Statin type medication

Posted , 2 users are following.

I posted on the site a few days ago but can not fine the post or if I posted it in the right place or not.   I had been having cramps in my feet and legs at night for years.  They started getting worse and there was no help from the medical profession.  I never in a million years would have suspected they were caused by my medications.   A year ago I started vomiting, I never felt so sick in all my years (72).  I called a friend who lives next door.  He took one look at me and said, "you are having a heart attack".  He gave me a shot of his nitro, crushed aspirin and called for help.  I immediately felt better after the nitro.  I was checked out at one hospital then rushed to a second hospital where a surgical team was waiting for me at emergency.  After they inserted a stent the doctor asked me what time I start having problems and after I told him he said that I could not be right as the place he inserted the stent was (can not remember exactly) 90 something blocked and I would not be alive.   I told him what my friend did and he said that he saved my life.  I did not feel like I had a heart attack, I had no chest pain and after about five days in the hospital the doctor agreed with me.  I did not have a heart attack.   I was started on some different medication including a second statin type medication.   My cramps in the feet and lower legs intensified.  I started having cramps on the side of my lower legs that were very painful.  I would wake up with a cramp, have to get up as staying in bed was impossible.  A year after the stent treatment I had a extremely painful foot cramp.  I sat on the edge of the bed, I was extremely hot all over and a different type pain started in my left leg just after the cramp eased off.  I started vomiting, same thing as a year ago.  I took a shot of my nitro and next I remembered I was on the floor.   I called 911 when I woke up.  After they arrived they discovered a broken mirror and cuts and bumps from my fall.  Again there was no chest pain indicating a heart problem.   They take me to the hospital and can not find anything wrong.  The cramps keep getting worse and then after the cramp eased off I started having unbelievable pain in the right leg from the thigh to my foot.  It was like it would ease off a bit then intensify past the point of being bearable.  The next night same thing, only it was both legs.  I do not know the words needed to describe the pain.  It started in the right leg.  Last I remember the pain was intensifying in the left leg.  I came to on the floor with a battered noise again.  I have a neurological movement disorder and a degenerated spine.  My thinking was that the muscle cramps were somehow causing the pain in the legs.  The pain was nothing like any muscle cramp pain or the burning pain caused in the thigh by a nerve in the spine.   This pain was far worse than anything I have ever experienced.  I was afraid to go to bed the next night and it was find what is causing it or I would have to say goodbye to my independence.   I found this site.  If any of you have ever thought that your posting was not worth your time you are very, very wrong.  When I started reading I could not believe that someone else has had this incredible pain.  I am a long time user of morphine for pain control and have been in pain most of my life but nothing like the other night.   I read your posts about the statin drugs for high cholesterol.  I have been taking hydrochlorothiazide.  I was also taking Rosuvastatin. I stopped them both.  I live alone and can not drive so will have to wait until I get supplies to get the Magnesium and Calcium tablets and the Tonic water.  Its been five days without the two medications and I have not had one cramp in the daytime or at night. I stayed up for two nights sleeping in my chair, I was afraid to go to bed.  Gone are the uncountable number of cramps in the daytime and some nights 6 or 7.   Thank you all and best wishes that all of you find a cure for your pain.   James  

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi James, yes, I'm sure lots of us reading your posting have fellow feeling for what you have been through. You mention "Magnesium and Calcium tablets and the Tonic water." but I cannot find any other ref in your posting about this.. the tonic I presume because of supposed quinine content. But why the other two. If you have a moment please let us know. And good wishes for a cramp free existence.
    • Posted

Hi Mathias, I spent two nights reading the posts on this site and a lot of the posts from people recommended trying Magnesium and Calcium tablets and the Tonic water for cramps.  There were many other suggestions that have worked for people that I would have tried.  I realise that what may work for some may not work for me.   At the time of my post I was prepared to try anything that would stop the cramps as the cramp pain was nothing compared to the leg pain that followed.    I searched all my medications for side effects after reading the posts about the statin type drugs for high cholesterol.  I stopped taking the two I referred to in my post.  I had my doubts that the cramps were caused by my medications.  There is no question now as the cramps have stopped.  This is life changing for me.  My old dog had to pester me to take him for a walk.  I am pestering him now.    I have found no cause for the incredible pain I had on the two occasions after a foot cramp and think it may be the same as some people have had related to a thigh cramp.  Its a different pain and intense.  I think it must be related to the nerve in the lower back that goes to the thigh.  I say this as my right thigh is now numb and there is a very slight pain when sitting.  I am off to pester the dog to take me for a walk.  All the best James
  • Posted

Hi James, many thanks for your reply. I have had similar very severe cramps since I was first prescribed a statin in 2001. (Know it was 2001 as I was taking round census papers and eventually had to stop taking those tablets as I couldn't walk for the pain - eventually 14 years later I had worked my way through every brand, and everything was the same, then was prescribed a BP lowering pill, which then produced vile side effects including another night cramp in a different leg muscle... so stopped taking both, in spite of the fact that the less than kindly GP was shouting at me that I had to take them. Saw a local cardiologist yesterday, and to my surprise he was understanding and suggested that I try again and a) make sure I was drinking enough liquids during the day, and b) take quinine if the cramps return. Someone at work suggested tonic water, which is why I was interested in your posting.  So thanks.... I will have to look elsewhere for an explanation of why magnesium and calcium. Enjoy your dog walkings... and best wishes for Christmas and the New Year.   Cheers, Mathias
    • Posted

Hi Mathias  I would not have searched for a reason to take anything that would have stopped the cramps.  With the tonic water the reason was explained to be the small amount of quinine it contained.  I would have checked the side effects of my other medications to see if they would interact with taking magnesium or calcium.  If not I would have tried them both.  Sometimes there is no know reason, it just works as people have said in there posts on this site.  There are also some posts about what to take in place of the statin type drugs for high cholesterol.  One looked very good and I will be asking my Dr about Lovaza and Fenofibrate.  Could part of the problem be a Dr that yells at you?  I am also going to look into my diet.  If I start eating better my dog may run away from home.   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.