Can't get off 100mg!!!

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hello.

I have been trying to come my final 100 MG gabapentin for months now . Every time I try I get severe insomnia and mood swings ( among many symptoms). For four months I have been halfing the dose with a mix of orange juice. I still cannot jump even this little amount without the insomnia and mood swings coming back. I am otherwise a very stable, relaxed person. I am a professional mental health provider that works in crisis situations. I was on 1200 MG of gabapentin for two years before I can begin slowly tapering over the course of one year.

Some background: while in grad school I had two traumatic events happen to my family. This caused me great anxiety and I decided to take medications . Gabapentin was the first among many. I wound up on five different medications for anxiety and depression associated with PTSD. I have recovered and no longer need meds. ( They ultimately caused more harm than good).

1 like, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Emma,the lower doses of any drug withdrawal always give the worst withdrawal symptoms At this stage you need to go so so slowly and take much longer periods between reducing.If you get a bad withdrawal symptoms go back to the before dosage and hold for longer until your body is used to the less amount .Sometimes cough medicines can be taken during this time to help with the insomnia if it is too bad or herbal remedies .All the best of luck! You can do this!!!
  • Posted

Sorry you're suffering. In my own experience, every change of dosage going up or coming down requires 21 days for your body to acclimatize. Weird side effects can occur along the way, most disappearing by day 14. You have to stick it out and let it run its course. Its not always fun. I'm presently at 1800 mg/day. Main side effect is sleeping all day. I'm about to get into pain management to get help dropping my current dosage. Either with alternative medicine or with the help of Cesamet, a synthetic cannabinoid. Like medical marijuana, but without THC. Good luck.
  • Posted

Hi Emma,

Only you can decide what course of action to take medically and if you also work in mental health and have had trauma in your own past, I am sure that causes a lot of stress and anxiety. I had never taken any anxiety or pain meds before my MVA in May 2015. I was started on gabapentin, among others while in the trauma hospital and had no idea what I was on. The doctors continued and increased me from 100 mg 3 times a day to 600 three times a day and it was awful. The side effects were terrible and it never worked on my pain anyway. I gained over 50 pounds, my body had involuntary movements, I stuttered, I shook, my memory was gone, I would lose the ability to find words when I spoke. I could go on and on. I knew I couldn't live like this. When I finally found a discussion from actual patients who were or had taken gabapentin and could say what they had been through, I made the decision to get off of it. My Neurologist suggested a plan for a very slow weaning but I took matters into my own hands because I didn't want to take any more time out of my life in which I could not function and be me. I went from 1800 daily to nothing over the course of 3 weeks. It was awful but I think it is worth it. I still have pain every day due to my 3 bulging and 2 herniated cervical discs, peripheral nueropathy, and cervical radiculopathy but at least I am drug free and I feel better about that. I get some pain relief through physical therapy and a traction unit. It is made by Saunders. They started me on it in PT and my Insurance would not approve one for me to use at home so I bought one used off of EBay where I found them in plenty and I only paid $127, with shipping it was still under $150. New units can be $800 to $1000. Everyone responds to things differently but if you want off the gabapentin, maybe something like this could work for you too. The longer you are on it, the harder it is to get off. Hope this helps you or someone else. Katrina

• Posted

Hi Emma, I understand that the lower the dose, the more bioavailable the medication is to your body. That means your body is trying to use the entire amount and is used to functioning with it. At higher doses, your body is using much less of the medication so it can be easier to come down from very high doses until you get below 1200. Then you need to start slowing down your taper. I'm currently taping off 100 MG. I requested the liquid form for easier measuring the taper amount. I am currently tapering down by 10 MG every 3 weeks. So I went to 90 MG for 3 weeks, then 80 MG for 3 weeks and so on. I'm currently at 40 MG and now it's getting harder, so I may have to taper every 4 weeks now or taper at 5 MG? I will see how my body handles it. I still have withdrawals, but nothing like when I tried 100 MG all at once. I couldn't do it because the withdrawals were so severe. You may need to taper 10 MG every 4 weeks or even taper by 5 MG. The closer you get to the end, the slower you need to go. Cutting it in half at this point is too much and too fast for your body. Make sure you are also getting rest, drinking plenty of water, eating healthy and exercising while you are tapering. Hope this helps!
    • Posted

Thanks. I bought a milligram scale. Last year I ask my doc for the liquid. Insurance doesn't like to cover it. It costs more to make. You are much more patient than I am. My decision was to taper by 5mg every 2 weeks. I'm at 40 mg. I've been weaning off meds since Nov 2014. But I will definitely keep in mind that maybe I should suck it up and go a little slower. What's a few extra months?

