so devistated of the side effects

Posted , 4 users are following.

I took Tavanic antibiotic after a month I started developing symptoms 

like joint pain 

muscle weakness and fatigue 

muscle spasms 

I get horrible suddden spasms in my thighs 

after getting into this group readin out of curiosity I realized that i have taken this drug and it's from the family of Levofloxicin 

( I'm in the middle east ) I had no idea about the side effects it would produce 

I didn't have any of these side effects at the time I was taking the medicine 

But now I do have this generalized weakness in my body 

I'm going paranoid I'm only 23 and I feel my life has come to an end already 

are the symptoms reversable ? can they reduce over time ? I'm so scared I just can't think straight anymore 

Please if anyone had recovery tell me cos I'm so depressed 

3 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I'm so sorry Marielle. I took Tavanic and also between 1991-1998 I took a few course of Nalydixic Acid. I am about 70% recovered fro my tendonopathies, though I have other ADRs. Things are so much better for me now.

I suggest you follow the link I gave to Kelly a few hours ago and look at the sites the moderator lists too.

You can hopefully get better...most people do.

Take care and don't hesitate to post again. If you're on Facebook, there are Groups you can join for info and support.

Plodding on

• Posted

Hi Marielle. I answered you on your other thread...ok. Others will find you here too.

Plodding on

• Posted

Forgive me. I'm half asleep. I thought I'd answered you on the thread Kelly was on and you joined the discussion. I've obviously got myself confused....sorry.

Plodding on

• Posted

Thank u so much for your reply 

I took the drug for 5 days 

and developed symptoms after 3 weeks and I still feel tired 

I can walk and I am thankful a great deal for it but my knees hurt so bad 

my tendons hurt all over my body 

I wish I can find a rehab program or some advice on what can promote recovery or foods that can help 

Thank u very much Plodding on you are simply saving lives 

• Posted

Hi Marieelle, I quite understand how frightened you must be feeling right now.  To take a drug you've been prescribed and then find it's harming you is a terrilbe thing.  You said you're going paranoid - which is absolutely normal with Tavanic (Levofloxicin) as it's one of the adverse reactions! 

Follow the links Ploddingon has sent you, and read her posts on other discussions about quinolone antibiotics.  She knows a lot because she's suffered a lot! I've also contributed on some of the other threads.  My husband took Ciprofloxacin (another of the quinolone antibiotics) and I panicked when I realised what was happening to him.  I'd never heard of quinolones before that happened - and just now I learned about the name Tavanic, so thank you!

There are websites such as FloxieHope  which was set up by Lisa after she was harmed by the antibiotics.  You may find ideas for feeling better there.  The only advice I can give is to rest your poor body as excercise will probably cause more damage.

Can you talk to your doctor?  Doctors know that these drugs can cause side effects (it's on the label), but most of them don't realise that these dreadful adverse reactions like the ones you're suffering now are actually caused by the antibiotic that they prescribed! 

About recovery - yes, affected people (often called 'floxies' - and you've been floxed!) do recover.  Some more quickly than others, but it mostly takes a long time because your body has to work hard to repair the damage to your cells. It seems to me that rest and a healthy diet both help (so no junk food or drinks - and certainly nothing with aspartame in like diet coke).  If you can keep a positive attitude (you WILL get over it) it will be better than if you let yourself panic.  I have heard that uncontrollable crying is something that happens so you are allowed to do that just a little!  You're very young, you will get over it, you need to be brave and put your energy into finding out what you can about these terrible drugs instead of moving about too much.  If you can pass your new knowledge onto others so they don't get harmed, you will have achieved something wonderful.

Keep in touch, and we're thinking of you.

• Posted

Thank u so much Miriam for your reply 

I hope I will be able to get through this 

Yes i did have a couple of panick attacks lately I thought of every disease it can be I've done hundreds -literally- of blood tests thinking it may be anything else and my family think I'm just complaining and it's all in my head but now I know it's from the drug

my whole GI is messed up 

my muscles are in horrible pain and weakness my kidney function is comprimised I can't believe all this 

I just thank GOD that at some point whenI read other peoples experiences I feel happy and blessed that I can walk and play with my little sisters and even drive to small distances 

Thanks alot Miriam and I will push myself to recovery and will share my experience towards recovery and share awareness 

I've watched a couple of really good videos online that sound helpful 

Regards 

• Posted

Hi Miriam

I am in the same boat as marielle regarding tendinitis and painful muscles. The sensation is so bizarre and distressing.

I am also having panic attacks and feel my life is over.

Any tips or advice on how to gt through this nightmare and/or tps on diet, any meds that may hhelp me would be most welcome. Thanks

Lucy.

• Posted

Hi Lucy,

All my tips are really in the post that I sent to Marieelle above.  Floxie hope has all the info you could want (address in pinned post at top of this thread), plus they have a very active forum where contributors give each other lots of advice. My tips for diet are above as well - eat healthily - and don't panic!

Hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

hi Lucy how r u doing wanted to PM u but wasen't able to how r u doing 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.