adult asd adhd from birth now it's asd at 28 years old !! fed up and led down the garden path !

Posted , 4 users are following.

My son was diagnosed after years of me continually seeking help at 13 with ADHD and put on Ritalin ( yes the drug of the time in 2000 ) after a year he refused to take it for all the right reasons so we struggled through..everyone knows the symptoms of ADHD by now . But damn this was tough going and he had a younger sister 7 years junior with out ADHD ..Now the fun begins. .he went went to one of the best Grammar Schools in England and got 10 GCSEs A-C

went to Prestigious school of music and got music diploma taught himself how to play the guitar in two weeks and is a fantastic musician singer / songwriter..he is so intelligent it's scary even the headmaster at school would play chess against him from 11years old and never bet him and he had honors in math theology science etc . You get the picture. He can take a computer to pieces and build in minutes he now lives on his own and has daily support from his grandma as I have had a lot of health proplems..we've all been aware he has difficulties but the bottom line is her an adult and we can't say we think you have mental health issues or need meds etc and he just thinks he's ok but recently people have commented on his behaviour when hes out of his home and it's unfair as we know it's not his fault but we have to try help..a recent incident led to the housing association sending a support worker to visit him and they sent a cpn ..they explained who they were and had a good chat with him whilst his gran and uncle were there and he agreed to further support the meeting is scheduled for this week..At last a bit of help we think then the support worker rings us and says out assessment we think he may have ASD..Well nobody likes a label but if it can help him get sorted then what will be will be ..but over the years I have said to do many people . Do you tho I he may have ASD Aspergers syndrome as known and the response ( quote ) he can't have that hes too intellectual ..he goes to grammar school .hes from a good family he's never I'll..yes he's been I'll one when he was 3 with chicken pox and never been I'll another day in his life . He doesn't drink smoke . Do drugs he says well and won't even take a paracetamol ..I just feel that has been let down and all this time if some one would have listened all the idiotic bigoted people in the town where we live wouldnt have been making his life a misery just cos their own lives are so uninteresting. Sorry for the epic take but I've never really spoke about my wonderful talented son before re: this type of thing and I feel in a way I've let him down by not going with my gut feeling. Any advice would be welcome if you've read right to the end of this . I thankyou x

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.