Weaning of Omeprazole

Posted , 30 users are following.

Dear all, I need help in weaning of Omeprazole. I have been a 20Mg a day user since 2002 and the last 5 years have been hell. I am now at the point that I really need to get off this drug, whatever my GP is saying. Does anyone have any tips and suggestions on how they got off the pills. The daily symptoms I'm having is terrible. Hope to hear from you soon.

André

0 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Andre...I dont want to give any advice about weaning off of Omeprazole...

I am on it for the first time in my life for 30 days..ends Monday. However, I have done some of the stuff below and plan to continue when I'm off of Omeprazole:

Simple Steps for Gastritis cure, Acid Reflux, Heartburn, or Gerd:Keep fast for 2 to 3 days using only liquid diet of milk, soy or almond milk, and buttermilk (Only if your medical condition and body strength allows) Note fasting gives time to inflammation in your stomach to subside and cleanses your system of toxins

Drink coconut water. It is an excellent natural food remedy for gastritis. It gives the stomach necessary rest and provides vitamins and minerals

After fasting or if you can not keep fast, take smaller meals and in between take milk or plain yogurt drinks (buttermilk)

Take 500mg of turmeric with each meal up to 4 times in one day

Take fresh fruits like apple, banana, all berries, and grapefruit separately (not with milk or meals)

Take only steamed and cooked vegetables with cilantro or mint and ginger

Drink 60/40 combination of carrot juice and spinach juice

Last meal should be taken at least 2 to 3 hours before bed timeContinue the above regimen till you see improvement in your gastritis cure. Gradually lower the turmeric to 1000mg per day and take 1000mg of Triphala after the last meal before bed time with warm milk.

Herbal Support: If you have occasional indigestion, use herbal formula Aci-Balance to promote balanced digestion.

Mastic gum resin,

Simple Steps for Gastritis cure, Acid Reflux, Heartburn, or Gerd:Keep fast for 2 to 3 days using only liquid diet of milk, soy or almond milk, and buttermilk (Only if your medical condition and body strength allows) Note fasting gives time to inflammation in your stomach to subside and cleanses your system of toxins

Drink coconut water. It is an excellent natural food remedy for gastritis. It gives the stomach necessary rest and provides vitamins and minerals

After fasting or if you can not keep fast, take smaller meals and in between take milk or plain yogurt drinks (buttermilk)

Take 500mg of turmeric with each meal up to 4 times in one day

Take fresh fruits like apple, banana, all berries, and grapefruit separately (not with milk or meals)

Take only steamed and cooked vegetables with cilantro or mint and ginger

Drink 60/40 combination of carrot juice and spinach juice

Last meal should be taken at least 2 to 3 hours before bed timeContinue the above regimen till you see improvement in your gastritis cure. Gradually lower the turmeric to 1000mg per day and take 1000mg of Triphala after the last meal before bed time with warm milk.

Herbal Support: If you have occasional indigestion, use herbal formula Aci-Balance to promote balanced digestion.

Mastic gum resin

Manuka Honey

Good luck

Theresa

• Posted

Thank you Theresa, great advice. I have started with a tumric/ginger tea (all fresh). Everyone is wondering why my fingers are yellow. But your advice is higly appreciated and will be used. 

Andre

• Posted

Andre

You are most welcome. I think I'm going  try to do a weekend 2 day luquid fast often....perhaps at last three times a month..of course doing the buttermilk, almond milk and coconut  juice. Hugs. Theresa

• Posted

What problems are you experiencing form being on omeprazole?

And what underlying condition are you taking omeprazole to treat?

20mg omeprazole is a low dose. It shouldn't be causing the hypochlorhydria related problems that many associate with the drug. (I took omperazole for 15 years in increasing doses to 80 mg daily over the last few years prior to fundoplication surgery which has left me medicine free.)

Normally one steps down gradually to prevent rebound effect of stopping quickly but on only 20mg that's unlikely.

If your problems are intolerance of omeprazole, you could try a different PPI (eg 30mg lansoprazole is equivalent).

If you'd rather not take PPIs at all, you could ask for an H2 blocker (eg ranitidine/Zantac) instead. It's not as effective at reducing acid hypersecretion and you would probably need 150mg or 300mg daily dose.

To come off medicine altogether would require identifying why you need it and removing that cause.

• Posted

Dear Barretts,

Wwhen I strated with omeprazole I had no trouble whatsoever, I was great. Allthough I did have an episode of a mild depressio, but I didn't attribute that to the ppi. For the last 4 years I have had a pain in my chest, an unwell feeling, a burning pain on the left side of my chest close to the collar bone (actually  you could say I have had all the side effects mentioned apart from the really nasty ones). When I press it, it gets worse. I've had an endscopie done nearly every year since 2002, the last one was at the end of 2014. I've had my heart checked more then I wanted, the last time a couple of months ago. I've had a scan done of my torso, also a couple of months ago. My GP is sick and tired of me, the inernist is extremely patient with me, but also I can see desperation growing. I am tired of myself as these unwell feeling has become a nasty part of my life. 

