Mirena IUD Removal

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi Ladies,

After 5 years and 7 months I’m booked in now to have my Mirena IUD removed on the 24th of Feb.

A bit of background,

I’m currently 34 years old, Single, have no children and never been pregnant.

I have a top OBGYN, after many years and many problems I had the IUD inserted via a laparoscopy and D&C under anesthetic to help with Menorrhagia.

For me having the IUD inserted was never about birth control it was about assisting to reduce the extreme excessive bleeding I was having nearly every two weeks for 9 odd days at a time.

It took a few months for the IUD to settle and function correctly for me.

I am pleased to say that having the IUD did help with dramatically reducing the Menorrhagia.

However,

During this time I have suffered dramatic hair loss, weight gained (40 kgs) approx. 88lbs twice and shed it again now twice, fluid like swelling in ankle and knee joints, developed both food intolerances to avocados and bananas, and also food Allergies (head to toe hives) from what exactly I’m still not totally certain of.  

About 3 years after the insertion I started to suffer bad cystic acne, on my body and face. I never suffered from pimples and bumps as a teenager so this has been an ongoing struggle that I thought was something to do with just growing older.  I’ve tried every over the counter product, spent thousands of $ nothing works.

Over the past few months I’ve been on 100 mg per day doxycycline it has helped slightly but nothing dramatic.

As I’m due to have the IUD removed I started searching information about the process, what to expect etc.

I know there has been a huge amount of negative press about the IUD over the past year or so and one has to air on the side of caution when exploring information on the net.

Here’s the thing I have read a lot of information about women gaining weight after the IUD and not being able to lose it.

To them I simply suggest the blunt honest truth, they are simply not trying hard enough to shed the weight.

That might be a hard fact for many people out there to swallow but people don’t need any more sugar coating.

While hormones do play an active role in potentially having an effect on a person’s body weight, in my instance they clearly didn’t prevent me from losing the enormous weight I gained twice.

As for the rest of my symptoms, I had attributed them to the symptoms of the dreaded aging process, that was until I started to research what I could expect after the removal of the IUD.

I’ve read about many people suffering similar symptoms.  I’ve also read about the “Mirena Crash”.

Personally I’m not currently sexually active so I’ve decided I just want to have my IUD removed and I want to stay off birth control and all hormones for a few months to see how my body copes with things now I’m older.  

If my Menorrhagia continues and my other symptoms do not go away after the IUD is removed then I will definitely consider going under anesthetic again and having another IUD inserted.

I’ve started this thread for a few reasons,

1 – To learn more about what other women experienced once they had their IUD removed ?

I expect there will be a period of bleeding (either a few days or weeks) after the initial removal.

I also expect that it will take a few cycles or months before my body returns to a normal kind of cycle.

2- If other people had the IUD removed and suffered any similar symptoms to the ones I listed above, did those issues clear up for you and go away after the IUD was removed ?  

If so, how long did it take for you to notice a difference ?

Clearly I cannot say for certain that the IUD has caused all my symptoms, and equally I don’t expect all my symptoms to magically disappear or be fixed once the IUD is removed.  

But I’d really like to get some feedback from others regarding their experience of life AFTER they had their IUD’s removed and I’ll post on my progress after my IUD is removed here as well.

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi All,

Yesterday I went to my OBGYN to have my IUD removed and the usual Pap smear test.

My Doctor was very talkative yesterday.

He was asking me many questions about my IUD experience, how I found having the IUD. I must admit, it was a pleasant change to have a doctor instigate a real dialogue of questions. 

I told him, in terms of reducing my symptoms of Menorrhagia and bad cramps the IUD has been effective. While having the IUD I have also not been anaemic.   

He asked if I had noticed anything specific – I said yes, ACNE. He said that in my instance that it might be due to the IUD.

He asked about my weight gain – I told him I could not be certain if it was directly caused due to the implant and not merely just my lifestyle factors.

He asked about my moods swings and if I had suffered depression – My response, In general I have always been a grumpy person before my morning coffee.

He asked if I had any swelling – I said yes, a little but once again, I could not be certain if that was the result of the implant.

