HSV-2 only: Who else, and how often do you have outbreaks?

Posted , 68 users are following.

Thought it would be good to have a discussion thread just for those with IgG/swab-confirmed HSV-2 (so not presumed cases).

For personal "research" purposes, lol, I'm also very interested to know:

1. How long you've had it.

2. How often do you have outbreaks.

3. Did you have a history of cold sores (even if only as a child) before you acquired HSV-2.

Other personal experiences regarding HSV-2 welcome. Cheers!

4 likes, 227 replies

227 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Since I'm asking, I'll go first!

1. Only 1.5 months

2. Just my initial outbreak so far

3. Never before (tested negative for HSV-1)

These past few weeks have been surreal and I have read so much about genital herpes that there's little left to find out, lol.

Except for first-hand experiences. Curious to see how these match the average stats and other info quoted for HSV-2.

• Posted

Is there a way to send you a personal message?? I got a personal message from someone but she was a doctor and I wanted to write you but I can't find the option. Is that an option? I'm on my phone maybe I need to be on my computer?? I need a break from this site but I wanted to keep in touch with you.
  • Posted

Well

You know from my other thread that i have no idea how long

Probably 20 years

Diagnosed 1week ago

Outbreaks.... Any time i have intercourse. If i go 2 years without, it lies dormant. As soon as i start, i get an outbreak

Weird

I think thats how its working

Never had a cold sore

Spent 20 years trying to treat mysterious vaginal bacterial infection that was most likely internal herpes.

No external lesions

I started suppression therapy and i think i will continue daily.

• Posted

Lol, yes, I know your story well, but great to try and gather HSV-2 folk here. Ever had cold sores before all of your vaginal problems, btw?
  • Posted

1. Five years now, two years testing negative by swab test finally three years ago and five horrendous outbreaks later I was diagnosed by blood test results.

2. I have up 3 outbreaks a year.

3. No. My mother has hsv-1 but I have no history, nor have I had a cold sore.

How I deal. Typically after getting two- three outbreaks you know when its about to flare. Everyone is different. Its insane we can be diagnosed with the same thing but some never suffer like my husband for example, positive, never had any problems. Me however gets lower abdomen pressure tingling itching and eventually blisters that become lesions.. That was before I was diagnosed and had no clue what I was dealing with(kept being told I had BV and that was what was causing the irritation) now when I feel the tingle or pressure I know its coming, usually after my menstrual cycle or when I am really stressed, I'll take my prescription medication. If I happen to already begin to get the blisters.. oh what a tricky monster hsv2 is... After scouring the internet for relief, someone suggested liquid orajel to numb the area. Desperate I would try anything! And it worked, numbs you right up and stops that itchy sensation that makes you feel youre going mad. Then I slip some tissue where the irritation is to keep the area as dry as possible. Promotes healing faster. For me at least.

It made me really sad at first and felt I would never ever be good enough for anyone, or find love, or have children. Like I had the black plague or something. But no once you find out what works for your body(yes takes some experimenting and a lot of research) then you can control it and not be the one in the vice waiting to be squeezed. To all who read this and has sufferered with genital herpes, of course youre not alone, and you will get through this!

• Posted

I know how you felt, but those are encouraging words. Thanks!

Have you always had three outbreaks per year, even in your first year, because I thought they were supposed to diminish in both frequency and severity over time.

I'm really hoping I am one of the lucky ones who has minimal outbreaks with HSV-2, versus one of the unlucky ones who has 6 or even 10+ outbreaks per year!

The longer I'm outbreak-free, the greater the odds that I'm one of the luckier ones, so I'm dreading my next outbreak, not so much because of the symptoms (if like my first, or milder), but because of what that may indicate in terms of frequency. :s

• Posted

My first outbreak was bad but not too bad gave me cipro for BV sent me packin, that was five years ago. Then after that it was almost a year before I had another. Wayyy worse, went to the doctor. Misdiagnosed. Gave me crazy creams to use which agitated everything and flagyl for yeast went back to doctor who then tested me for hsv1 and hsv2 blood culture. Negative. This was day 7 and I could barely walk. Ended up in hospital. With the kindest doctor that gave me a nice dose of some sleepy stuff and I got my first sleep in days. He then came with a book and explained to me what it looked like and showed me pictures that were just like mine. They werent the crazy stuff they show you in sex health class. Even though it didnt look like much the pain was just insane and I consider myself pretty high on the pain tolerance meter. So I left, was taking valtrex two days, and got the call I was negative, blood test. (My symptoms had cleared) but didnt attribute it to the valtrex i convinced myself the flagyl I had taken finally kicked in because my results were negative. Then after that clear for a year then BAM hits me again and I go to a different doc and they give me valtrex again and test for hsv2 from a swab culture. Positive. So i took the valtrex it went away i felt normal again. Then I got pregnant with twins. Had one outbreak during pregnancy but wasnt near as bad as any of the others, I took one dose of valtrex and kept everything dry. It healed up in a week as long as I kept it dry it doesnt seem so irritated and heals so much faster. Now the kids are 16 months and ive been getting them more frequently it seems like every other mentrual cycle I get that pressure in my abdomin and sort of sharp quick itch type feel because the word tingle doesnt quite describe it. I take the medicine and go about my day.. Ive just grown used to it now. If it gets to the point i have any other symptoms besides pressure and tingle its only because I didnt take the meds as soon as I felt the pain. Sorry im so late to respond. I hope your find a way to get yours under control.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply! Mine is not currently out of control. Thing is, I still don't know how "good" or "bad" it will be for me, which is what worries me, the not knowing. Sounds like you have it okay, all things considered and in terms of frequency, and it's good that you're able to nip it in the bud. Still dreading my first recurrence and can only hope it's mild and months away, if not longer! Fingers crossed!!
    • Posted

Im trying to remember

You arent doing daily suppression correct?

I have been reading alot about olive leaf to decrease frequency and severity.

Who knows, there seems to be alot of things to try.

• Posted

No, I'm not on antivirals because I want to see how my body handles it naturally first, plus I've no current relationship to speak of, so no need to reduce transmission. Not planning on men or sex for a few months either, since I think it's best to get over the most infectious stage first and strengthen my body in the meantime. Going to live like a nun for the time being! :s Lol
    • Posted

I will be interested to watch your journey

I hope its smooth

• Posted

Thanks! Yeah, I'm going to keep an outbreak diary and will definitely post an update, either way. Hoping I won't have much to report!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.