Acquired Von Willenbrand

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi

My name is Melissa, I'm 33. I have had 5 surgeries this year from a medical mistake in 2012 that caused both my hips to repeatedly partially dislocate and impinged my sciatic nerve. I've never had a bleeding issue but the last surgery, which was supposed to be fairly straight forward, resulted in a spontaneous bleed the night of surgery. I was luckily in ITU so they picked it up quickly during the am blood gas. 

I lost about 1.5lts, my hip was the size of a football and I was in 10/10 pain for weeks. They could not evacuate the haematoma as I had already clotted. My fibrinogen was very low, my platelets went very low too, then went very high so they think I have acquired Von Willenbrand disorder. My clotting is normal now, but I'm just wondering if ppl know about it. I've had bleeding gums for about a year too which has stopped since they treated the bled with cryo and vitamin K plus a unit of blood. I can't have children naturally now because of my hips so will need c-sections. Does this just mean I'm at higher risk of bleeding only if I have surgery? Or now that's it normal, it shouldn't be an issue? I'm just wondering if it is definately Von Willenbrand... They treated the bleed and clotting issue so I'm assuming I'm not currently at risk of bleeding? How can you just get a clotting disorder? I've been on a huge amount of medication and had a lot of trauma to my body, would that do it?

Thanks 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Having a caesarian section with acquired von willebrands does not put you at great risk of having a bleed as the female hormones kick into gear and protect yourself from such bleeds. I've had a c-section and have von willebrands. Had no problems myself. Just make sure you eat foods high in K2 especially, liquid chorophyll, super greens; and for a non-haemoglobin Iron supplement use Ferrous Bisgylcinate. Ask the Pharmacist. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.