DNA and Sjogren's

Posted , 10 users are following.

Please write with your blood type and family history of Sjogren's. Let's share and solve the mystery of this sydrome. My family is O pos and father and mother have Sjogren's as well. 

0 likes, 48 replies

48 Replies

Next
  • Posted

We are also of Scotish/Irish/English/French descent. 
  • Posted

I have blood type O pos  and in my family two of my  siblings have auto immune disorders. and i  am from scottish/irish/german/english

• Posted

Hi Jordan, I am 0 negative. I am English/ German/Irish and Native American decent. My mother has Sjogrens and other autoimmune diseases. My two sisters have autoimmune

diseases. My son and daughter have autoimmune diseases.

Good luck. Anymore questions please ask.

God Bless you,

Kristy k

• Posted

I'm B+, from German & Chinese descent.  To my knowledge I'm the only one with an (diagnosed) autoimmune condition...
  • Posted

I am B+ English/Scottish and come from a family of 10 siblings but no one else in the family has Sjorgrens. Mandy x
  • Posted

It is possible that there is no link to blood type but it would be interesting to keep this thread going to know what other types members have to report. So far reported are O and B both negative and positive. In regard to SS, I absolutely know that there is a genetic (dna) component because of the incident of SS in my family. Two late onset (in their 80's) and one (in their 50's). All three people are paternally linked. There may be other manifestations of the syndrome of course. Many top doctors in the field of SS have a difficult time diagnosing SS because it mimics menopause symptoms in women such as dry eyes and fatique. I also want to share that there are important things one can do to help with symptoms. Sleep is key. Reduction of inflammation through diet, exercise and non-harmful products such as omega three, and STRESS is the worst. I know a woman who has SS who recently retired and most of her symptoms have disapeared or decreased dramatically. It is possible that there is a neuro link to stress and triggers in the immune system

Thank you, everyone, for continuing this link. Please continue to share what you think is important. This type of forum is so important and may some day find a cause and cure for SS. Doctors may be doing research, but they are not asking or sharing the type of information we are sharing to find the commonalities in SS and they are not able to analyze the commonalities that we share. What we can share is what I believe to be a form of medical research that only we can provide for each other and a future cure of SS. 

Sorry, most of my messages will not be this long, but I really want to inspire all of us to band together to solve SS, especially where doctors can not. 

Thank you!

• Posted

I also need to make a correction on the first post I made. It is my father and his sister who were diagnose with SS (in there 80's), not my mother. So there is a paternal link in my family. Sorry for the mistake. 
    • Posted

Remember to take account of the % of the population that have the different blood groups. For example, if 60% of the population are O+ you would expect 60% of SS.suffers to be O+. (I can't remember the percentages of each.blood group).
    • Posted

Hello Barbara,

Thank you for your reply. I suppose the point I was making is that the few people who did respond to my thread were almost always B+. We will see over time how many more B+ people respond. I would have expected to see the majority of the responders report that they are O+ since it is far more common. But thank you for your attention to this matter. I really think there is something to this but I will wait to see the rest of the responses.

The percentages for blood types are below.

O-positive: 38 percent.

O-negative: 7 percent.

A-positive: 34 percent.

A-negative: 6 percent.

B-positive: 9 percent.

B-negative: 2 percent.

AB-positive: 3 percent.

AB-negative: 1 percent.

• Posted

I think these % may vary by country. I was sure the vast majority in the UK were O+ (60%?) But then I have an underactive thyroid so memory isn't one of my strong points! I've not been diagnosed with sjorens, but I'm interested because I have some of the symptoms.
    • Posted

Check out the bloodbook site and go to ABO blood types. Can't post a link here as it's not allowed. In most races/countries O predominates, though there are some fascinating exceptions. This site reckons 47% O for the UK and only 8% B, which could make the number of B responders so far quite significant.
    • Posted

I just looked at an American Red Cross site which backs something I had suspected from, yep, too many reruns of ER: In the US, B+ blood is only present in 9% of Caucasians, but 18% of African Americans have it and 9% of Hispanics have it. A whopping 25% of Asians in this country have B+. Forget B- in this country, percentages are from 2% downward.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

• Posted

This request seems to have appeared in two different threads, so posting again. O pos (like most people). English/Scottish/Indian heritage. Don't know of anyone else in my family who had SS but my mother and maternal grandmother both had RA and my mother had Reynaud's. She also had a lot of allergies - forgot to mention that in the other post.
  • Posted

Scottish/Irish heritage. Blood type B +. Father had M.S two

daughters have thyroid conditions.

• Posted

Scottish/Irish heritage. Blood type B +. Father had M.S two

daughters have thyroid conditions.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.