Oxygen

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, my Dad was diagnosed with IPF about 3 years ago. His breathing has gone a lot worse over this time and he is unable to do any day to day activities, he can't even get out of the chair without gaspin for breathe and even sitting still his breathing is very restricted, the doctors are still saying that oxygen won't help him yet other sufferers seem to get oxygen, seeing him like this, constantly gasping for breathe is heartbreaking , any help would be gratefully appreciated.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I dont see why they will not let him have oxygen.  That seems very unfair.  Perhaps you will have to kick and scream, or perhaps say, "If you dont let him have oxygen I will complain to my Member of Parliament and I will write to the Press".  That often scares civil servnts, including NHS people.
    • Posted

Thanks for your advice, they are saying that his oxygen levels are not low enough for oxygen and that it wouldn't help him? I honestly don't understand it,
    • Posted

Does you dad have an oximeter?  Those are the little gagets the nurse sticks on the end of a finger to read oxi./pulse levels.  Not sure how it works in G.B. but here in Arizona,  they are not free, but  are available for sale ca. $38.  Easy to use and a great help to keep track of a patient's ox.level.  

Does a nurse or the doctor use a oximeter to check your dad's oxi levels?  If so, ask what the reading is while he's sitting and again after a short walk.  If your doctor refuses, follow Neville's advice and yell and scream and insist on a new doctor.

This disease is bad enough, but why some health providers make it more difficult is hard to understand.  Sorry you and your dad are going through this.  My husband was dx in late Dec.; was almost sent home without an order for oxigen because the oximeter was used only once--after he had been sitting for 20 min.  Again, thanks to advice from this site, I pushed for another reading after walking--when the reading changed from 95 to 81, the doctor changed his mind.  It took another 3 weeks to finally have the lung tests, which are taken by a tec with a report available very quickly.

There are some wonderful doctors, but too often  it requires a very pushy caregiver and/or a demanding patient to get decent medical care.

Be tough!

Qva

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.