under this forum.  It mentioned about holding the finger to the corner of the eye for 3 minutes after instilling glaucoma drops to help avoid side effects to the body, which I what I do in addtion to wiping the eyelashes afterwards as well.  In the posting in was mentioned about leaning forward after putting the drops.  Does anyone know the reason for this.  I wish I had asked the poster when I first saw it.
  • Posted

It is to prevent the drops running into the tear ducts and on into your system!

I also get mld asthma from them, but find that this can be improved if I don't each chocolate.     I don't seem to have many side effects from Azop  though, but one annoying one is thatr my eyelashes are much longer than they used to be.    Most of the time, in day to day life, I don't wear glasses, so this is not a problem.  But I find that when I wear reading glasses, the eyelashes touch the lens and I have to keep brushing the away as it causes a slight tickle if I blink!

• Posted

Thank you for your reply.  I knew that putting your finger in the corner of eye was to prevent stop the drops running into the tear tuct and into the system, but did you mean that leaning forward helps this as well.  I haven't noticed longer eyelashes but I have only been using it since August.  I wear glasses for reading and hve not noticed a problem.  With regard to chocolate which of course many of us love.  Yes I can agree with you I also have mild asthma (diagnosed before Azopt) and rhinitis so chocolate,ice cream excess do cause more mucus so I try not to indulge too much.  I have noticed I have a dry cough have you found that.
    • Posted

Yes, I have had a cough for a long time now and recetly shortness of breath when walking uphill.    I had a chest x-ray, blood tests, sputum tests, ECG tests and all showed OK, so it was assumed it is the eydrops.   But it has never been all that bad, so I can put up with it if the drops keep the pressure down.     About a month ago, I stopped drinking alcohol, and the breathing has improved a lot since then, also the cough seems less.     I only had one glass of white wine per night, so it wasn't really much.   I missed it for the first week, but soon got used to it.   I drink pomegranat juice instead - that is supposed to be good for eyes.     I am 71 now, but can still see better than most.   Pressure two weeks ago was 22 and 24, but no damage, so I just carry on as normal, next check up in May.     I suppose leaning forward is a simple matter of gravity, but I have not heard that method before!     I am also increasin exercise  and trying to get 40 minutes walking in every day.    Eye consultant said that exercise definitely reduces eye pressure.      I also take Lutein supplement drops (in mouth) three times a day, that is good for eye health as well.    Also eating plenty of leafy green vegetables!
    • Posted

Hi I sarted to have an in intermittent tight chest a few weeks after starting the Azopt.  I did wonder if it was the cause as Xalatan another glaucoma drops gave me a really tight chest and I had to come off it.  The tightness seems to have more and less gone now and my peak flow readings were normal despite the tightness.  It is hard having had mild asthma for around 14 year to know if it really is the Azopt ort maybe just my anxiety which I have suffered with for a while.  I don't drink alcohol on a regular basis I go for weeks even months without, just the odd glass of wine when going out, Christmas etc.  I eat a lot of green leafy vegetables but I am overweight and having lost 2 stones a while back I have put some back on so after Christmas am going to address that.  Exercise I think you are right due to arthritis in knees,neck,spine and now possible hips I don't walk as much as I would like to.  Hopefully weight loss will help that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.