Weight loss and loosing faith

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm 20 years old and under medical investigation

I have close to 3 stone in 10 months with no change to diet no increase in exercise. My blood tests are coming back normal been tested all the usual hepatitis a,b and c hiv and Tb all negative. Ct scan done but won't get results until 22nd. My issue is that I feel everyone is feeling like it's in my head, saying you just need to eat more and you can always swallow more you need to try and man up. The thing is not just weight loss, it's fatigue, pains, sore joints, swollen lymph nodes, and I'm now beginning to feel even the consultants think it's in my head. I have depression, was diagnosed at 14 but on medication went to therapy until last year and feel like I'm doing really well until recently because they are making me doubt myself. Is this really in my head? I didn't think it was but after loosing support from my fiancé and him saying I need to force myself I'm loosing faith. Help!!

2 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Doctors will say it's "in your head" when they can't come to a conclusion on your illness.  We always think that a doctor has an unlimited amount of knowledge, but they actually don't.  Coupled with a dysfunctional health care system, if your tests come back negative and you're still persistant there's a problem, it's suddenly "in your head".  Doctors only can do so much when the tests come back negative.  Do they really have the time and resources to dedicate to solving your "mystery"?  I think not.   It's very disheartening when you sit down to get your results, excitement and hope building they have the answer and then nothing.  "Well, you're totally fine as far as I can see from your test results.  It must be in your head and you need to see a psychatrist".  They are actually trained to say that.  They suddenly clam up, get stand offish and usher you out the front door.

I started having health issues in 2007 and after years of searching I finally got it narrowed down to thyroid issues.  I had to take control of my destiny, not simply leave it up to the healthcare system.  You have to be your own advocate.  Doctors simply don't have the time.  I started gaining weight (do to an undiagnosed under active thyroid) and when the doctors saw me pile on the weight, I was an especially "throw away" patient because doctors generally hate fat patients.  Even with diabetes and weight loss doctors! 

As someone who's been there for years and now studying medicine, might I suggest your thyroid might be overactive.  Losing weight for basically no reason so fast could be a sign of an overactive thryoid or a pituitary problem.  The pituitary gland and your thyroid work in conjunction together like a hormone facilitating machine.  I tried different endocinrologists as one after the other couldn't find anything wrong with me.  Finally I found a doctor who ran tests and found my thyroid is underactive and works diligently with me.

I lost everything when I started feeling sick. My job. My friends. My sanity.  Being told it's "all in your head" is just so undescribable.  You feel so alone, like no one is listening.  It's so easy for healthcare staff to be dismissive when they are the epitome of perfect health.  Secretly I wished I could give them my health issues so they could know what it feels like.

You will have to keep trying new doctors.  Call around and see if you can find ones open to problem solving.  You might have to drive to other cities to find one that is willing to help.  If they give you the look of impending doom, right before they say that classic showstopping line, just take a deep breath.  Take it all in and tell yourself, it's not you, it's THEM.  Thank them for your time and politely excuse yourself and put it all behind you.  Some doctors aren't trained on all the lastest testing or they aren't sophisticated enough to find hidden problems so it's inevitable they don't understand your health issues. 

Hope I didn't talk too much!  Just wanted to tell you my journey!  Good luck cheesygrin

• Posted

Good advice, but so disheartening! I, too, have been sick since January, lost a ton of weight, and no answers yet from several doctors! So very scary!
  • Posted

Hi have you any update. my partner has lost a stone and half in 1 month waiting for test after test.... 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.