Parotid gland disorder

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have a parotid gland which is quite swollen. I have had lots of tests which have all proved negative but am now thinking of exploring the possibility of surgery as the lump on my face is unsightly.  This gland has now been swollen for almost a year and I have been told it will probably never return to normal, although if I opt for surgery I don't think it will be on the NHS as the tests were negative.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi roxy,  I have just recently been diagnosed with a swollen parotid gland. I read your post. I was wondering whether you have had it treated. Thanks.
    • Posted

Sorry I hadn't read your post before, but my reply to Grannyshell cover your query.  I know this surgey is a challenge to the surgeon because of all the nerves from he gland which feed into the face.  I hate the lump but will have to rely on the advice of the surgeon I see every three months or so.   Be interested to hear how you get on over due course of time.

All the best.

• Posted

I have had two Parotid gland surgeries, the first was a swollen lympnode in my gland and the second time I had a complete parotidectomy because it was a Pleomoric adenoma. You are correct in that they will not go away and if left untreated they can turn into cancer.

Your facial nerve runs through your parotid gland, so find a good head and neack surgeon.

Best of luck.

• Posted

My previous text disappeared so this may be a repeat.  (the vagueries of the internet).   I have read so much re this parotid issue and understand there are many variants.  The surgeon I see has a good reputation and I know this from the experience of one of my friends.  However, my left paroid gland has been with me now for over 12 months and the said surgeon doesn't seem unduly worried.  All  tests have proven negative.   I, therefore, press on trying to disguise the minor disfigurement and keep up with my hospital appointments.

Regards

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.