Broken Ankle Sleeping in boot

Posted , 60 users are following.

Hi: I broke my ankle on 11/10, surgery on 11/19, cast off 12/7

I got the knee high boot to wear, I'm still non-weight bearing. He wants me to sleep in it but sleep is impossible. How vitally important is the boot to the bone healing? i wear the boot all day. I go back for x-rays the 21st. thanks!

3 likes, 116 replies

116 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello, I am sorry to hear about your situation and hopefully it will not take long for you to recover.

It is possible to sleep with the boot; but is, indeed, annoying. The reason he needs you to wear the boot while sleeping is to prevent any strong force (while sleep moving) from altering the healing position of the affected area. You need to understand that even the smallest movement could change the position arranged by the bones.

• Posted

thanks so much for your reply. I was afraid this was the case! I will attempt it again. 
    • Posted

Im sorry to jump in but my fibula and fibula wer broken the only thing they told me is to take it off for wen im driving & I understand y but I haven't been sleeping in my boot. Should I b sleeping with it? All I wear at night is my ace bandage thats under it. Should I b in my boot at all times BC I do move n goto the kitchen for food.

• Posted

It will most likely depend on your doctor. I just got out of a splint and they say its ok to sleep without the boot. 
  • Edited

Hi Judi

im in a boot cast 2 weeks post op. My splint came off last week. Pros of boot cast are you can air your foot. Cons, it's damn uncomfortable hitting each ankle with pressure, nothing is a good position. The cast has to keep the foot from moving around so the bones will set and heal. It has to be on 24/7 until you can weight bear again. I'm in the same boat, in my chair pretty much steady except for bed propped up on pillows. 

Question, are you getting feeling and sharp pains coming back into your foot?  Everyday is a challenge but I focus one day at a time. Wishing you well, 

best Jannie 

• Edited

thanks Jannie. Every once in awhile I'll feel a sharp pain but it is very infrequent. My doctor did ok me to take the boot off to do the flexing exercises and the alphabet. Otherwise with no weight bearing, no pain yet.  Are you resting on your broken foot occasionally? I could see that causing pain. wishing you well also. This is such a slow, frustrating process.  thanks, Judi
    • Edited

I hope things go smoothly although this is the worst thing I've been through thankfully I think it could have been worse, breaking my arm on the way down falling. It's no consolation but it helps me cope with what is. 

Take good care 

• Posted

I sometimes sleep with my boot in the daytime as its easier and quicker and wear a large plastic bag over it. I take it off at night time but i kept it on the first night as i was wanted to get some sleep which i hadn't in ages due to the pain i was suffering for 2 weeks before i realised my ankle was broken. Hina
    • Posted

2 weeks! You must have a high tolerance. I'm gonna try the recliner tonight
  • Edited

Hello,

i dislocated my outside ankle and broke 2 bones as well. My poor little foot is like it's frozen, can't move it at all. I feel for you all and for me I'm 65 and know I'm in for a very long rehab. Right now I'll be happy to be able to have my foot down. It's taught me more than living one day at a time but I know each of heal different so good luck and speedy healing.....

• Posted

I'm so sorry. I know I am fortunate that mine wasn't worse. I hope your rehab goes smoothly
    • Edited

Thank you for your kind comments i've no broken any bones in my life this is so new to me and very hard to get used to.
    • Posted

thanks today my husband lost patience with me its only been 2 days since i was fitted with my shield boot, i don't know how i'm going to manage with his temper i hate relying on other people too help me. i know i have lost my independence my husband has to do more work than before and he hatesit  i can't ask my children to help too much as they are still to young i'm worried how i'm ging to cope.
    • Posted

I broke my left ankle about 3 1/2 weeks ago. Just got a boot on it today. I have severe RH in most of my joints. I am 68 years old and thought I had a pretty high tolerance to pain, but by the time I got home I have experienced the most excruciating pain. My question is should I keep my boot ankle elevated? I would appreciate anyone who can answer this for me. This is worse than having a baby. Thank God it will come off on June 15th if all goes well. I really do feel for ANYONE going through this. God bless you all. 😍

• Posted

Hi Barbara. Sorry to hear about your ankle. wear that boot. It is miserable I know but you don't want any setbacks. Elevate as often as you can. And ice. Ibuprofen or Aleve. I am 3 months out. I have been discharged and can drive (thankfully the left also). The pain changes. It is worse at night. But the swelling will last for months from what I hear. I hope you have a good support team to chear you on. I will keep you in my prayers. God Bless!

