Tongue and mouth tingling

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am currently on 5 mg of prednisone down from a high of 20 in September and have developed a strange sensation in my mouth in particular tongue and lips. It is similar to a burnt tongue. I am assuming a side effect of the prednisone. Anyone else experience this? If so did it pass or was treatment of some sort required. I am on day 2 of this symptom.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi ellen I am too on Pred I do not have this symptom of yours though.

As I know some patients do have it I am sure you will get here the answer you need .

Hope it will be easy to fix changing the amount of Pred you are taking.

Never loose your hope!

Wish you all the very best in the New Year!

xxxx

• Posted

I did have this phenomenon and I asked my dentist about it. He thought it might be a side effect of the PMR. He didn'r mention anything about the pred. He recommended I use a mouth rinse for dry mouth. Another side effect of PMR I am told is secondary Sjogrens. I have had dry mouth and dry eyes for some time.
  • Posted

Hi I have been on preds since the beening of Nov started at 60 now down to 20. I have had that experence since the begining. Do only thing now is that my palate is push outwards against my teeth. My dentist assurrse me that it ins't

• Posted

Oh my Ellen,  yes I have had this for months now, I even lost my taste for quite a while. Now most of taste is back though occassionally things will tatse bad.

I didn't know I had dry mouth until dentist told me. I must brush 2-3 times a day and try to last for 3 minutes. I use dry mouth toothpaste.

sometimes I get that tingling.  I have raw tongue often. 

Doctors  said it was from mild or silent acid reflux caused by prednisone. I had endoscopy and had ENT scope my throat to determine. 

It really sucks.  I'm struggling with it.

I've been tested for Sjogrens, even did biopsy, I assumed my tingling lips were from biopsy, but if you have that too then maybe not.

I stay away from acid foods.  I sometimes try red wine, but regret it later as tongue gets pretty raw.  Losing my taste was the hardest.  I tried lemon and apple cider vinegar, but that made raw tongue and throat more irritated. 

I had thrush for a few weeks, swollen, red gums too.  

Im on Pred 6 mg now. 

• Posted

yes Ellen, i have had this at 7.5mg as i have to be weaned off pred as they are not sure if i have pmr or not, but it went away on its own after 3 weeks, so good luck.
    • Posted

Oh, Margaret so glad I am after reading your post bringing back so good news!!!

You are really blessed for your positive outcome!

xxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.