Tumor on Pituitary Glands, anxiety since September?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi!

I've been on this forum for depression and anxiety, and after finally accepting my constant anxiety and going in for a regular physical, it was discovered my hormone levels were off, which led to an MRI. So I just found out that apparently I have a big benign tumor on my pituitary gland, the doctor said he's surprised I see normally. I'm a 19 year old male, have any of you felt anxiety and depression before realizing you had this? Also, how is it removed? Thank you! Any advice would be greatly appreciated smile

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Julian. I had a 3cm benign Pituitary tumour removed in 2013 - I am a lot older than you though, in my 50's.

In my case the tumour was pressing on my optic nerve, so in order to save my sight they operated very quickly. From the time of having my MRI that confirmed the tumour to the operation was only 10 days....but as I said this was because of my eyesight. An operation to remove isn't always what they do depending on your individual circumstances.

The tumour is normally removed via your nose. It sounds nasty but actually it is an easy way into the head, they use an endoscope to go up the nostrils and cut through the sinus bone to access the tumour. I was in hospital less than a week and although it is a very scary time, I can't deny that, I have fully recovered. I have to take Hydrocortisone and Testosterone replacement as my pituitary gland is damaged due to the tumour, but I feel SO MUCH better now.

Before my diagnosis, I was a different person, I was much less positive and less assertive and my outlook on life was not as good. I wouldn't say I was depressed, but more "glass half empty" than "glass half full". This condition affects people in very different ways, and this will also depend what part of the pituitary gland is affected and therefore what hormones are affect.

Best talk it through with your consultant when you next see them.

All the best, Carl

• Posted

Hi Carl

I am very lucky! Mine is over 4cm in height!

It is so nice to read positive feedback from someone post surgery. I can't wait for the 'old me' to return. You are so right, it affects each of us differently. What I have learned is that GPs and medics I have met since diagnosis are fascinated with how I came to establish that I had such a tumour.

Thanks for sharing your experience, best wishes for the future.

One last thing, does The Hydrocortisone have any side effects on you and if yes, did it settle down?

• Posted

The Hydrocortisone initially made me feel a bit "high" for a couple of weeks whilst ny body got used to it and I was on a higher dose initially. After a month I started to feel better, and more used to it
  • Posted

Hi Julian,

Much like Carl, I too seem to be following his path with the exception that surgery is due and Im female.

From what I have learned so far more positive post surgery.

Yes anxiety and feelings of being low in mood or depressed are one of the symptoms. I try not to attribute it to the tumour as I didn't know that I had it until recently. Like Carl the tumour has lifted my optic nerve quite high but thankfully my eyesight is intact.You too are very lucky in that respect!

Good luck, your consultants will take great care of you from here. Do let us know how you get on.

Cherie

• Posted

Thank you both for your comments smile They make me feel a bit better.
    • Posted

You're most welcome. We are here to learn, share experiences and offer support.

😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.