Husband high cholesterol

Posted , 4 users are following.

my husband has just come back from the gp who has just presribed him a box of statins for high cholesterol. He said his cholesterol was 26.  That's not right is it.  I am sure it must be 6.  I knew I should have gone with him!   Gp says it's not that high, not too much to worry about so it must be 6.  What do you think. Surely if it was 26 he would be almost dead.  He got more helpful explanation from the pharmacist at the chemist.  He came home frightened out of his life.  Now we shall look at his diet.. And put his mind at rest. Should he take the statins and try to deal with this with his diet. 

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi,I'm no doctor but like you ,I've never heard of anybody having cholesterol  of 26, You've probably got it right at 6. But if your worried he's got it wrong I would give your GP a ring and check.

Last time I had mine done about 4mths ago,I was told it was 7 and my GP said to go on statins,which I didn't want to because I take such a lot of other medication for other health problems,so I said can I try to reduce it by diet and I was told no,because there was a high chance of a heart attack or stroke. And that's at 7, so I think 26, no chance.

check it out.

• Posted

He had just told me that 'overall' for his age his levels are 26.  He doesn't know his cholesterol level.  He is 65 and was told the average health levels are 20 so I don't know what that is all about .  He got some bencol today, poor love he was wandering around out of his comfort zone in the supermarket as he was frightened to put his regular stuff in th trolley 
    • Posted

Surely that concerns you enough to enquire,what he's been told.

Im afraid that nowadays if you sit back and question nothing,your adding to your hubby's anxiety.

• Posted

I know I think he will have to phone the GP and find out what level his cholesterol was.  As I mentioned before the pharmacist was more helpful. 

• Posted

The surgery will have the LDL and HDL values on record as well as the overall value. No need to speak to the Dr. unless they can't give it to you.
  • Posted

I have just come back from my Doc after having a Cholesterol and blood check,i am a little high at 6.5,    I'm a 63 year old and very healthy,and am not taking any other mediciens.I have a QRISK score of 16.2%.This im told means that out of 100 people i have a 16.2% chance of having a heart attack in the next 10 years.I have been told to reduce my intake of saturated fats and have been given a form for a subsidised term at a gym.Then in 4 months i have been instructed to return for a futher test before consideration is given to statins.I feel extremely positive and excited at the prospect of taking charge and moving forward and very much appreciate the warning i have been given,its now fully in my hands to help myself to improve my health.I do hope this helps a little to those of you who are worried,please dont despair but move forward be positive,its never to late to improve things.Take the warning and run with it ,at least you have had a warning!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.