• Posted

Hi Barbara, sorry to hear you're going through this! Definitely elevate your leg as much as possible, above your heart if possible. It's important to keep the swelling down as much as possible to help avoid further damage to the soft tissues. Also, avoid NSAID's like ibuprofen, as they can sometimes slow bone healing. Ice your foot during the day too. Best of luck smile

• Edited

Hi Barbara,

We're the same age.  I fractured my right ankle fibula in 2 places on May 27th.  Although I just had my sutures removed and am doing exercises, I wear the boot and keep my foot elevated the entire time I'm home.  It really does help ease the pain. Are you taking Tylenol or anything? 

• Posted

Try to hang in there .I am the same way.My daughter's r 13 and 15 and they r getting there first dose of reality.It must be hard to have young kids but my husband goes to work and then has to drive them to where ever. My kids have be super helpful with dishes and laundry but I has to hire a inexpensive cleaning lady for ev other week .I figured for the next 9 months no one better judge if my bed is made right. As far as grocery shopping etc. It sucks but I have been orde ing so much from Amazon just to fit over my 2 broken feet and ankles. Very bad car crash Said e ij am lucky to be alive. I have to take pain medicine only at night or I will not sleep And the boot comes off to let my leg and foot breath but back on to sleep.The other foot is really bad and has a brace and 2 plates 20 screws so I can not even hardly exercise it yet. When your husband loses it just go take a nap on the couch.YOUR kids can play on the floor .I will pray for u .he should be extra nice to u.u would take care of him,right .So just ask God to give u things like games on your phone or Netflix with your kids.i know it has to be super hard Maybe a friend or sister who could stop down and help. I have no close relatives that r helpful but my daughter's r doing great Once u can get around in a wheelchair u can do Ali more than u realize. Ok I am sorry to hear thst.emotional stuff stinks in the middle of a tough situation

• Posted

Hi I have s 13 and 15 year old that stepped up for laundry and dishes. I had to make arrangements for a maid once 17rh other week. I have 2 broken ankles.someone came over on my side of street Almost head on but I ended being cut out of car with 2 broken ankles I have 2 screws in one and 20 screws in the other. I am really independent too and am going nuts being bed ridden or couch ridden

I took up reading and watch do much tv. My surgery wss July 25 so Sept 18 my next appt will be 8 weeks I am hoping that at least the 1 foot will be ready to put some pressure but it is do scary because the bad foot is not even weight bearing in a boot yet. I do all the flex exercises.i have nothing else to do any way. I eat a lot of protein I take calcium and B12.oh i am 57 .so I hope by Christmas something is different. It really stinks relying on other people all the time.i feel for the elderly who always r in that position even more now. I adopted my kids ehen I was 51 so they r typical teens who want to do stuff. Summer sucked for them .I can not wait to be back to normal Just these 2 months has felt like a year but I do not want to do anything crazy to hurt myself .I want this to be a one shot deal and get it over with. Sometimes I may cry by yourself Just do it .it will pass.prayi g for evrryone

• Posted

We need family support at this difficult time. I have also broken my fibula and tibia and torn ligaments, undergone surgery and my wife has been extremely supportive. She has a full-time job, a toddler to handler. We are lucky to have my parents with us for a few months helping our family. This difficult time will pass, just have to stay strong and believe this phase is temporary.

• Posted

I am so sorry u rf going through this and u r lucky u have parents I am 57 but both out parents have been gone since we were married 31 years ago. I know medical insurance allows essential services for cleaning .look into that because that we help your wife .I wonder if disability insurance helps with daycare if u have to do that for 6 months.It stinks nut it will pass. MY KIDS R 13 AND 16 AND I AM MISSING EVETYTHING I think I will be ready for her 8th grade graduation now that the hardware is out .My 16 year old is mad bit that is a typical 16 year old Both girls... I feel for u seriously be patient with the exercises If u do a little each day it is better It is humbling trying to walk up and down driveway but u know what...u r strong and do not feel funny if u just say THIS SUCKS once it awhile but the bone needs to heal .It is wierd to go back in and let them take some out .The whole incident goes back in your brain ..... just be strong ....after it is over ,we will be happy just to walk around and see everything we missed
    • Posted

I have to agree with you regarding its worse than child birth. Sleeping in this boot is just as bad as labor pains. I guess it just takes getting used to. Still have a ways to go.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.