Is it ok to have surgery when you have POTS?

Posted , 3 users are following.

hi everybody,

Two weeks ago in a regular check I was found to have a HR of 120bpm.

My GP measured my HR and BP but found it normal. An ECG also showed no anomaly. I was very surprised until I realized that I only have a higher than normal HR when standing. I am going to come back to my GP to have a 24hr measure of HR. However, it seems like I may have POTS.

I also have coccygodinia, and was planning to have surgery in a few weeks. I will check with the surgeon and will wait to have a diagnosis but wanted to know about your experience.

Has anybody had surgery while suffering from POTS? Is it possible?

Thank you

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You could try mentioning to your anaesthatist who you should meet before surgery.  So few people including doctors who should know by now but depending on where you live - don't know!  Unless you're in London - I'm not sure any doctor knows!  I've been trying to get a diagnosis in my part of Scotland and expect it to be a long uphill struggle which is very frustrating.  I've had surgery under general anestethic only a few times in recent years but on every occassion I've woke up to them saying things like "we'd thought we'd lost for a bit there"  and thinking I've had a heart attack and keeping me in for an extra night!  

I'm not trying to scare you after all, I've made it so far and I'm sixty but do insist the write down in the notes that you have POTS so that if they do have trouble bring you round the silly buggers will have the sense to know not to  keeping you flat! That's all it needs - you need to worry about.  If your surgery is important to you then you need to have it.   Look up the websiteof the POTS  UK charity it comes up top of any search.  They have a great amount of useful information.  

Christine

• Posted

thanks! I found the website and it certainly has a lot of useful information. 
  • Posted

Hello!

I had surgery back in October. I have gone my entire life with an abnormally fast heartbeat and I have shown all the symptoms of POTS each time I have the flu or any other illness, though I wasn't aware of the existence of POTS syndrome, and it wasn't mentioned when I had visited my GP in the past regarding chest pains and rapid heartbeat. Anyway, this caused no problems during the surgery however It did cause me to faint later on that same day, twice on the following day and more times between now and the surgery. Before surgery my POTS symptoms would come exclusively when I was ill however now I have been struggling with them constantly since the surgery, and it feels worse than it ever had in the past. Luckily for you, POTS effects is when we're upright (sitting or standing) and you'll be flat on a table so it shouldn't effect you during the surgery, but it is likely that you will find that your symptoms are worse following a trauma like surgery, so take it easy and you'll be fine! Best of luck with the surgery smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.