I've been taking Champix for 7 weeks now & feel like I'm going mad

Posted , 4 users are following.

I feel like I've got every side effect from taking Champix you could possible have. As soon as I started the course I felt sick, thought it was a small price to pay if it meant quitting. 7 weeks in it no better at all.  The fatigue has taken over my life, 10 mins into an activity of any kind, and I can bearly move. Which is not helping with the weight gain or house work.    When I'm asleep I dream of people getting hurt in accidents, I also dream about conversations I'm having. These dreams feel so real that when I wake I don't know what's true and what's not. Now I'm in that 7th week I realise I must be depressed too, as I can't stop crying.   What's not helping, is the fact that I haven't felt any better for not smoking,  I don't think I or my marriage can stand another 5 weeks of this hell but I'm so scared of smoking again that I'm too scared to stop taking the Champix.   Does it getting any better?

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi. Poor you, glad you posted. Firstly, congratulations on stopping smoking. That is a massive achievement. Champix has helped you get over the really difficult first week of being fag free. In the short term , try to avoid smokers and smoking, and anything you associate with smoking...eg strong coffee. Keep telling yourself that you are a non smoker and you will never smoke again. Think of the money you are saving and the enormous long term health benefits. Your lungs are now starting to clean themselves and you will probably cough and spit up yukky stuff for quite a while. I stopped with Champix over a year ago and after about three weeks began to have some unpleasant side effects....nausea, headaches and wierd dreams. The first thing I would suggest is to reduce your dose by half and see how you go. Maybe halve the tabs and take half in am and half in pm. The important thing is you are aware of your mental state. If you dont see a quick improvement in your mood, you may have to stop taking them. Im sure over the course of the day you will get loads more advice here.....please keep in touch with us. X
    • Posted

Thanks Debbie  I didn't take a pill last night. No bad dreams I'm pleased to say. In fact, I feel so much better all round.  Pretty scary that a tablet can make you feel like that. Now I know it's not me and it's the tablets. I feel stronger. I'm going to carry on with the course, on the lower dosage. I'M A NON SMOKER NOW. Thanks again
    • Posted

Soooo pleased for you. It just shows how effective Champix is. Its just a case of getting the dose right.  To be honest, after about 8 weeks I kept forgetting to take my tablet, and I think I stopped altogether at about 10 weeks. We are here if you need anything! X
    • Posted

Thank you, That's music to my ears.  Anymore, wobbles and I'll be sure to be  on here. x
  • Posted

yes well done Suze I agree with Debbie half dosage could be the answer but most people i know that have given up with champix  have problems to begin with but it will get better and it gives you a better chance of being smoke free for ever so good luck
    • Posted

Thanks Graham. I'm going to stick with it. on a lower dosage. having missed one tablet, I feel so much better.  Thanks for your ssupport
  • Posted

Well done for getting through 7 weeks.  It would be worth talking to your GP.  I took Champix for 6 days recently and have never felt so ill. My GP told me to stop taking it.  Two weeks later I started a course of Zyban (which I have used with success before).

Dont put up with these dreadful side-effects, see your doctor.

keep up the good work and good luck

• Posted

After having such a horrid time while taking Champix, I dropped the dosage that helped a lot. Then I began taking one tablet every other day, then every two day. I got to the stage where I couldn't be bothered to take any. For what was meant to be a twelve week course, I managed 8 1/2 weeks. That bit doesn't sound that great!  But I been going solo now for a few weeks and I'm still not smoking, I'm finding it easier than I thought. Long may I stay smoke free..... 
    • Posted

I did the exact same thing and I worried just like you. But 18 months later, I havent had one cig. Freedom! You HAVE done it...you ARE a non smoker. Onwards and upwards!
  • Posted

YAaaa well done suze that sounds like the best christmas present you can give yourself and with winter on its way who wants to stand outside. I know some people who stoped the Champix early went back to smokeing but the fact you seem to be ok and doing well hats off to you keep up the great work and I hope you have a great Christmas.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.