Severe neck pain when I try to turn my head?

Posted , 30 users are following.

Sometime last night I woke up, and when I tried to lift my head, I felt a pop in my neck. It only hurt a little bit, like when you sleep with your head in an awkward position. I went back to sleep, but when I woke up this morning it still felt like i'd slept on it wrong. After struggling with sharp burning pain in the whole right side of my neck I finally managed to sit up. I can't stand up without getting that same pain. I can't turn my head to the left or right or look up or down at all without this intense pain. If I lift my right arm I get the same pain, but so far I seem to be able to move my left without any problems. I have woke up to a sore neck after sleeping on it funny many times, and this is a thousand times worse than that. I do remember feeling a pop, so I don't know if I jerked it somehow, or what. As long as I hold my head perfectly still it just feels like I slept on it wrong, but any movement is unbearable. The pain seems to originate right at the back bottom right side of my neck, and extends all the way to the base of my skull, and out along my shoulder. I can't lean forward or back without feeling like my neck is going to break. I also feel a little light headed. This is unbearable. I can't move without pain. I need somebody to tell me something.

1 like, 26 replies

26 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'm sorry for your pain. It sounds as though you have pulled something out of place. Hopefully it will subside put some ice on your neck for 20mins followed by heat that should help a little with any swelling. Take some painkillers too such as ibuprofen & maybe some low strength co codamol if these measures fail you need to see your gp & ask for am mri scan of your neck as it could be a slipped or protruded disk. I know what neck pain is like I suffer multiple disk herniations & nerve compression in my neck it can be agony. Hope it gets better soon if not see gp for scan & painkillers you may benefit from physio. Kind regards Katie xx
    • Posted

Thanks. I tried to massage it with my hand, but that only set off an explosion of pain, and seems to have made it worse. There seems to be some swelling on the right srde, so I'm trying ice right now.
    • Posted

Did you ever find out what it was? I woke up with the exact same pain and situation

Any advice?

• Posted

I'm having same problem but I can't get up to get ice and there is no one in my household awake
    • Posted

I feel for you. I had to get someone to get it for me. It helped a little bit, but not a lot. I'd go to the doctor, but there's almost a foot of snow outside. Until it clears up I'm not going nowhere.
  • Posted

Where do you live? I'm in the UK. Bless you ! Have you any painkillers in the house? Maybe put some deep heat on it too until you get to see a gp. Let me know how you get on hun ☺
  • Posted

Hi Cola

Its possible you have either slept awkwardly or you have pulled a muscle. It can take a bit of time for this to right itself.

Try putting a hot-water bottle wrapped in a tea towel on the effective area. Use either Paracetamol of Ibropufen for the pain. If it continues, it might be a good idea to seek medical advice.

Hope you get better soon, best of luck.

Kev  (UK)  lol

• Posted

yes cola211 i have the same thing happening exept i can turn my my neck to the left side but i fell and my left arm snapped but it didn't brake and my shoulder and my neck have this shooting pain and i can't move my neck up down or right i don't know what it is but im going to the hospital and i will message you what it is

• Posted

Have you found out what is going on with you? I'm in pain for over a month its hard for me to even continue my normal life

• Posted

I will share my similar experience with neck pain... With me it was related to the pillow. The only thing that worked for me and stopped my neck and back pain was https://t.co/KTLRGPbbWl That pillow uses uses hot or warm water to provide instant relief from pain... So I hope I could help  [smile] 
  • Posted

I'm having the same problems, when I woke up, I immediately felt unbearable pain, I could barely see with the pain, ice is kind of helping, but not too much, any advice?

• Posted

The same thing happend to me this morning! The only time I felt this amense pain was when I broke my leg. Im relieved that I can relate. Tell me if you live after this, lol. 
  • Posted

Does anybody know the medical or technical term for this because I've had this pain a few times in my life as a child & Adult before it hurts each! time! It feels like Hell! Like when your only trying to put on a shirt it's searingly agonising just to get my head through the hole & Its the same trying to get up! I ended up sitting for an hour just trying to put a shirt on without pain being involved! & then having to stand up but no matter how slow & carefully it's still AGONY! can somebody please tell me the name please!

• Posted

Not sure what it is but i once had it when i was 8 and i now have it at 16 but i think it could lead to whiplash as between now and then i have gotton whiplash. At least now i figured how to get out if bed painlessly. Just slowly roll onto the painful side (my whole left was in agony) and use ur hamd to roll onto the floor and steady stand up. It pnly lasted a day when i was younger. Hoping only a day today aswell.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.