Planning future in the UK with Wet MD

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all, I hope there is someone here who can help me or give me guidance on where to find out the information I need. I am in my early 50's and got diagnosed with Wet MD in July this year. I had 3x4 weekly Eylea injections to which, I had a brilliant response. The 4th injection was stretched to 8 weeks but I deteriorated badly in the 6th week so am back to 4 weekly injections again and have had a laser treatment, which they are hoping will slow the growth of the capillaries. I respond well to the injections, but my consultant says that What I have is severe and aggressive as soon as the injection wears off.

So......my predicament......I live in Australia. I was born in the UK, lived there most of my life and moved out here 10yrs ago at my partner's request. We have since parted and all my friends and family are in the UK. Prior to the diagnosis of Wet MD, I had intended to return to live in the UK within the next 10 years. I had also considered moving to Spain and working in Gibraltar perhaps even sooner if I was able to get work. I'm a Registered Nurse.

My injections are covered by my private health insurance  in Australia. I wouldn't be able to get cover in the UK now for a pre existing condition.......so, would I be covered under the NHS? Or how could I get the injections?

2 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Anti-VEGF injections are covered by the NHS. I would suggest you contact the local hospital nearest to where you plan to live to get additional clarification. Good luck.
  • Posted

I agree with Guy. Is your British Passport up to date? You should be able to get treatment in the UK with the NHS but it is wise to ask the hospital first. I live in London and have dry mac and now Moorfields Eye Hospital have various sub-clinics in different areas on the outskirts of London. Unfortunately, I don't know whether they have clinics elsewhere, but there must be other hospitals away from London that will do this treatment, so I also suggest you phone the hospitals around the area you intent to stay. There is also a shortage of State Registered nurses in the UK so you stand a good chance of getting work. Good luck, Val. 
  • Posted

Thanks for that, I shall contact the hospitals directly. As a child, I spent many hours at Moorfields in London. They used me as a guinea pig as I have Pattern Dystrophy. I'd feel quite comfortable going back there if I could.

Yea,  my British Passport is current. I know I could walk into a job there....the trouble is affording to do so. I have been left financially ruined by a split with my ex. I got swindled out of almost everything. However, being back with friends and family means so much more to me. If I know I can get the injections there....so many doors are open to me.....very excited! 

Thank you!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.