Arthritis in hips and shoulders disappear when I get a virus!

Posted , 5 users are following.

But after the sickness passes, I have a pretty bad relapse for several days. Currently on Sulfasalzine and Ibuprofen. Does anyone else have this weird pattern? Initial onset of pain was 8 months ago after a pretty bad head/chest cold. Nearly put my in a wheelchair. I'm forty.

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mary,

This may be a long shot...but the other day my rheumatologist said that "starvation" often causes arthritic symptoms to disappear. When you talk about being sick, are you sick enough that you aren't really eating? Maybe that could be it. You'd want to check with a doc, though; I don't know if the effect is as fast as you describe.

Beth

• Posted

hi Mary,

how are you doing now? can you plz recall exactly what sickness was? and medication prescribed? it might help billions suffering from this.

thanks

• Posted

Not exactly, but when I had antibiotics for a sinus infection the pain in my arthritic knee disappeared for quite a while.  Anyone else had this happen?
    • Posted

can you recall antibiotics name....and how are your symptoms now.....pain is back? what about functionality? any radiographics?
    • Posted

I meant respite, sorry. Brain fog!
  • Posted

I'm really curious about this. My doctor said that this is possible, and she beleives it's becuase the immune system is "distracted", focusing on the virus. She suggested that this is why people sometimes use hookworms ro bee-stings as therapy for auto-immune arthritis.

I'm trying to figure out I have RA or not. I recenetly was sick and my symptoms were worse, so I dont know what that means. Blood work comes back normal and my doctor things it may just be a symptom of depression. pain in fingers and toes... sigh...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.