Amitriptyline (Elavil) Withdrawal

Posted , 18 users are following.

i've taken amitriptyline on and off for about a year, from 10 mg up to 75 mg. for the past three months i've pretty regularly taken 50 mg every night. i am completely fed up with the spaceyness, grogginess, fatigue, weight gain and lack of clarity.

i quit cold turkey about a week ago and the anxiety, nausea, headaches, and confusion/ spaceyness from the withdrawl has been pretty rough. i really want to tough it out, get it out of my system and finally feel normal again.

does anyone have any tips, advice or information on how to get through this safely or how long this may last?

3 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I take 25mg 6-7pm..no problems with pain or sleep, took months to get my dosage right..i went from a zombie all day, to it not helping at all...ive been on the same dosage now for 16 years...never had it increased..withdrawals 😥are terrible..when i had to come off tbe zombie dosage...but it only lasted days..i did it gradual...hope you get some info that works for you emmlandi, remembering, we are all different..be blessed, have a lovely day😚
    • Posted

CONDINE is for withdrawal symptoms I've been thru it all now I don't leave docs office without script if med change or taken off a med look up on line life saver don't understand why docs don't give patients this 100% life saver and of course GOD !!!

• Posted

I'm sorry not codeine. ITS CLONDINE

• Posted

Hi emmlandi

With those side effects please do this with the help of your GP, try coming down very slowly, maybe start with 1/4 of a tablet at a time, see how you feel after about a month, then starting cutting a smaller bit off for another month, do,nt rush it, take your time.

If you need to do this for longer before going down, do so, only you know how you will be feeling. This is how I did it after taking this tablet for 15 years. I choose to come off this tablet slowly and took 2 and half years to cut it out completely, I did not want to feel palpations, it felt like i was having a hear attack so doing it for the length of time I choose was better for me. I am completely off this tablet for some time now. I was on 50mg. This is not a nice tablet. I was given it to help me sleep. Exercise is the best thing to help with this problem, not tablets. Again, Please do this with the help of your GP.

• Posted

I'd suggest not going cold turkey and gradually reducing your dose down by 5mg every couple of nights, you may need to half tablets but it will be much better doing it over a few weeks, i tried cold turkey and felt horrendous then tried reducing the dose gradually and was fine that way. Just a suggestion
    • Posted

Emmkandi, Totally agree with laura here...taking a mild sedative whilst doing it too really helps...especially coming down, if a strong dose make sure your doing this with your dictors supervision..😚
  • Posted

If you are coming off it completely and you were taking a high

Dosage, maybe your doctor could give you a small dose of

valium to take daily..often done ar rehab centres.. mm. cold turkey from a high dose must be terrible. Poor you..feeling for you...Be blessed.,😕

• Posted

Emmlandi,

Any tablet that is suggested, whether it be mild dose or heavy dose please go to the forum for that paticular medication, see the side effects of going on it as well as coming off it, this way you are making an informed choice. We are all different and valium is an addictive medication with lots of side effects when going on it and coming off it. So research it and make an informed choice with your GP.

• Posted

I'm hoping that you are well and coping with your withdrawal, not a way I intend to go, but I've reduced by 25mg over the last week, and had a few niggles, and feel a depression, but I have family problems, so putting it down to that mainly.

i am amazed at the reactions most people get from Endep, and pleased that I didn't and don't get the same bad stuff.  I did get a lot before I dropped other tablets and lowered the dosage of others.

• Posted

Hi everyone.

I've been taking 25 mg of amitriptyline for about a year for chronic back pain - which didn't actually help as much as I hoped- and have decided to stop at the end of the year.Despite the fact that I had discussed this with my GP who gave me a lower doce of 10 mg, I have not been warned at all about any side effects and wasn't adviced to come off it slowly so I decided to just stop if cold turkey whilst I was on holiday during the Xmas break. As the medicine made me sleepy I thought it was going to be a problem for a few nights and might disturd my sleep, but I didn't think of any other possible side effects.

How naive I was!!!

Insomnia was only the begining. I had severe nausea for a week- I thought I had fod poisoning. Then I started to feel dizzy- I thought I pulled my neck. Then started to cry for no reason. And about 10 days ago, approx 3 weeks after I took my last 10 mg tablet I started to have anxiety and last Friday I had a full blown panic attack and I ended up at A&E and was sure I was going to die. The anxiety and dizyness keep getting worse even a month after the last tablet. I have never ever had panic attacks before and at A&E they didn't know what was wrong with me neither. I kept thinking I was going to loose my mind and go crazy. It's been a very  bad 1-2 weeks.

I have no idea why my GP has never mentioned that this medication has very serious withdrawal symptoms and why I have not been given advice on stoping slowly.

I have no idea how long things will take to get back to my normal self again... it is very very scary.

Has anyone recovered safely from these terrible withdrawal symptoms? how long did it take?

• Posted

yes, rigorous excersize !!

really good for combatting withdrawal symptoms.

- puts body and whole system in a new revitalised form

- shakes the whole body up , so that when it settles later, it settles in a new refreshing way

- the more rigporous the better, even 3 minutes of intense excersize, so good for the system, can't recommed it highly enough

i did 200 prostrations at the gym the other day, later in evening all my withdrawal symptoms from stopping amitriptyline had eased loads, i mean loads, to the point there was hardly any left

• Posted

Hi just wondered how the withdrawal was going I was on 100mg for 18 months doc said to reduce by 20 every 5 days I have just done 5 days and the tiredness all day long is horrible I also have a little blurred vision I'm coming off them because they made my eyes sensitive to light v badly and I was like a zombie day in day out so fed up got to go onto paroxetine for my anxiety disorder I just feel so physically ill every day for the past 2 years and it's not getting any better just needed reassurance that things will get better as I feel so low
  • Posted

Hi, I was just wondering if you have gotten past the withdrawals from the ami, and how long it took all up? I have taken 100mg at night for pain for the last 3 months. I quit cold turkey a week ago and I've been going through some nasty side effects too. Ecspecially Nausia.

I was just wondering how long yours lasted?

I'm also on venloflaxin and targen still. I think they are taking the edge off the withdrawals but I'm going to have to taper off them soon too.

Hope you are well now!

• Posted

I tried to withdraw and I had flu like symptoms and hallucinations.  It was horrible.  Trouble is I can't sleep without it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.