Urine Incontinence - Help!!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi All.

I'm a 62 year old man who suffers with a number of complaints and is on various medications as a result. Mesazaline for ulcerative colitis; Lisinopril and Amlodipine for hypertension; Tamsulosin for prostate; Sotalol for paroxysmal artrial fibrillation and warfarin for anticoagulation. I also need to have both hips replaced and I'm currently awaiting an initial appointment to see a surgeon at King's College Hopsital in London to discuss this. My biggest health worry at the moment is my urinary incontinence. During the day, this isn't too bad and I can live with the mild urgency and occasional leakage I experience. During the night, it is a very different matter, and although I have yet to actually 'wet the bed' almost everytime I get up to hobble to the bathroom (approx every couple of hours or so) I am unable to stop myself leaking. My bathroom is downstairs and my bedroom is upstairs and to negotiate the 15 stairs with my arthritic hips takes time and this morning was a particulalrly horrible instance when I started losing control as soon as I had left my bed and stood up to start the journey downstairs. 

I cannot get an appointment with my consultant urologist before the end of June and I'm becoming increasingly stressed by this condition, which I find occupies more and more of my mind. 

Has anyone out there got any advice or tips (other than wearing incontinence clothing) which might be of help?

Apologies for the long post!!

Many thanks,

Peter A

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello Peter i totally sympathise with you.

I used to live in a house where the toilet was downstairs.....36 walking steps each way!! It used to be horrible. I would have to get up at least 4 times a night. (Luckily we have just moved into a bungalow...only 10 steps now!)

The only advice i can offer you would be to try some pads. I know Asda do a triangular shaped pad for men that looks fairly discreet. The feeling you get when you need to go now but knowing you're not going to make it and wet yourself is awful. I found that pads were my only help during the night. I was really embarassed at the start but luckily i have a lovely understanding husband.

Sorry i can't offer you anything else more positive.

Good luck with your appointment in June

Kind regards

Helen

• Posted

Dear Helen,

Thank you so much for taking the trouble to respond to my post.  I do appreciate it.

I shall certainly look at the pads you mention and I have no doubt that protective clothing is the way forward, for now at least.

I hope you and your husband have settled happily into your new home and are enjoying yourselves in your new surroundings. 

With my kindest regards and thank you again for your suggestion.

Peter   

• Posted

No problem Peter.

Most of us in this forum have had the same problem so we do understand what you're going through. The embarassment n feeling like you're the only one etc.

It manifests itself in lots of different ways. I had my thyroid removed nearly 24 years ago. I'm on blood pressure tablets too. I have been diagnosed with urge incontinency.

After trying tablets i had a barage of tests at the hospital n finally botox.

Good luck again

Helen x

• Posted

Hi Helen,

Just wondering how you are managing and how you are getting along with the botox treatment?

This might make you smile.  I had a routine appointment with my urologist scheduled for 15th October 2015. The hospital cancelled and rescheduled it for the 16th December which I had to decline as I was in hospital having a diseased parathyroid gland removed. The next available appointment was 24 June 2016 which the hospital just cancelled and rescheduled for 17th February 2017. Only 16 months after the original date!!! 

With all good wishes as always,

Peter  

• Posted

Sorry to hear of your not little problems Peter. I think I have some but nothing like the number of issues you are trying to deal with. The amount of meds sounds frightening to me alone. I would like to help but have nothing to offer, but hopfully someone will. Good luck
    • Posted

Dear Moodyone,

Thank you so much for your post. 

I am finding that this condition is eating into my self-confidence and as I wrote in my original post, is causing me stress and distress, both of which I think aggravate the situation.  Ah well, such is life!! 

Thank you once again for your concern and I send you my very best wishes for an end to your own problems.

Peter A   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.