side effects

Posted , 3 users are following.

ive been on lansoprazole for a week now, the last few days ive have head pressure, dizziness, light sensitivity and dont feel im in control of my own body. Anyone else had similiar things, wondering if its the tablets.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Colleen! I don't know how debillitating your symptoms are for you to have been given this drug but I was given it upon leaving the hospital last week after tests and I felt very poorly whilst taking them. I literally only took them for four days but in that time I felt fatigue like never before to the point of having two hours sleep in the afternoon and then sleeping from 6pm till 7pm the next day! I had what I call a 'glimmer' headache the whole time which I think is what gives you a feeling of light sensitivity or slight problem with focus. I had previously been able to get on with my life after one of my episodes but this pill is what brought me to this forum and I stopped taking it. This week I feel so much better. Monday I still felt washed out, weepy and depressed but the rest of the week, better appetite, no fatigue and a much more positive feeling. Also, so many women have suffered partial hair loss whilst taking this drug and it does not grow back!! Be careful is my advice! There is no point putting 'poison' into your body to supposedly cure one thing if it causes a miriad of other problems. Good luck!
  • Posted

Below I've listed the reported side effects of PPIs but mostly they are rare.

The most common "side effects" are actually from induced hypochlorhydria from too high a dose over a long period. (More common in self-medicators buying the drugs Over The Counter - common in US.)

Hypochlorhydria can result in malabsorption of essential minerals and reduction of resistance to bacteria.

POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS OF PROLONGED USAGE OF PPI's

Body as a Whole: abdomen enlarged, allergic reaction, asthenia, back pain, chest pain, chest pain substernal, facial edema, peripheral edema, hot flushes, fatigue, fever, flu-like disorder, generalized edema (water swelling), leg edema, malaise, pain, rigors (shaking);

Cardiovascular: flushing, hypertension, tachycardia;

Endocrine: goiter;

Gastrointestinal: bowel irregularity, constipation aggravated, dyspepsia, dysphagia (difficulty swallowing), dysplasia GI, epigastric pain, eructation (burping), esophageal disorder, frequent stools, gastroenteritis, GI hemorrhage, GI symptoms not otherwise specified, hiccup, melena (tarry stools), mouth disorder, pharynx disorder (sore throat), rectal disorder, serum gastrin increased, tongue disorder, tongue edema, ulcerative stomatitis, vomiting;

Hearing: Otitis media (earache), tinnitus;

Hematologic: anemia, anemia hypochromic, cervical lymphoadenopathy, epistaxis (nose bleed), leukocytosis (raised white blood cell count), leukopenia (reduced white blood cell count), thrombocytopenia (reduced platelet count);

Hepatic: bilirubinemia, hepatic function abnormal, SGOT increased, SGPT increased;

Metabolic/Nutritional: glycosuria (sugar in urine), hyperuricemia (uric acid in blood), hyponatremia (low blood sodium), increased alkaline phosphatase, thirst, vitamin B12 deficiency, weight increase, weight decrease;

Musculoskeletal: arthralgia (painful joints), arthritis aggravated, arthropathy, cramps, fibromyalgia syndrome ,polymyalgia rheumatica (pains and fatigue), hernia;

Nervous System/Psychiatric: anorexia, apathy, appetite increased, confusion, depression aggravated, dizziness, hypertonia, nervousness, hypoesthesia (reduction of sensations), impotence, insomnia, migraine, migraine aggravated, paresthesia (pins & needles), sleep disorder, somnolence, tremor, vertigo, visual field defect;

Reproductive: dysmenorrhea (menstrual pain), menstrual disorder, vaginitis;

Respiratory: asthma aggravated, coughing, dyspnea (uncomfortable breathing), larynx edema, pharyngitis, rhinitis, sinusitis;

Skin and Appendages: acne, angioedema, dermatitis, pruritus (itchiness), pruritus ani, rash, rash erythematous, rash maculo-papular, skin inflammation, sweating increased, urticaria (hives);

Special Senses: otitis media (earache), parosmia (smelling smells that aren't there), taste loss, taste perversion;

Urogenital: abnormal urine, albuminuria, cystitis, dysuria (painful urination), fungal infection, hematuria (blood in urine), micturition frequency, moniliasis (thrush), genital moniliasis, polyuria (excessive volume urination); Visual: conjunctivitis, vision abnormal.

Blood And Lymphatic System Disorders: agranulocytosis (abnormally low white blood cells), pancytopenia (reduction of red and white blood cells);

Eye Disorders: blurred vision;

Gastrointestinal Disorders: pancreatitis; stomatitis (inflammation in the mouth);

Hepatobiliary Disorders: hepatic failure, hepatitis with or without jaundice; Immune System Disorders: anaphylactic reaction/shock; Infections and Infestations:

GI candidiasis (thrush);

Musculoskeletal And Connective Tissue Disorders: muscular weakness, myalgia (muscular pain);

Nervous System Disorders: hepatic encephalopathy, taste disturbance; Psychiatric Disorders: aggression, agitation, depression, hallucination;

Renal and Urinary Disorders: interstitial nephritis;

Reproductive System and Breast Disorders: gynecomastia;

Respiratory, Thoracic and Mediastinal Disorders: bronchospasm (restriction of airway);

Skin and Subcutaneous Tissue Disorders: alopecia, erythema multiforme (red swollen rash), hyperhidrosis (increased perspiration), photosensitivity, Stevens-Johnson syndrome (skin disease), toxic epidermal necrolysis (TEN, some fatal).

• Posted

Although the list of possible side effects I 've posted is long. It is very important to note they are very rare and PPIs are actually amongst the safest drugs around used by millions worldwide for 30 years.

And there's growing evidence of their chemo-protective role helping prevent development of oesophageal cancer.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.