I have tried nexium and pantoprazol. Nexium didn't do it for me and I think the use of pantoprazol has made me intolarant of ppi's. This only happened 3 weeks ago. Whilst taking 20mg of pantoprazol I felt weak, the bloated with pain and frail, so I stopped after a week. I resumed taking omeprazole, and got the same effect. I made an appoinment to see my internist, on the 24th of dec, but until then I have been forced to stop taking ppi's. Thanks for the tip about zantac. I will take those when needed. Also gaviscon.

I read that fernugreek is good and baking soda ( the edible type). So I will try that also. I noticed since I stopped taking ppi's that carbs are a big nono for me. I had two croissants this morning and the burning sensation popped it's ugly head. 

Thank you Barrets for replying. 

• Posted

By the way I have been a 20 mg a day user for all these years.
    • Posted

Be very careful with the baking sofa.  Follow the dosing instructions on the package.  It can mess with your total body pH!

• Posted

Also, I had terrible symptoms from 20 mg a day.  Get your doctor to ck your iron and B12 levels. Ask for an iron panel not just a CBC.  The cellular stores of iron ( ferritin) are effected by omeprazole which is why it is now a recommended treatment for hemochromatosis (iron storage disease).  Circulating levels of iron, hgb, etc., may not change.
  • Posted

I took 3 different PPI meds over 4 months. The last was protonix. Due to HORRIBLE and somewhat debilitating side effects I just stopped! I did take Pepcid for about a week after. It's been about 3 weeks and I still feel crappy but better, and stmach pains are returning..grr.(mild gastritis). I'm changing my eating habits. The stomach pain is more bearable than the side effects. Felt like I was going crazy!!!! Best wishes.
  • Posted

I haven't been using omeprazole as long as you but I have recently started weaning off of it. My dosage was 40mg, 20mg in AM and 20mg in Pm. I've been taking the dosage for about 8-9 weeks before starting to taper off. I found out online that Omeprazole comes in 10mg so I asked my Doctor if she could prescribe it  for me which she did. Then I started weaning down beginning with the evening dose. My GI recommended removing the evening 20mg dose first for 1 week. I wanted to go slower so I took the 20mg in the am and 10mg in the pm for 1 week. Then this past week I went rather quickly to the point where I am now at 10mg in the am every other day. On the days I don't take omeprazole I use 1 40mg of Pepcid AC. Today is the pepcid today but I'm going to quit starting today and only take the omeprazole every other day. If I'm ok today and tomorrow, then I will go to every other day and then just quit.

You have been taking this medicine for way longer so you will probably need to take a longer time tapering. I have an article that I will send you privately.

• Posted

I took omeprazole for just 8 weeks and I got terrible acid rebound when I stop. I went to naturophatic Dr. And she help me to stop. She gave me DGL plus, aloe vera, mucosagen and ortobiotic. I took all those supplements while I reduced the Omeprazole. I past 4 weeks of pain, acid, regurgitation, difficulty swallowing, etc. First two weeks were terrible. The next two I really felf relief from aloe vera and dgl plus.

In my case omeprazole was terrible. I was feeling palpitations, dizzy, blurry vision. And a lot of burning (I thought that the burning was because of my acid reflux but now I can tell it was from a bad reaction to omeprazole) I almost could eat because the food was sitting on my stomach like forever. 

Now palpitations, dizziness, blurry vision and difficulty swallowing are gone!!! I still fell burning every day but nothing like before. The worst part of being on omeprazole was how difficulty it is to stop that medication. I think Drs. should tell their patients about that possibility. My Dr. told me take the pill for 2 months and if the symtomps return you can take it again. He told me that was safe to take it for life and mentioned that he has patients taking it for 15 years!!!!

• Posted

Hi Olga,

I was taking omeprazole for more then 10 years, but the last 4/5 have been a nightmare. I first blamed my burnout but as mentioned in my previous post it's the pill. I am somewhat happy to read that you endured terrible pain, dizzyness, blurry vision, etc as I have that also. This is my first week weaning of so I have some terrible weeks ahead. I am taking ranitidine and gaviscon for the acid. I am also drinking tea with fresh tumeric, ferngreek and ginger. My fingers are all yellow because of the tumeric. lol 

I will buy aloe vera. Aloe is great for nearly everything.

Thanks for the support

• Posted

Its not going to be easy but in my opinion its the first step for a recovery. What its the point of taking sush a powerfull drug if we are still felling acid reflux plus other symtoms?

Be strong its never too late to make a change. At the begging I wasnt sure if aloe vera was working but when the acid rebound calm (after a month) I notice how goog it was.

Good luck!

• Posted

Need to know whether symptoms are from acid or reflux. If acid, PPIs are the best way of reducing it.
    • Posted

Barrets,

the symptoms I mentioned have been there for years, whilst using omeprazole. Endoscopie check showed nothing, no damages, etc. after having everything checked I can only think it's omeprazole. But to be honest, now that i have stopped (since Friday) I got a whole new side effects. I have a feeling my whole internal system has gone haywire. Still I do not want to go back to omeprazole. Funny enough my GP adviced me to stop a year ago. I went cold turkey which is the wrong way, so I was on it three days later. 

By the way, I toke omeprazole because my esophagus doesn't close properly.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.