Estrogel and depression

Posted , 23 users are following.

Good evening Ladies - hope you have all had lovely weekends!

To cut a very long story short have had the most difficult perimenopause and have shared many of the symptoms described by some lovely ladies here.  I have given in (again) and have agreed to a therapeutic dose of bio-identical HRT - Estrogel.  I was really struggling with anxiety, depression, night sweats, hot flushes and insomnia.  I agreed to try the gel after trying every other therapy/herbal remedy in the book with no obvious improvement!  However, after day 2 I am scarily depressed - it is awful - please can someone advise if I should stick with it - i.e am I going to feel worse before I feel better or is this it???? I would be very grateful - just want to find who I was again - don't recognise who I am anymore and it is really hampering my life in all aspects!  I wobn't be able to get a GP's appointment for at least 2-3 weeks so all help appreciated!  Thank you 

0 likes, 50 replies

50 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello kitten. The gel will take much longer to work than say tablets or pessaries because less is absorbed so it's going to take some time before you feel any benefit unfortunately.
    • Posted

Ah thanks Matron good point - do you think I need to put more than one pump on daily??
    • Posted

Were you prescribed just one pump a day? I'm not sure that would help because it will still take a while to be absorbed. You probably would have been better with vaginal pessaries as well to give you a boost.
    • Posted

To be honest there is nothing on the instruction label apart from apply once daily! I have been using one pump per area of skin?  I wonder if it would be worth trying more?  I didn't realise pessaries were avaiable - thank you Matron I will investigate. 
  • Posted

Hi, Hope you feel better soon. Just to say Hav e you had your thyriod and vit D checked to rule out its not anther hormone giving you gip. When I was 38 they put me on hrt and it was my thirod giving me problem. Not saying it is that with you x
    • Posted

That's an excellent point melody. Under active thyroid is very common in ladies of menopausal age.
    • Posted

Ah thank you Melody - really losing the will to live and am normally such an optimist!  Yes, all my bloods seem to be in 'normal range,' - but may be worth mentioning again!  I am not sure I have too much faith in GP's and the menopause/thyroid issues - have not felt confident in any of the doctos I have seen at my local surgery.  There seems to be three options, anti-depressants, sleeping tablets or HRT??!!  I have been taking my own newspaper/journal aritcles in for them to read!  Scary really as it seems to be so dehabilitating for so many women and there seems to be very little knowledge/progress.
  • Posted

So sorry you are feeling this awful. It really is a nightmare for us unlucky ones! Its early days yet.. i would give it a while longer, hormones take a while to settle down, it will get better, just try to keep as positive as you can. Kick out the crappy thoughts and think about something that makes/made you happy (easier said than done I know!) it took me a couple of weeks and then the flushes became less and less. I have been on hrt for 13 years now and intend to stay on it all being well :-) so, give it more time and see how you feel sfter a couple of weeks. If you still feel awful ask your doctor if you can try another type of HRT. Fingers crossed ...
    • Posted

Thank you so much Pat for taking the trouble to reply - yes it is hideous for us unlucky ones!  This is the third time I have tried HRT and each time I have not reacted well - thought I would give bioidentical a go and see - yes fingers crossed!  I think it is the empty sad feeling that I can't bear!!
  • Posted

If you had tests it prob hrt is prob what you need. I went to see a gyni  last feb they put on hrt i was told  it could get worse befor u get  better.   to give it a few weeks to get in your system like Matron said . I  ended on antideprssents to help sleep .
    • Posted

Thanks for that melody - yes it is difficult to exist if sleep is an issue.  Perhaps I just need to expect a rocky few weeks and then hopefully everything will settle down!
  • Posted

I know that feeling well.. been there! you are not alone and can always find support here, so please post when you need to and keep us updated. It helps others too :-)
    • Posted

Thank you so much Pat!  I really appreciate your kindness! And yes can understand how it helps.
  • Posted

2 days is not enough to gauge - give it some time - will be well worth it - stay busy and be kind to yourselfsmile
    • Posted

Thanks Rhino - wise words I do hope you are right and it will be worth it in the end - everything seems such a challenge!  Are you speaking from experience?
    • Posted

Hi Kitten. I just wondered how you were getting on if you're still about?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.