Allergic Perrenial Rhinitis

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello I was diagnosed with this earlier this year having suffered on and off for years.  I thought it was possibly silent reflux as in addition to the sneezing and nasal problems I also lost my voice throat clearing and throat mucus.

I had a throat scan in March and was everything ok and got the rhinitis diagnosis.  I am sure this all started in 2007 after starting on blood pressure medication Amlodipine which has this sort of symptoms as a possible side effect.  I developed some weird virus throat and chest which took ages to clear up.  Afterward I was left with occasional sneezing fits which resulted in lots of mucus afterwards which I had to keep hacking up (excuse the description).  As it was not very often I just forgot about it.  I was given Dymista by the consultant for the rhinitis but silly me I did not take it when I saw that it might cause glaucoma.  I have already had 2 cataract operations and have early glaucoma in one eye.

I already take steroid inhaler for asthma (I believe asthma and rhinitis go hand in hand) so did not want to take any more.  In August I was started on glaucoma drop Azopt which is fine on the eyes but I am now wondering if this has made the rhinitis worse.  Once again listed as a possible side effect.  I would be loathe to change as I am limited to the drops I can have and they are fine on the eye.  I am going to the eye clinic today and will mention it but I always think you don't really get any definite answers to questions about side effects.  The main thing I wanted to ask was this.

Does any one have this happen to them sneezing fits could be just a couple of sneezes or 6 or 7 but always followed by awful throat mucus which takes upto half an hour to get rid of which is very embarrasing if you are out in public.  I suppose it is post nasal drip.  I wonder if I should ask my gp for dymista again and try it. Anyone used it.  I believe it is a steroid and antihistamine combined.  I am on a lot of medication  in pain with arthritis, IBS, and suffer from anxiety so not a good combination.  Thanks for reading this.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, have just come across this. I have recently been suffering with a persistant cough , excessive mucus etc. . My gp says it's probably post nasal drip. I too take inhalers as pneumonia last year left me with mild asthma, and I also take amlodipine for high BP. The cough is driving me insane..nothing seems to help, and I am now worried as I am having ankle surgery on Friday. Wary about the anaesthetic. Are you any better, if so , what worked? Thanks.
    • Posted

I have had a bad cold just after Christmas still trying to get rid of it.  It has made everything worse hopefully things will improve once the cold goes.

With regard to the amlodipine it does state that although not common nasal problems like rhinitis can be a side effect.  I thought this too some years after starting the amlodipine I got a virus and was left with awful mucus and sneezing.  My gp did not think so and said even so most of the BP drugs in that group cause side effects and I am limited to what I can take because of the asthma.  I do get mild ankle swelling with the bp drug.  I can understand that you are worried about the surgery and anaesthetic, but they will look after you and won't go ahead if they think you are not well enough.  So many conditions these days are related I think.  Good luck for Friday hope it all goes well for you.  Have you thought the cough and mucus could be a reflux or silent reflux problem the silent reflux and rhinitis symptoms do seem to overlap.

• Posted

Thanks. I am absolutely fine in myself.,just so sick of coughing. My gp insists that amlodipine does not cause rhinitis etc...and I have been back and forth since may. Hence I am trying to treat this myself!! Will let you know how I get on.
  • Posted

I have had Ryhinitis for about four years and Asthma started the same year. I am on inhalers and Montelucast for the Asthma, also Dymista too. Yes very jubious about using Dymista due to the eye problems, but Ryhinitis is rotten. Yes I have the mucous problems, it seems (sorry to be blunt) the mucous will either exit through the nose or enter the mouth, you can either swallow, though not nice, if out one has to. I find Fexofenidine antihestamine the best and have tried them all. I sometimes spend about an hour in the morning getting rid of mucous through the mouth, that has come from sinuses, it is amazing the amount mine is most always clear. Though this doesn't happen every morning, sometimes in evening if I have stayed up late. So I'm even later going to bed.

all the best Maureen

• Posted

Hello  Thank you for your reply.  First of all I never did take the dymista.

To bring you up to date.  In May of this year my gp gave me Loratadine and fluticasone steroid nasal spray.  In June we moved 200 miles away to be near daughter and family.  I carried on as usual but when I went to the new eye clinic for my glaucoma they found the pressures had gone up a lot.  With the knowledge of my gp I stopped both drugs and when I saw the eye doctor again the pressures had gone down to my base level.  I cannot be sure that the nasal spray was the cause but I am not willing to take a chance with my eyes.  I would have needed to increase my glaucoma medications with possible side effects.  How many people are taking one drug to deal with side effects of another.  You are right rhinitis is horrible and embarassing.  I am glad you are finding your treatment is working and if you don't have any trouble with your eyes then great.  The consultant at the hospital said although it is rare they can cause the pressures to rise.  When I was under Moorfields eye hospital they said I was a steroid responder so to be careful.  I can sympathise with you with trying to get rid of all the mucus as you say if not through the nose then the mouth which I think is worse.   I am now just using sterimar salt water spray and plenty of water and trying not to eat too many mucus forming foods.  I would never use a steroid nasal spray again but might look into trying the antihistamine again.  I am dreading getting another cold as I always end up with sinus problems.  At the moment I am dealing with a return of anxiety with all its symptoms and back trouble and the latest having to have a heart scan to see if I have Angina.  

I wish you well and hope you continue to do well on your treatment for your rhinitis.

Merry Christmas to you

Carol

• Posted

I meant to say I take asthma inhalers (symbicort and salbutamol ) and although I had no problems with them they too mention glaucoma and cataracts as a side effect.  Well I had cataracts in both eyes removed and the type they were are sometimes caused by steroids.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.