screws and plate removal from wrist

Posted , 17 users are following.

Any one had screws and plate removal from wrist after fracture radius and ulna my CT scan showed that one of screws is in the radio ulnar joint .I will have operation for removal on 21 of February.I am three months after my open reduction and internal fixation surgery.Iam worried about pain and the immobilization after surgery.

2 likes, 52 replies

52 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I'll be interested to hear how you get on - I also had ORIF and my surgery didn't get a perfect bone alignment unfortunately. An option for me is to have an osteotomy (broken and re-plated again to correct the position)  but it's quite a big deal to go through that again so not sure whether to entertain it.
    • Posted

Sorry to hear that you have to undergo surgery.when your orif was? I'm only 3 months after orif and Worried that my bones didn't heal yet also the 2nd operation is more difficult than the first because of adhesions.
    • Posted

My ORIF was at the end of August last year so nearly 6 months ago. I was told to wait the full 12 months before considering whether to have my radius broken and re-plated. I had a bad comminuted fracture of the radius and ulnar styloid. I still get a lot of discomfort on the ulna side of my hand which is due to the slightly altered position my wrist has been set in. 
    • Posted

I had lots of adhesions but the 2nd surgery was still not as painful or bad as the original to place the Plate and screws, it just took a bit longer due to adhesions the dr. told me that would be the case.Our situations are very similiar, it's great getting out the Plate and screws though and pain is less since then too.
  • Posted

I believe though that is mucht less trauma to have the plate taken out than when you had your ORIF surgery so the recovery should be quicker.
    • Posted

Yes recovery was quicker for me and should also be for you too liqaa74164
  • Posted

What happens after they remove? Is it left to heal or reinserted?
    • Posted

After they remove it they apply splint for 2 to 6 week to allow for the screws sites in the bone to heal.
    • Posted

Good luck - my hopeful k wire removal seems a bit of a breeze compared to what you guys gave got to go through. I hope you heal well with zero pain!
  • Posted

YES, I had the same thing happen to me! I broke  the ulna and radius bones so both sides. I had a plate and 10 screws put in with surgery since closed reduction didn't fix the breaks.I was in horrible pain and knew something was very wrong, Cat scan showed screw in wrist joint just like you. The 2nd surgery was not half as bad as the original and after a few months of physical therepy it is better, I have about 65% usuage of my wrist/hand now and pain level is much better considering I know have arthitis in my wrist since the break. I was 57 when it happened   2 and half yrs later things are much better. It takes a long time but you'll get there, if u r younger that helps the healing process even more..lots of luck and don't be afraid, the 2nd surgery is a breeze comapred to the 1st and feels better without the Plate and screws in there smile God Luck!!! wink
    • Posted

Thanks dear Joana for your replay.it is good to hear that you became better after hardware removal.how many months after your ORIF the second operation was done? Because I am only three and half months after orif and worried that my fracture may be still not healed well.I am 47 yr old. What about your post removal period did you wear splint?any period of immobilization?.thanks again for your kind reply ☺
    • Posted

you are very welcome Liqaa, I was 4 months post original  fracture and  1st surgery when I had 2nd one done, The doctor orderd a Cat scan to make sure I was healed but x-ray would show that as well. I had a half cast/splint for a few weeks, then a hard brace for 2 months but I took it off for physical therepy and bathing. I know you are afraid but believe me in retrspect i was all with it, things do improve wink  xo
  • Posted

I had the plate and four screws removed last Sunday.the surgery last for an hour under GA.I almost pain free.I put removable splint to protect the wrist although my surgeon didn't advise that .I will go for removal of stiches 14 days after surgery.my surgeon advice was to keep moving my fingers.
    • Posted

That is excellent news - good luck! I would be tempted only to wear the splint outdoors for the confidence boost rather then risk any stiffening up of the wrist. My view only - I am no expert!
    • Posted

Thanks dear for your reply. I am wearing the splint because I am only three and half months after ORIF so afraid that my fracture didn't heal completely.
    • Posted

No I fully understand. I am 8 weeks post frature and 1 week post k wire removal and I too worry about balancing recovery with not taking a step backwards by overdoing it.
    • Posted

oh  you had the surgery, I just replied to your other question, sorry I was not on the computer all week or I would have replied sooner, so glad it is over for you..and yes keep fingers moving..so glad it seems to have gone well...good luck with therepy, you will now feel better with every passing week!
    • Posted

I wore my splint and brace for almost 2 months after 2nd surgery except for therepy seesions 3 days a week and bathing but I did move my fingers and wrist as often as possible at home as told by my physical therepist, 3 months after your 1st surgery with adhesions and screw backing out you still have to be very careful..
    • Posted

Thanks ioio for your reply.when you start doing PT after surgery ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.