Splenectomy and doctors

Posted , 6 users are following.

I had a splenectomy at about 18 months old after being involved in a car accident. 23 years on I take my penicillin when myself or people around me are ill. I am always so cautious when I'm ill and visit the doctor because for every illness going, websites such as the NHS one always say if you have no spleen see your doctor! However, I often feel like it makes no difference when I go for an appointment with doctors often refusing to give me antibiotics for a throat infection (today) or an ear infection (a couple of months ago). I know they say it's viral, but I was under the impression that we should be given antibiotics as a precaution! What are everyone else's experiences of this?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hannah, I'm not in the UK, I'm in Ireland and I have not had anything like your experience. I have a recurring prescrition for antibiotics and would always take them if I feel unwell - regardless if it's viral. I always feel it is taken seriously and factored into my assessment / treatment. My doctor documents my vaccinationdates and is pro-active in advising when the're due.

Maybe you should change doctor 

• Posted

Hello Hannah. I have had splenectomy also. My prescription is Penicillin V x 2 times a day. That is everyday for life. When I have a raised temperature or possible chest infection or any infection I am seen same day by GP practice. Since splenectomy I have ear infections which are sometimes bacterial and sometimes fungal. I am seen straight away at onset if symptoms. If its bacterial infections i am treated with additional antibiotics. I get infected insect bites in the summer I am seen same day and treated with additional antibiotics. Also I have regular vaccines for flu, Pneumonia, Meningitis c and now this year , the Meningitis b vac is now on vaccination list for asplenia. I believe these treatments are laid down for all on nhs. Hope this helps. All the best - Pauline
  • Posted

Yes you have to have antibotics every time your sick with anything to prevent infections and secondary infections.
  • Posted

I am treated the same way. Then I get sicker and sicker, and develop secondary infections. If the doctor would just give me antibiotics to begin with, I wouldn't get that sick. I feel the doctors I see don't take spleenectomy serious.

• Posted

Hannah. My inderstanding of the rule is that the doc should see you straight away with a raised temperature. I got sore throat 21 days ago and no raised temperature. I ignored it and it had caused a chest infection 7 days later. Ive had 21 amoxicillin 500mg over 7 days which haven't worked and am now taking

another 7 days course of Doxycycline. Still no improvement whatsoever yet. I have 4 days to go. This is the result of acting like I did when had a spleen. I am very unwell. Always go to the doctor for any infection. Virus can cause congestion in lungs and bacteria will grow in congestion if no working spleen.

• Posted

Hannah. My inderstanding of the rule is that the doc should see you straight away with a raised temperature. I got sore throat 21 days ago and no raised temperature. I ignored it and it had caused a chest infection 7 days later. Ive had 21 amoxicillin 500mg over 7 days which haven't worked and am now taking

another 7 days course of Doxycycline. Still no improvement whatsoever yet. I have 4 days to go. This is the result of acting like I did when had a spleen. I am very unwell. Always go to the doctor for any infection. Virus can cause congestion in lungs and bacteria will grow in congestion if no working spleen.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.