Cystoscopy - Piece of Cake

Posted , 7 users are following.

I was so nervous about having a Cystoscopy that I even canceled the appointment the first time but then I had blood in my urine and had to reschedule.  I had the procedure yesterday and it was a piece of cake. Not only did I not have PAIN but I wasn't even uncomfortable and I didn't get any burning after either.

2 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Glad your experience of cystoscopy was a good one, l had a flexible one a couple of months ago and that was also quick and easy without any pain or discomfort at all, , also done due to blood in urine. l did have one years ago where i did have discomfort afterwards, which is more to do with any problems re inflammation, hunners ulcer, for me intersticial cystitus,  that are  in the bladder wall,  so discomfort is  more to do with pre existing conditions being aggrevated than the procedure itself,  which really is only about looking with a camera or taking a tiny biopsy which is generally easy and painles.   
  • Posted

Excllent. I have had two cystoscopies. The first one, done under local anesthesia,  was the most painful experience of my life, head-over-heels worse than recovering from open heart surgery.

My second cystoscopty was done under generl anesthesia. Painless.

• Posted

Yes they don't hurt.  Had it done 2 times.  The second one hurt more when he tryed to get into my prostate.  That hurt had a urolift done and all is well take care  Ken 
  • Posted

Cystoscopy was one of the most traumatic experiences of my life, and I ahve had more than a few of those - it took weeks to get over it physically, and a lot longer for the psychological damage.

Far worse than the Ureteroscopic Lithotripsy I had later, which of course was far more invasive, but done via general anaesthitic, and even though that left me with permanent pain it was not nearly as traumatic.

• Posted

Just curious. Was the procedure done under local anesthesia? GA? Analgesics alone? Nothing at all?
    • Posted

In the UK it is invariably done using "Instillagel" a Lidocaine containing lubricant gel. This is supposed to be used FIVE minutes before the scope is put in, but if you get 5 seconds wait that's all that will happen. Not spoken to anyone who has had it the correct way by waiting at least 5 minutes. It's all about, Hurry hurry hurry!  The end result is, you get the pain from the gel (it stings, but that's not a big deal), it lubricates but does NOTHING for the pain in that short time; the drawback is, then the aneasthetic efect comes on well after the event, and as a result gives an odd sensation and dificulty when trying to pee later. In all, it is no benefit this way, and probably makes it worse than plain gel would be!

I was back to normal in about 2 weeks this time, it was SIX weeks the previous occasion, so consider that I got off lightly.

• Posted

I live in Orlando Fl.  I have them done every other month to make sure the stricture I have is ok.  The nurse puts in the gel and claps the penis for about 5 minutes.  Mose of the time I don't feel anything ontill he get closer to the prostate because the gell does not go that far down.  I feel fine after.  Ken
    • Posted

Lord! Every other month!? I doubt if I would be fully recovered before the next one was due! I can do no more than expess sympathy. 

Correct me if I am wrong, but surely a worsening stricture is going to be relatively self diagnosing, in that if you are passing urine easily it's still fine, but if it is at all restricted, then it's not? Having an enlarged prostate myself, this seems to be the way my Urologist sees it for me!  I all but cried publically when I was told I needed the last Cystoscopy.

I am not sure I could cope with that intense frquency of this sort of deeply invasive activity routinely, I have serious chronic pain and already walk a fine line where it might not have to get too much worse than it is now before I would have to seriously consider ending it all. The continuing prospect of the misery of a Cystoscopy every 8 weeks might well bring that a lot closer. As it is, now I seem to continually develop Kidney stones it has acclerated that process as ALL Urological procedures are so acutely (and chronically) painful and miserable, even those which are carried out under General Anaesthesia, as the after effects are so dreadfully unpleasant - I have suffered hell on earth for over 2 years since the last Ureteroscopic Lithotripsy procedure has left me with constant but undulating pain preventling me even driving for more than about 20 minutes as the pressure of sitting against my kidney leaves me in more pain. Even meticulous control of diet and fluid intake has failed to make the slightest difference - the stones are back as quickly as if I hadn't bothered, so I know I face more treatments and the pain they bring, but it's not THAT frequent!

• Posted

Hello my friend.  If it is good this this time he may may it longer.  It is very uncomfortable.  It only hurt bad one time a year ago when my prostate was inlarged.  He could not get the camera in.  My urolift was great I'm glad I am in a time that they came up with new form of help for us men.  I am sorry that you have pain after just try to relax take care  Ken   
    • Posted

Let's hope you don't need it so often in future then!

My BPH is not very severe thankfully, but even that left me with a lot more bleeding following Ureteroscopy, and during the Cystoscopy recently a clear "neck" around the exit to the bladder was visible on the monitor. Day to day I don't find it gives any serious problems, although I am better still with Alpha blockers, (they help with the renal colic from the kidney stones) with those I have virtually no BPH symptoms at all, they have also had the beneficial side effect of much reducing Raynaud's Phenomenon (cold hands & feet), so this winter wasn't nearly as uncomfortable as the last one, although we have had a very unusually mild Winter this year too in the UK.

• Posted

Ian.  I have gotten use to it don't like it that much but we have to do things we don't like but I trust my Doctor he try to be gentle.  I have one done on April 1 Maybe if all is ok he will let me go till the end of the year.  Take care and good health  Ken 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.