Gastritis / Stomach Ulcer

Posted , 17 users are following.

Hi,

i have been having pain in my lower left ribs for around 3 weeks, sometimes the pain spread to the epigastric area but most of the time it would be on the side. Yesterday I got some real bad pain just under the breastbone to the left in the stomach area (Epigastric area), the pain was a 7 out of 10 and made me feel really uncomfortable, later that night after food the pain came on again, again it was a 7 out of 10. The doctor said it was gastritis or a stomach ulcer but I'm still a little worried about pancreatitis although it's been 3 weeks and I've had 2 blood tests. Does these symptoms sound normal for Gastritis or an ulcer? I'd really like to speak to someone going through the same. I'm a little scared to eat now because of the pain, I think I'm going to try some toast to start off with.

1 like, 78 replies

78 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Jameses

First of all I think you should look at what you are eating..Make a diary of what you eat and drink and see what foods or drink cause the pain. This way you can analyse whether it is all foods or drinks that is causing the pain or is it certain food or drink..then you can decide to omit taking the foods/drink that is causing the pain.

If its all foods and drink then you should go to doc take the food diary with you say you have done a food diary tell of your findings and request an endoscopy or ultrasound scan...best wishes....

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. It's quite scary when you get the pain especially when you have never had pain like this before. Thanks for your advice I will follow that through 
  • Posted

Hi Jameses. I have been diagnosed with Gatritsis, oesophagitus and duodenitis. Your symptoms are typical of inflammation caused by these conditions. It's said that the length of time that passes after eating before you get the pain is a good indication of where the area of inflamation is. I would have thought that 1.5- 2 hrs after eating would be the duodenum (the part connecting stomach to small bowels.

Try avoiding sharp scratchy foods. Reduce the caffeine and fatty foods. Spicy foods too. Avoid milk if you get indigestion or reflux. It may help in short term but becomes acidic when it sours.

• Posted

Thanks Miggy, glad to know it's not me going crazy. I've changed my diet now to try and resolve this. I've cut out alcohol, chocolate and eating a low fat diet as suggested by the doctor. Are there any specfic foods you would avoid or anything else you increase?
    • Posted

Your doctor will probably suggest Lansoprazole or something similar. Try and always have gaviscon in stock. I was also convinced I had something bad going on and also worried about pancreatic cancer. Though with that you generally find really pale colored stools and a lot of oil in the toilet. Do you get much reflux?

My problems started with your exact same symptoms only last year. Now I get a lot of reflux. Every time I tried to burp I would get reflux too. Eventually I started bringing up streaks of blood when I brought up a little acid. That can be really worrying but goes hand in hand with the inflamation. Try not to stress over it as anxiety makes it worse. You may start getting sensations like the feeling of a lump in the throat too, but with proper management things should settle. Just pay attention to things that seem to make it worse. Pastry for me is an absolute no no. Hope you feel better soon!

• Posted

Thanks Miggy,

im on omeprezole at the moment, I was diagnosed with reflux before this started so I suppose my diet & alcohol was causing the reflux and now the gastritis/ulcer. I hoping that by changing my diet my pain will start to subside

• Posted

Well do you have more gas and belching than usual. Also if your doctor is assuming it's gastritis or an ulcer I would hope he is following up with some test to see if that is what it is or to rule other things out right, if not I wld go find another Dr. If the blood tests are to find out if it's H pylori that is not the only way you can format also you probably need an upper GI you can also get on some medication called carafate which will heal ulcers I'm on it right now it will also help heal gastritis
    • Posted

Both blood tests came back fine, I asked them about any pancreatic problems they said the tests have come back fine regarding that. I wouldn't say I belch and have more gas than normal, pain is my main symptom. I have changed my diet and abstained from alcohol so I'll see if that resolves the problem if not I'll speak to another doctor. Thanks for your reply
    • Posted

But you need to know if you have an ulcer or not not just an assumption so what I'm saying is for your doctor to say you probably have an ulcer is kind of ignorant he needs to go further or at least give you a medication to help it as a trial
  • Posted

