large ovarian cysts and hysterectomy

Posted , 16 users are following.

I have very large (23 cm) fluid filled ovarian cyst. I am 65, post menopausal. The doctor is cautiously optimistic that I don't have cancer but has recommended a total hysterectomy (all my lady parts and possibly my appendix), as well as biopsies of everything. Have you had this type of mass (I look quite pregnant), what did you do, and how do you feel now? My surgery is coming up Feb 3 so I really need some information on what happened to you.

3 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Virginias, 

I had a cyst that was 4 cm but grew to 10 in a few weeks and I was recommended to have a total hysterectomy due to there being a dark solid bit on the scan. I had my hysterectomy at the end of June 2014 and everything went well and I had no problems.  I was really scared beforehand but the op went great and the hospital staff were brilliant.  I was in for 4 days  and soon recovered.  I was also post menopausal too at 51 years old.  I don't regret having it done at all and it's great that I don't need any more smear tests ever and no worrying about periods after going 12 months without and then another one starting at 15 months which is what I originally saw my doctor about.  Good luck and let us know how you go on smile

• Posted

Thank you!  for the words of encouragement. It sounds like you did great and you aren't having any side effects. That's wonderful news. I think I have a great surgeon who is very experienced and very personable. I just want to be sure I am making a good decision and you have helped me tremendously telling me your story. I will keep you posted.
  • Edited

Lucky you that you are post menopausal, I was only 51, when I had a  massive bleed, 3 units of blood later, I think I scared the Dr's when i presented at the hospital, all nice and blue round the lips and nose.

D & C the foolowing day diagnosed a endometeosus cancer, early thankgoodness, a weeek later had a hysterectomy at the main base hospital, rather than our little local hospital.

End result the cancer had not advanced outside my uterus which was a blessing, but the traumatic change of life was a nightmare, I had a really bad time with that, and had to be put on huge doses of HRT, weaned myself off HRT over about two years with GP's help. 

Do I regret having surgery done even if i didn't have cancer, best thing thats ever happened to me, my sister also had problems with very heavy bleeding, and dr's dismissed her concerns, until they examined her and felt a mass in her pelvis, just like me, like a 5 months pregnancy, we have both warned our daughters not to take any bull---t from the Dr's and be ahead of any future problems.

The savings alone for sanitary products I noticed in the family budget.

Appendix, you don't want to have future problems with that, rare but it does happen, and a horrible sickness, if the surgeon wants to take it, while he's in there, I would have no objections.

About six weeks later back at work, never had any lady problems since.

• Posted

I am glad it worked out for you. Two for two telling me this will work out in my favor. Of course I am terrified of the surgery and the painful recovery, but I am more concerned about what my life will be like after it's in the rear view mirror. You have helped to reassure me that I will get through this. Thank you.
  • Posted

Virginias - If you were not terrified I would be thinking you might have some kind of mental health problem.

I had a complete meltdown a couple of days before my big surgery.

I knew at that point they were chasing cancer, and I was having all sorts of scans, and x-rays.

It was during my Cat scan I lost it completely, just the combinations of everything that was going on, and the speed it was happening, the hospital staff were wonderful, they took me to a side room, got me a cup of tea, and found the counsellor to talk to me, they were soooo caring. Just what i needed.

I still remember watching the surgeon use a eraser on his surgery bookings book, took me a couple of moments to figure out what he was doing, he was re-arranging the patients, and I said (dumb thing) you can't change peoples surgeries dates, he looked up and glared at me, and said you have cancer they don't, at that point I shut up.

He wasn't a nasty surgeon, in fact he was really nice, but he didn't tolerate silly statements from patients.

Don't be afraid, or should I say don't be too afraid. The staff at the hospitals are wondefully well trained to look after you, and don't also be afraid to ask for painkillers, if and when you need them, and you will need them, but that only lasts a few days.

Its amazing how fast our bodies heal, I never fail to be amazed.by how fast I have healed, even witnessed, very sick patients and the very elderly.

Double hip replacement in the last two years as well, and maybe a repeat of one that has not gone so well, not really looking foward to that, but if it will improve my quality fo life YES with reservations.

• Posted

That's funny. I also lost it during my CT scan. When they handed me the drink, I felt like it was all over, I was officially a "patient" and a statistic. I felt poisoned with each sip and still feel poisoned 2 weeks later. I know I have to let it go. 