Tip. At higher doses I followed a recommendation from a forum from a doctor. It was to taper down, then increase to a higher dose every few days.

• Posted

I agree with Shammah Emma ..it took me ages to get from 50 mg of pregabalin to 25 mg.I used the liquid form and went so slowly..it took me three months to do that,just 25 mg ,but the withdrawal symptoms were slight.Now to tackle the last 25 mg and I know being the last bit my body will want to hang onto it.Again I am going to go slowly.I have known people take a year to withdraw from medication doing it slowly to avoid ghastly side effects.
    • Posted

Thank you Samadhi and shammah for the reality check. I need to make sure I go at the right pace. Mostly I'm experiencing extreme tiredness from the decreases. (But I also get the tiredness from still being on it). On the bright side at times I have way more energy, mental clarity and emotion. It's what makes me want to rush. I want to get to that bright place quicker and stop being tired and withdrawn. However experience has shown that rushing can lead to crashing.
    • Posted

You're very welcome! I found my choice was get off fast and have a horrible withdrawal and not be able to function... or taper off slow, wait much longer but have a fuctional, less stressful experience. I'm with you that I would love to rush and get off it quick. Both remaining on the drug and tapering off makes me very tired and fatigued. The good news is this is only temporary and soon I will be free of it. I wish you the best! :-)
  • Posted

I used a milligram scale to taper. It definitely helped. Five months to get to 11milligrams before my final jump which went well! All attempts in between resulted in insomnia . For sleep I'm using emergency-c z.

• Posted

Emma.  I completely understand this.  I was on 900 mg daily for a year for nerve pain and wanted to come off because it made me foggy and gain weight.  I went down fro 900 to 200 over several months.  But I could not budge below 200 without the most horrendous and horrifiying side effects of severe depression, anxiety, panic, anger, suicidal thoughts which I have never ever had.

I found a doctor who prescribed me phenobarbital to take to come off the gabapentin.  It took four days and it was complete hell.  But I think it would have been worse without it.  I have been off for 2 weeks now, and I am better, but still pretty awful...anxiety, waves of sadness, tears, depression come out of the blue, unpredictable.  Anger, irritability.  I am trying to supplement with good oils (omegas, coconut), amino acids, b vitamins.  I think it just takes time.  I hate this drug.

Definitely do this under the care of a doc or trusted friend, it is very very scary stuff.  Very dangerous.  Be careful.  Good luck.

• Posted

I haven't read anything on this blog for ages but looked in this morning as I am also trying to come off Gabapentin.

?I started taking it 3 1/2 years ago following a bad hip replacement operation which I wish I had never had as the pain post op is (and has been) much worse now than before I had the op. Since January I have slowly lowered the dose till last week I went to my doctor to ask for 100mg tabs as I had managed to cut it down to 1 x 300mg morning and 1 x300mg evening. I have now lowered it to 2 x 100mg morning and 1 x 300 evening. So far no adverse effects.

?I don't know how long before I will try to lower this again but think it's best to go slowly as when I tried last year to cut down quickly I found it was BAD.

?Due to the severity of my pain I was prescribed Gabapentin 3 x 300mg four times a day. It made me very sleepy but didn't stop my pain and caused me huge weight gain.

?I'd love to hear from anyone else in this situation

• Posted

this drug is a horrible drug....If I only knew.....but I didn't research it......just want to get off of it now ....not doing anything for me   100mg one time a day...cant believe having so much trouble getting off of it

• Posted

depakoe was another horrible drug...much like gabapetin.......
  • Posted

about 3 months ago maybe a little longer I tried taking 100 mg of gabaprntin every other day ...after the 4 th day it was so bad but I hung in there for 6 days....at that point I could't function  had to go back to every day once a day 100 mg....July I was on it a year....June 8 I took my last depakoe.......I dont have another drs appt till Oct....but I am going to try and go in earlier to see what we can do to get me off of this med....right now I am getting alot of headaches...they think its sinsus inflammation    been having trouble for a month....going to call dr..may need antibiotic.......I never get headaches...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.