Female Sterilisation : Laparoscopy

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

This is my first posting and I'm completely new to this forum but I'm after some advice.

I'm a 38 year old dad with 2 kids (aged 8 and 5)

A few months ago the topic of contraception came up and we started to discuss all the various options, as it stands right now we are simply using condoms for contraception.

However recently my wife has become unhappy using this method and has taken steps to get sterilised under the NHS in the UK. She's apparently going to have a Laparoscopy (key hole surgery) performed and clips applied to block off her tubes.

However despite reading various articles I find it hard to really find out what I really want to know and thats how safe is this operation. I'm not talking about safety in terms of pregnancy risks I'm talking about the immediate risks to my wife having the operation done.

She has no previous health concerns and she's not obese however both our kids were born via a C-Section due to pregnancy complications.

Am I being silly, every time I try and broach this subject with my wife she tells me I'm being worried for nothing and theres no need for me to be concerned. However I cant help but shake the feeling this is a risky procedure and I worry about her safety during the operation especially when I read about the possible risk factors. For me I'd be happy to continue using condoms and due to medical issues with myself a Vasectomy would be troublesome. We both agree we dont want any more children and I'd love a permanent solution but is this it ?

Does anyone have some experience of this operation, is it really safe and were there any complications afterwards.

Am I really being worried for nothing. Please help.     

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi scott i do understand your worry i too have had all my children via c section and after last baby had my sterlisation done too but before that ive had laproscopy done and it was abslutley fine .... I dont think you should worry about anything if your partner is fit and well there shouldnt be a issue its straight foward day surgery ... All i would say is it has messed about with me alot my monthly cycle ect but then again i have other medical issues .. So dont worry it good idea if you dont want more children
  • Posted

Hi Amber,

Thanks a lot for taking the time to write to me, I really appreciate it. I'm glad your sterilisation worked for you. I've seen loads of horror stories even on this forum about women in constant pain for years after their operations, and the doctors seem to want to do nothing more than issue pain killers afterwards.

I guess my other big concern here is the clips themselves, what happens if they detatch, I'm guessing they dont just simply desolve, so are they just left to float around your system causing further damage elsewhere ?

Anyway appreciate all the advice. Thanks a lot.

• Posted

Scott,this is a perfectly safe operation and if your wife is healthy there is no reason to worry. Lots of women have had this done . The clips dont come off and dont dissolve..they are there forever.    No one can give a patient 100% guarantee that there will not be complications,but these should all be explained to your wife so that she can make an informed decision.       After the op you should still use condoms for about 3 months to make sure an ovum has not gone past.   the clip.

Have you enquired about vasectomy for yourself or are you just assuming it would be troublesome? A vasectomy is certainly easier than female sterilisation.  Dont read the horror stories.   You are lucky indeed if the NHS is agreeable to do this. This is quite often one of those ops that is no longer funded,like varicose veins: all due to those cutbacks.

• Posted

Well my wife went in last Friday and had the sterilisation done. She went in around 07:15 and the operation was done at 08:30 after a few last blood tests etc. The operation went smoothly under general anastetic and by 2:30pm she had ben discharged from the hospital.

I write this now 3 days later. She's still sore and she's still taking pain killers to control that. However she's able to get around the house and do some light tasks. I can also confirm she did go in and have the clips done, we did ask about other sterilization methods done like simply cutting the tubes etc, but we were told clips is by far the best method as the tubes can simply join back together if cut.

I'll update on this post as the situation changes as I feel it's important to get a few real world scenarios out there. As I've seen from numerous other postings there a lot of horror stories out there. You can assure yourself of anything if you Google hard enough. So regardless of this being a good or bad experience in the forth coming weeks I'll keep everyone posted as to the progress so other women thinking of having this operation performed can get some 1st  hand feedback as to what to really expect.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.