My cysts can't stay in my body so they have to go. My doctor wants to take out everything so I won't have additional issues in the future. I have to believe he knows more about this than I do since I know nothing and he does seem compassionate and caring, but also very matter of fact. This forum is fascinating and I thank you for taking the time time to respond to me completely. 

I am very healthy (except for the alien invader) and I have a healthy lifestyle and everyone who knows me tells me I will be just fine. The doctor is super positive and encouraging (though I only met him once). I think it will be my task between now and Feb 3 to build my faith and resolve, to believe I will be fine. My body has been pretty trouble free until now and I'm 65....shocked at that also...biggrin. Thank you so much for helping me through this. I am encouraged and horrified at the same time by what I read here. I'm going to take a bath now...while I can...I'll sleep better. 

• Posted

I'm in a similar situation - 63 years old with 13cm ovarian cyst and talk of having a hysterectomy at the time of removal of the cyst.  How did it go for you?  What was your recovery time?  Anything specific I should know?  Thank you.

• Posted

Hi daisyvw, I had a  27cm cyst removed along with full hysterectomy on 27 November aged 69 and I feel great now! Nearly 5 weeks post op and look and feel so good, the cyst weighed over a stone so you can imagine I look so much better than I did 5 weeks ago! Good luck, be positive and listen to your body!! Oh, and there was no cancer but my surgeon wanted everything that could be a problem removed! So grateful......
  • Posted

A larg fluid cyst on left overy the size of an orange when it was removed

​I was 63. I had total abdominal hysterectomy both tubes and overies samples taken from the lineing covering stomache on March 23 last year. I did worry it was cancer. Even have an out patient appointment for only 3 weeks after operation. My results all came back clear, I sailed through recovery didn't get the tiredness everyone talks about ask me if you need to know anything else

• Posted

Hi, Virginia

​I recognise the feeling of terror before the op, please be reassured, they really are very good at it these days, I have experienced it! 22 cm ovarian cyst discovered last September, removed 9 weeks ago along with other ovary (endometriosis found at op) and hysterectomy due to fibroids. Vertical abdominal incision. Total mass removed was over 2kg. I had no idea beforehand how many symptoms it had been causing, had put it down to ageing and approaching menopause (I'm 47). Have felt significantly better since a couple of days after the surgery, I think I dealt well with the post op pain because I'd got used to pain and abdominal pressure beforehand. Will be returning to work next week if I can just get this menopause under control, sleepless nights due to hot flushes are the only thing I'm struggling with now. Hopefully you won't have to deal with that. I'm glad I had it done, think you might feel better for it after the op.x

• Posted

Thank you so much for positive words. I needed to hear them today. I sent you a private message also. Good luck with your symptoms. I am an avid lap swimmer. It helps me stay healthy and pain-free. It is also a mental tonic. Headed to the pool now in fact. Maybe there is something you love to do, some physical activity, that will lessen you symptoms. And I guess there is HRT. I have no experience, though. Best to you today and always.
    • Posted

Virginias - I cannot believe how much alike we are.

I too swim, when I could no longer walk in the run up to my hip replacement surgery, I could and did go swimming, or a very modified version of swimming, just had to keep moving, purely by instinct I think.

I felt the damned hips were going to kill me before I even got to the operating table, if I didn't find some way to keep active.

The again when the second hip also gave way, same story.

Both times I have got back in the heated pool as soon as the local Dr told me I was healed enough to no longer get infection's in cuts, about 3 weeks.

To this day I still go swimming three times a week, if possible, but with a minimum of twice a week every week.

Have just had my follow up, requested by myself, physio appt, a year after my surgery, mainly to make sure I am doing my physio exercises correctly, and also get some help for spinal arthiritis.

Physio was very impressed with me she said, very good flexibility, very strong stomach muscles, arms and shoulders, she found one muscle in my buttock that is still weak, and wanted me to strengthen my core muscles, which is good for my spine as well. My opinion all of this because of my swimming, as I have been struggling with walking due to pain post THR, now found to be spinal pain.

• Posted

Ultrasound, I think it was a big one so pretty obvious, I never had MRI, the size of it indicated immediate surgery. Your chances of malignancy are pretty low if you're pre menopausal, apparently. Hope the scan goes well,x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.