Multiple Autoimmune Syndrome

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone. I have vitiligo and hypothyroidism (a common combo, I know). For the past months I have observed that my finger and toe nails turn bluish when I feel cold and fingers and toes get stiff. Indeed when standing outside in winter that's quite possible but if sitting in a cozy living room, perhaps very strage. Also, more my nails sttarted developing "pits". Furthermore, knee pains when walking for a short while... I'm 29 and arthritis seems to be knocking on my door too early... I read up on multiple autoimmune syndrome and a couple symptoms seem to fall under an autimmune disease. But there isn't enough information on this syndrome yet online. My family doctor has never heard of (which is disappointing). Does anyone know more about multiple autoimmune syndrome? Thanks!

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Sounds like Raynauds Phenomenon (the blood vessel issue with your hands turning white or blue) and is related to mctd (mixed connective tissue disease)  I have lupus-and autoimmune overlap is quite common.  Autoimmune diseases like to stick together.  lol.  Just the way it is.  Why-probably has to do with your immune system fighting itself in different systems causing diverse antibodies-

I have lupus but also carry antibodies for sjogrens, scleroderma, mctd.  wink

• Posted

Renauds is also called 'Hughes Syndrome' and there is a good website for this.  Google it and you should find it.
    • Posted

That sounds about right whatever label you use.  I have Cold Agglutinins, possible Lupus, most likely Sjogrens and very strong RA antibodies - with no real rhuematoid or arthrittis with no real sign of that - yet!  There is a crossover of symptoms for all these autoimmune conditions so it is hard to tie down.  Circulation is generally the key to cold or numb extremities so best advice is to keep moving as much as possible.    
    • Posted

Sorry, got that wrong - Hughes syndrome is another name for anti-phospholipid syndrome, which they thought I had; Reynards is a symptom of it.
    • Posted

Try putting your hands in warm water to warm them up and get the circulation moving.
    • Posted

Don't do this - it can damage the smaller blood vessels called capillaries near the skin.  You need to gradually increase warmth by wearing lots of thin layers on your chest - keep your heart warm, keep your hands and feet warm.
    • Posted

Sorry, it's antiphospholipid syndrome that's also called Hughes sydrome.

• Posted

The change in colour and coldness in your hands may be Raynaud's phenomenon. The pitting can have a number of reasons, but nails are always a good sign of your overall health.   Raynaud's can happen on its own or due to autoimmune disorders such as spondyloarthropathies (not as scary as they sound).  These are now much  more easily treated.  Stiffness - Look up the have-you-got-the-s-factor on arthritis research UK website.
    • Posted

Warm water, the same temperature as your elbow (i.e. doesn't feel hot or cold when you dip your elbow in it), should be fine. Though hot water should be avoided.
  • Posted

It's possible its psoriasis that's what it sounds like I would be asking for a full bc and Crp to see if your immune is playing up.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.