He did not ask about hair loss – Must admit I actually forgot to mention this aspect at the time.

Actually, my doctor suggested that I take 12 weeks off everything to see how everything goes before I even got a chance to say that was what I had hoped to do. So NO birth control, no hormones etc.

It fits in well because my vibrator only shoots blanks anyway ~ LOL ~  

Re-assess my situation in 12 weeks’ time with the doctor.

The removal process itself;

Well the plastic speculum instrument was inserted (this is the item normally used for the standard Pap tests). Nothing major there with that.

Then I think he used something to remove the IUD.

The Pinch – Yes, there was a little pinch like other mention.

I’m not sure if it is because I haven’t had children (small upstretched cervix)  or if it was simply that I’m a little bit of a woose but I jumped a bit on the table as he removed the IUD.

Honestly though, in my instance the removal was not bad or painful. It was all over in a few seconds and he held the little sucker up to show me. It was still perfectly in tact.

Afterwards.

I came out of his office with a smile from ear to ear. I felt good and I guess part of this was slight relief.  Walking to the car I noticed a twinge in my leg/lower back but that could been from the shoes I was wearing.  

About 15mins later – I had a slight icky feeling in my belly and I was a bit light / foggy headed.

I slowly had two cups of tea and 6 choc biscuits and slowly sipped on some water.

It was 38/40 degree heatwave here yesterday so the foggy light-headedness may have actually been caused by those conditions.  

Two hours later, after taking it easy on the couch in the cool air-conditioning and I was feeling OK.

Not very hungry though for the rest of the day/evening, I did try to eat dinner but I noticed that where I would normally eat a full plate last night I was lucky to get through half.

Before I went to bed I noticed some spotting, nothing major.

I was a little sore sitting up in bed, but it was certainly not bad enough to need to take any over the counter headache or ibuprofen. It was just a little sore.   

Day 1 – After the IUD removal.

I woke up this morning, I felt good.

I am still a little sore, but nothing major, hard to explain, it feels a bit like a slight bruise.

My belly is looking a little flatter and does not feel all hard and tight.

I am spotting a bit, and I a little cramps yet again not really bad though.   

I have noticed my skin was actually a little clearer this morning. That might merely be psychological hehe wink

So far so good. I will keep you updated on my progress.

• Posted

I know these posts are quite old but I want to ask some questions. 

I had the IUD removed last week I had it for 5 years and when I had it I suffered really bad with BV and depression

I bled a day after removal and stopped 4 days after so I guess I had a normal period (even though I’ve never had a normal flow!) it was so nice to feel free. Having it removed was the best choice I’ve ever had I’ve never felt better and I feel like a brand new woman and I’m living life again. At first I was down for the first two days but after I finally have all my energy back and I just wish I done it sooner!!

• Posted

Has anybody else experienced this as well?
  • Posted

I had my iud removed yesterday (I have had it in 1 year and 5 months)

and ive never felt better the iud was possibly the worst contraception ive ever had the constant hunger has gone the irritability has gone my skin has already become less oily and generally a bit better

No pain no soreness and generally a million times better than when I had the vile thing in xxxx

• Posted

Hey!

~Had my mirena coil removed yesterday, I was really scared as it was so painful having it put in, the nurse said there is nothing to worry about at all!

So I lay on the table, held the other ladies hand for moral support, and I hardly even notied it coming out! the nurse just put the speculum in and pulled the strings, it easily popped out with no pain at all!

Its the next morning now and I have had no blood or pain.

nothing to worry about smile

• Posted

Hello! I know it's been a while since your last post, but do you have any other noticable changes? Did you go back on a birth control? If so which one. 

I'm asking because I just got mine removed last night and I'm cramping bad and feel all around crappy (but it could be because I work 7 days a week and don't sleep).

Any update on how not having the Mirena in has been affecting you would be appreciated. 

• Posted

I have a question... How's your acne now? I'm suffering the exact symptoms as you and I really want to know if there's hope after taking this thing out

• Posted

Hi Everyone! I hope we are all feeling well! I had my Mirena removed this morning after having it in for 16months. I have terrible acne and felt a little 'crazy'  at times.

