Should my father go to a doctor?

Posted , 3 users are following.

My Dad is 71 and has been exhibiting a gradual decline of mental functions for many years. He now has difficulty following multi-step directions, is starting to get disoriented in the small town in which he lives, and repeatedly asks for the same information over and over. However, along with this decline he has not been upset and often laughs off these difficulties. He has never been to a neurologist and does not particularly want to know if anything is wrong with him. My question is whether we should insist upon seeing a doctor at this point. Treatment wise, I very much doubt there is much that can be gained and the knowledge of a diagnosis might significantly depress him. My mother is in some denial and also fears the social stigma of a diagnosis. Has anyone dealt with a similar situation and what would you recommend? At this point it does not seem like a doctor is necessary but I am pretty sure at some point that would help. How sensitive can neurologists be to helping patients who don’t necessarily want to know? Is his mood likely to change and become more difficult? Thank you for sharing any insights.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Check his b12 and co enyme q10 levels asap.  They have medications to slow down the progression of the declinement so a doctor can be very useful here.
  • Posted

There's a lot of goods medicines for early stages   I agree with lisalisa on co q10   Especially if he is on any statins as they inhibit the production of quininone (Co q10) and squaleen and they also cause memory loss. My dad was taken off these after been diagnosed with Alzheimer's for this reason. I look after both parents that were diagnosed, mum has had it 15 years and we still have good conversations.  She has been on mementamine since diagnosis.
  • Posted

Hi Liz, In my opinion your dad should see his GP who should refer him for an assesment. I am speeking from personal experience, as I have been recently diagnosed. It was initially a little disturbing to receive an official diagnosis but after going on meds it is under some control.

My brief story... I'm 65 and my short term memory had been deteriorating, I kept forgetting things. My long term memory is Brilliant, always has been. But my wife happened to mention it when I went to the Meory clinic. I had some blood tests done  by them. because my wife had some concerns. The result came back Positive for Altzhiemers. It has taken some time to accept my limitations. I don't drive outside our locality now which is difficult to accept but I'm coping ok with it and I'm sure your dad will be ok, with support. Please give him my best wishes. You might want to share my post ...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.