Hi, it could be Gastritis which has inflamed damged your tum/esohagus, its 90% not pancreatitis.  The pain you get just under your breastbone is normally acid/damage to your Esophagus (Gastriitis) or wind trying pushing food against your lower esophageal sphincter, well thats what mine was.  It was/is  caused by my Hiatus hernia.  I was on omeprezole​ for ages but this gave me as many problems as it cured.  Now on Pantoprzole, this works for me and no (well can't feel) any side effects. Had just the same as you, so much pain did'nt want to eat.  Since new meds much much better. Try Gaviston, as long as you use it 2 hours before or after your Omeprezole its ok, if this helps you yu know its down to acid.  Good luck, and dont under rate Gaviston, I still use it everynight for reflux.  And if I get pain in my breatbone it's gone in 60 seconds.
    • Posted

Thanks Dave for your reply, I'll get some gaviscon later today, I have been using the tablets but I have run out. Yesterday I was in so much pain again after eating it's like my stomach twisted around itself so now I'm just eating brown toast as that seems to be ok. How long until you can eat normal again with no pain? 
  • Posted

Hi James.now the thing is this and I'm sure its already been mentioned but the less you eat the worst the pain is when you do eat. Mine was just the same as yours, felt like cramps, bad cramps which even kept me up some nights. how much was down to the injury and how much was down to long term use of Om and how much was down to my normal tummy upset I cant say.  I use rice pudding when I dont feel like eating and it works for me, we are all individual​ and what works for one might not suit another so try alsorts!!!  Over the years I've had it put down to IBS which I'm sure I dont have, reflux, yep, I have that and high production of acid, yep that too.  When they had a look inside yet again in October they found the HH this time over 4cm and only stage one (I cant remember whats its called) when your Esophagus​ gets damaged by acid and slight stomach wall damage again due to AA.  They said what they'ed found could be giving me the pain and symptoms (like yours).  I then had Ultra sound (again) and a full CT scan of all organs all normal!!!!!  So, things have calmed down abit and I can eat pritty much normal and just take my 20mg Pantoprazole once per day (I could do with upping it to 40mg but I'm resisting this as I hate long term meds.  I using a full bottle of Gav 600ml/week too, I get it from Adsa or Tescos about £7 a bottle so around £28/month but it helps so much.  So this is a long reply but information is power.  Oh, have you lots of wind also???? If so, is it both ends or just one, sorry but needs to be asked.
    • Posted

Hi Dave, I didn't know the less you eat the more it hurts when you do I will

have to make sure I'm eating little and often, my pain is worse for my evening meal this could be because I haven't eaten a lot all day. I don't have a lot of wind in either direction it's quite normal, it's the pain on the left hand side which is my main symptom and the pains after eating are very worrying, I just want to get back to normal. I have a doctors appointment on Wednesday I'm gonna ask him to refer me for a Ultrasound and/or a CT Scan to check everything is ok.

• Posted

I would tell him you've lost one stone, he'll have to put you on the 2 weeks list!!!  I'm not saying they will find anything, but knowing theres nothing major even though you still have the problem is still far better.  If you read the blogs on here you'll be alamed at the number of people who have tummy probs and NO clear Medical diagnosis​ James. You may have an ulcer like already said but whatever you need it sorting.  An Endoscopy​ is a foolproff test, I hate them but at least they can see whats there or not there.  I should think thats what the doc will do next.  Ultrasound maybe also.  Thats one thing about my Doc, ask and you get, cant fault him.  Within 4 weeks I'd had all 3 yet again but they really cant find it?  And I've had at least 4 blood tests, aslo all ok, so dont panic. I'm also not saying not eating has increased your pain when you do eat something but might not be helping, just try and see.  Like most people say dont have milk, but it helps me, we'er all different lol.  You may find just given time and PPIs you'll slow, slow recovery.  Let us know what the doc says and take no crap, make sure you've something booked when you come away.
    • Posted

I'll let you know tomorrow how I get on, the pain is bringing on anxiety like mad, I keep thinking I have pancreatic cancer or something like that, I know it's just me catastrophising but I can't help my head thinking these bad thoughts. I just want things to go back to how they were before. I have seen quite a few doctors so far so I rest assured it's nothing really bad as one of them would have picked up on something and the tests I've had. Let's get the scan booked in so we can get to the bottom of it and continue with the low fat diet then hopefully I'll be well again one day.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.