cipro side effects

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi . hope someone can give me some advice. I was diagnosed with acute prostitis just before Christmas and was given a 2 week course of cipro 500mg, after the first week i felt like I was dragging my feet across the floor and just put it down to no exercise, after the 2nd week my feet feels like they are trapped in a vice and have muscle spasms in my thigh and one foot red colour . went to see my consultant on Monday for the 5 week check up and told him of my symptoms he said he has given thousands out of cipro and only 1 side effect has come back a pain in the elbow. Went to see my gp on Monday told him of my symptoms straight away he said side effects of cipro. What the hell have they give me.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Mark it looks like cipro badly damages one in 5000 ? no-one knows. I took cipro 4 yrs ago and immediately became housebound, still am. If you want to ask me my experience or opinion just ask. Does the dr not know anything about it.

• Posted

Hi John sorry to hear about that are your symptoms the similar to mine what I mentioned in my comment

Thanks

Mark

• Posted

Same as you plus more in first 4 weeks, but it kept coming over the next       12 months, inc heart eyes ears, a long list. You may be lucky. i have sent you a private message with a group name which gives info on cipro
  • Posted

They have given you poison.  It is medicine for some.... poison for others.  Cipro has wrecked my life.  I am in year four of this hell.  Take tons of magnesium and antioxidants and don't exercise.  Eat lots of vegetables and take coenzyme q10.  Good luck.
    • Posted

Hey Mark,

I don't understand the question.  I think what you are asking is does anybody recover from this?  And your GP says it should take about 5-10 weeks to recover.  Unfortunately most GP's are clueless about fluoroquinone toxicity.  The fact that you have one that recognizes it is pretty amazing.  Most deny that FQ could ever do any harm to the human body and this is largely based on their own experience of writing a lot of prescriptions and patient's not coming back to them complaining of adverse reactions.  (Which doesn't mean that floxing doesn't exist especially given the fact that some patients may not get adverse reactions until months or even over a year after taking the med!!!)  The fact of the matter is that fluoroquinolone toxicity doesn't fit any mold.  It is bizarre in nature and one person's floxing could last 5-10 weeks and another person's could last a lifetime.  Typical of chemotherapy.... which fluoroquinolones are.... but the general public doesn't know that unless they are one of the unfortunate.. a "floxie".  If you want information from people that know floxing by first hand experience then join the fluoroquinolone toxicity group on facebook.  Ask as many questions as you like and you will get answers from people that know a lot more about it than your GP.  I would say that most people do recover from floxing but there are definitely people that don't ever recover and other people that suffer for years and years and finally recover somewhat.  It is that variable.  Also check out the floxie hope website.  There are some good references that you can click on that website that will give you advice on what to do after you find out that you have been floxed.  Good luck and God bless.    

• Posted

Hi Michael, are you in the UK?  You've given good advice here to Mark.  I just wondered which FB group you're referring to.  I'm UK ambassador for Quinolone Vigilance Foundation and also started a FB group called Quinolone Toxicity Support Uk - but only for UK people as there's loads of sites in the US!  Hence my question above, and an invite to join us - if you can!
  • Posted

Hi Mark,  I'm sorry to hear you've been given Cipro - and that your consultant said about giving out thousands of prescriptions with only one complaint.  The battle of trying to approach our medical professionals to talk about it and to accept there can be a problem is one long uphill struggle.  My husband was floxed 2 years ago after a UTI, and that was the first I'd heard about the Adverse Reactions.  We didn't read the leaflet until after he got terrific pain everywhere.  John and Michael have both given you good advice, and there is more on the web.  The moderator has pinned a post here called Fluoroquinolone Toxicity Syndrome which gives useful email addresses including to floxie hope that Michael said about.  I've also started a Facebook group called Quinolone Toxicity Support Uk, just go to Fb and search for that name.  It's a closed group but just ask and someone will let you in. There's also lots of information in other quinolone discussions on here.  Good luck, don't despair, you will feel better eventually.  The others talk about their symptoms and emotions in our Fb group - it might help you to talk to people in the same boat.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.