osteomyelitis to my daughter 3.8 years

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi , my daughter is suffering from acute osteomyelitis. She was admitted in hospital in high grade fever and diagnosed with osteomyelitis over right clavicle. Now after 6 months , abscess is draining out from infected area . Doctor saying to perform surgery to clean bone and remove dead tissues if any. But doctors are not sure that it will be cured 100% and saying about chance of reoccurrence

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi there,

Once you have it I honestly don't think it goes 100%.

It lays dormant in the body and if there are either a massive trauma to the body physically or mentally it can re ignite it. So you just have to live with it. I'm 49 and got it at 5 going on for 6 years old.

Am sorry to be saying this but you need to be aware of it.

Regards Elizabeth

• Posted

Had osteomyelitis at 6 months, but it went undiagnosed so late I lost my hip. When I finally got treatment and hip was fused now 54, it never came back.

The good thing in this worrying time for you, is that you got an early diagnosis for your daughter and children are resilient. I am sure that she is in good hands and you are clearly a good and vigilant mum. If it did reoccur and that is not likely, provided the osteomilitis has been totally cleared you know the early signs and as long as it is caught and treated early, things need not get as bad. Wishing you and your little girl lots of strength and love and you hope and cheer and congratulateyourself for being such a good and vigilant mum.

• Posted

Hi dear. Firstly want to tell you I am father. Both her mum and me worried for her and for her coming surgery. But thanks of giving such hopeful comments. Thanks dear
  • Posted

Happy to help. Whether you are a mum or dad you're a good,caring parent in my books. No.1 by spotting when and how Ill your little girl was and getting help, you may have had to persevere with getting diagnosis because many doctors miss early warning signs, which as you know is crucial. The fact you've gone on this forum shows your level of concern. It really sounds hopeful your daughter will not have sustained too much damage and when she recovers, a good holiday in the sun will benefit her.

My parents were advised that sunshine is VERY helpful, for bone/osteomyelitis, obviously she will need sunscreen, but the vitamin A and D will help.Certainly when she is released from hospital after all the stress and worry you will all benefit from a dam good holiday and perhaps that is something you can all plan and have something to focus on. All my best wishes x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.