Back problems

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had surgery back in 2013 for L4 and L5 disc bulges. I had been suffering for weeks in constant pain, not sleeping or even walking properly. Doctor still wouldn't send me for a scan, instead he said I needed physio. Problem was I then had to wait longer as it was very busy. 4 weeks later I went to the physio and he told me to go to the hospital as he said I wasn't right. When I got there they gave me stronger pain killers, I was then told to go back to my docs to get an emergency MRI scan.

When I saw my doctor he rang and made the appointment and I went....2 days later I got a phone call from my doctor to say he needed to see me right away. He call round and then told me I needed surgery on my back. He gave me a number to ring with a security and password, when I got through that said I would get my appointment in the post. 4 week later I got my appointment and it was for 2 months time. I thought I can't carry on like this, no sleep in constant pain. It got so bad I lost the use of my right foot, I was also numb round my bump and privates. So rang docs again this time I was told he was on a 2 week break, so I told the receptionist what was happening and pass me through to another doctor how told me to go to the hospital right away. From there is was rushed over to Walton Centre where I had surgery on the 2 discs. After the surgery I was a lot better I got the use of my foot and the leg pain had gone, still had pain in my back which was normal after major surgery. I was of work for 3 months, but my job was very physical with lots of lifting involved.

I returned to work and only lasted 7 months I now I'm off again. I've got a numbness in my right leg and foot and sometimes can't move my foot. I get a stabing pain in my lower back plus I get very frequent trunk shifts (spasms) too. I've had another MRI scan and I've got more disc bulges. It's been a nightmere for me and my family. Again my doctor just said I needed physio, I asked why a can't go back to the Walton Centre. He said no you need physio, so I went. He just gave me a cause of acupuncture which lasted 8 weeks and did nothing. In the end he said I needed to go back to the surgeon how did the op. So I went back to my docs and he sent me to see a different consultant at a different hospital. He told me I have to live with it and to do yoga. I asked about my job, he just said I should be fine.

My point is I'm living with the constant pain and numbness and wake at night due to my right leg.

I feel know one wants to help and very frustrating as I'm still getting trunk shifts and I'm just told to get on with it. My work have stopped paying me my life is upside down and don't know what to do. I just manage my day to day tasks. Finally going back to Walton Neurosurgery to see another consultant and hoping he can help, I've lost so much. I'm 48 years young and 11 stone and 5' 7" so I'm not over weight. Sorry if I'm going on.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

I'm so sorry. I feel your pain!

I have not been able to work in over a year now. Can't stand very long, sit, or walk very far. Have been almost 4 years trying to get help. Started with a Chiropractor and Nurse practitioner care( no ins.) Then another Chiropractor sent me to get M.R.I. long list of things wrong with my back.

So far the only people who care about me are Chiropractor ( won't touch me) Nurse practitioner and Physically therapist. Now waiting for pain Management. All I wanted was someone to "fix me" so that I can get on with my life!!! Not 20 or 30 now. What is going to happen to me? Have lost 4 years I can't get back.... So I completely understand what you are going through.

I'm fighting to get shot in my spine now. Will let you know how it goes.

Chloe

• Posted

I understand..... all doctors want to do is give you pain killers and other Meds.

Going to see a Consultant tomorrow see what he says, I can't keep going on like this. They said they would fix me if I had the op, but it's just a big mess. Wish I never had the op, since I then I've read up more on this issue and more read about it the more I see how it returns anyway.

I will post here how I get on tomorrow at the hospital. The last consultant said there nothing he could do and just get on with it. Very professional

Hope you get sorted and thanks for the reply..

• Posted

Been to see new Consultant and he's saying now I need a full back MRI scan as he thinks there more going on with my back. So I'm now waiting for that appointment 2 to 4 weeks....I've been asking for this for 2 years.

He also said I can't do a physical job as I've also got scoliosis and other degeneration in my discs. Nice to know I'm pretty messed up.....my feeling are OK as I'm pretty a positive person, but I do wish these doctors and Consultants would Lisern to there patents. We know are body's better than they do. Being better educated doesn't mean you are better then we are....

Best wishes and thanks to anyone that reads this, or understands it to..

• Posted

Hi,

I'm sure glad to find this sight. We know now that we aren't alone in this terrible journey we are enduring.

Why we are allowed to suffer like this is beyond me. Like I have said before, if we were a dog or cat suffering that is a crime. But it's OK to let a human being suffer!

Ranting and Raving about this!

Chloe

• Posted

It's good to rant...also to chat with someone how has a simalar problem. I need a full back scan(MRI and CT) my consultant now thinks there something more sinister at work. I hope not...sill staying positive and as for the pain, that not to bad. I don't like Meds as I feel they can do more damage. So.i use hot and cold..10s machine and stretching out. Plus I do core work like push ups and the plank. I use the gym ad well, only for cardiovascular. I have a high pain tolerance so try my best. Stay positive and look after number 1

Yourself..best wishes

• Posted

Sorry for the spelling mistakes, not my best.
    • Posted

Hey,

I hope that nothing else is going on with your back!

Wish I could exercise. Can't even bend over to pick up something. Makes everything worse.Have a inversion table, can use it now either.

I did have a very high pain tolerance. After so long you have trouble with taking the pain.

Another Neurosurgeon tomorrow and then I'm done. Not going to try to get another one to see me.

......Hang in there!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.