Rosecea and Menopause?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I was just diagnosed with rosecea, and was wondering if menopause is a trigger? I have always loved spicy food, and now can't tolerate it at all. When I went to the dermatologist he told me to stay away from anything that heats up the body. He gave me metronidazole cream, but it doesn't seem to be helping. Has anyone just tried zinc ointment? I heard it cold sooth the burning. Also what is he best face cream to moisturize?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

The only thing that worked for me was (and still is) calamine lotion.  It has zinc in it and it takes the heat, redness and burning away almost immediately.  I try to stay away from things that make me flush like alcohol and hot food.  A hot flash doesn't usually cause flushing on its own but it will if I'm already hot or stressed.  I don't use a moisturizer, only alcohol free witch hazel with aloe after washing my face.  (Which I wash with selsun blue shampoo, for the sulfur in it.  I don't know if that helps but it doesn't hurt.)  My Rosacea is really not a big problem for me anymore using just these treatments.  

• Posted

Hi, i haven't tried zinc ointment but have found one of the best treatments for rosacea (of the dry, rough skin with bumps / spots variety) is organic extra virgin coconut oil. It is anti inflammatory & calms the skin. It also contains vitamin e to fade scars. Metronidazole cream didn't work for me either. The only things that help me are l'oreal cleanser for mature skin (might not suit everyone as it's perfumed but moisturing as contains magnesium to calm skin) or Diprobase lotion to cleanse, followed by Superdrug's very dry skin cream (no perfume/colourants), then the Groovy Food Company's extra virgin organic coconut oil that you can buy at the supermarket. I sometimes use Dermalex rosacea cream to calm the odd spot or red patch but sparingly as it's rather pricey. It's green in colour so it's helpful for spider veins & cooling the skin too. I think menopause can contribute to rosacea due to the hormone changes which can lead to drier skin & increased inflammation, not to mention hot flushes! But apart from hormones, i think the worst triggers are stress & heat. So avoid stress as much as possible, only wash in lukewarm water & pat face dry before applying moisturiser. I only developed rosacea recently & have spent a fortune on useless creams before I found anything that helped. I hope this helps you. Rosacea is hard to treat but if it's mild it can be kept in check with gentle skincare & avoidance of certain triggers.
    • Posted

Thanks for all the different products you have used. I have bought quite a lot of products too. I do think the coconut oil is helping. I live in the US so a lot of the products I'll have to get on ebay. I am interested in the Dermalex, as I do have a few spider veins.

I have been using Ponds hypoallergenic for sensitive skin to clense and it seems to be gentle enough and it keeps my skin moist. The thing that annoys me is the enlarged pores on my cheeks, hopefully things will calm down if I stay stress free and away from hot spicy food which I have always loved.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.