Life in a cast....How did you cope?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi there,

I recently broke my ankle by falling down the stairs... I ended up requiring surgery to stabilise my fracture (pins and a plate). Post of  was casted for 8 weeks in total. I found myself becoming so frustrated with the itching more than anything.

I'm a nurse also and i am doing some research in to patients experience i a cast...

I would be very grateful of your input

Many Thanks

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Milly,

I am recovering from my third ankle surgery and have been in a cast quite a bit. I would either get the cast really hot with heating pads and items I heated in the microwave or very cold with ice packs. Seems like it helped some...I will admit to using a plastic wooden spoon thing to scratch in the cast when I couldn't take it anymore. Benadryl seemed to help a little too. Mostly it seemed to be in my mind and it really seemed to help if I had things to do with my hands to keep distracted (tangle toys are great). Best of luck on your research!

• Posted

wow that must be frustraing i have an external fixator and have to have this for 8 weeks 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.