?I have a little cramping at the momet and im trying not to over think it

• Posted

I see I'm a few months late but I wanted to share my experience for any new readers!

I removed my mirena by myself about two weeks ago. I used it to deal with symptoms of what I suspect is endometriosis and it helped a lot except I spotted for almost 7 months straight and when it stopped and I got my period it lasted for two weeks. I was sick of the unpredictability and constant spotting so I saved time and money and took it out at home.

Day 2 after removal I was in a hotel and woke up to blood gushing!!! I had blood clots the size of golf ball coming out and I used a super sized tampon every 15 minutes as well as an extra thick overnight pad for back up. This lasted for 4 hours, then I had a sort of period for a couple days and it's been a week with no blood at all! IM LOVING IT!

I also noticed that my insatiable cravings are gone (I gained 10 pounds and couldn't figure out why I was constantly hungry). I finally feel like I'm back to normal and my libido is way better!

• Posted

Hi Rachel, how long did you have your Mirena in for?

• Posted

I AM APPROACHING 50 YEARS AND HAVE HAD THE MIRENA IN SEVERAL TIMES, MOSTLY USED FOR CONTRACEPTION AND HEAVY BLEEDING, NEVER HAD A PERIOD FOR NEARLY 20 YEARS NOW, I AM SURE THE BIGGEST SIDE EFFECT I HAVE HAD IS WEIGHT GAIN, CANNOT PROVE IT BUT SURE OF IT, AT LEAST TWO STONES I GAINED WHEN I FIRST HAD ONE INSERTED, ALSO DURING MY LAST VISIT TO FIND THE MIRENA COIL AS THE DOCTOR COULDN'T FIND THE THREADS THEY FOUND I HAD FIBROIDS, AS I HAVE THE MIRENA WAS TOLD THAT I HAVE THE COIL IN THAT THESE HAVEN'T GROWN AS BIG AS THEY COULD, THAT WAS FOUR YEARS AGO, TOLD I COULD KEEP THE MIRENA IN WHILE GOING THROUGH MENAPAUSE, ALSO LATELY I HAVE BEEN EXPERIENCING PAIN RIGHT SIDE THROUGH TO LOWER BACK, PROBLEMS WITH CONSTIPATION ETC NOT SURE WHETHER IT IS RELATED TO MY COIL OR THE FIBROIDS, ON THE WHOLE THE COIL HAS BEEN GREAT FOR THE BLEEDING BUT NOT SURE WHETHER IT HAS DONE MY BODY ANY GOOD, HORMONES AND MIGRANES HAVE BEEN AWFUL THROUGH THE YEARS, CANNOT WAIT TILL I DON'T NEED TO HAVE IT IN, SCARED TO HAVE IT REMOVED IN CASE OF  THE EXCESSIVE BLEEDING COULDN'T COPE WITH IT.

• Posted

Hello Everyone,

Have just found this forum and wondered if there was anyone like me that could answer some questions? Over the space of fifteen years I have had 3 mirena coils and as was five years was up on the last one I have had it taken out and have decided not to have another put in. I initially had it put in for heavy periods with a side effect of birth control, since having the Mirena put in I have not had any periods at all. I am now 47 years old and have decided to see how my body will go without it, I have put on quite a bit of weight but not all through the fault of the Mirena, just wondering if anyone else out there has had a similar expeience.

• Posted

Just had mine removed after 9 years!! Went through menopause with it in and hardy nticed other than hot flushes and low mood (cranky low mood).

discovered I was post menopausal 5 years ago when coil was due to be changed--was advised to keep it in for a few years as i didn't have it for contraceptive reasons and it will give me the progesterone still.

So I'm Day 1 of the removal and it was well painful due to the fact that I am post menopausal and so access was restricted as the cervix shrivels during menopause and so it was difficult to remove. (Will never have to experience that again though)

My biggest curiosity is to see if I lose some of the weight I have gained, obviously some is age related but I hope to feel less bloated and to drop a size too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.