Recovering from Open Carpal tunnel release hand surgery this is day #7

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi , got my right done on the 12th. ..so today is day #7...haven't used my hand at all. It's my right that got worked on...I have been using ice,putting it up..it is sort of stiff.I have been moving my fingers but I feel like I am constantly looking for aftercare instructions. Because what I find is that every one have different advice from their doctors. My doctor told me what to but in bit by bit so I am very unsure. Like do I really not use my hand at all for 12 days until I get the stitches out? And can I go out and walk. ..is it far enough away from the surgery for me to be ok..to be able to go back to walking? ..I went out for a walk on day#5 and got dizzy. ..that's why I am wondering. .being really carful with my hand. .I hope I am doing everything right! ! I have it really bad...8 years now..have to get the other hand done too!!

1 like, 40 replies

40 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi. I had mine done 16 days ago. Had my dominant hand done. Elevated it 3 days straight as advised and just moved fingers as much as I could....again as advised. Day 5 I took bandage off and just changed dressing and left bandage off, again as advised. When out I wore it in a sling as it would throb.Kept it totally dry until day 10 when I had stitches out. At this point it was still swollen and they actually had to cut into my scar to remove them. But I have been driving 2 days without issue. Can hoover, style my hair, care for my children etc. I cant unscrew things but I can push doors open. I've massaged scar this past week with bio oil and although a tad puffy I can touch scar without pain. The issues I had have ceased and I'm thrilled with my recovery. I was told to use it every day as much as I can. I was given an exercise sheet when I left after my op. I have had serious surgery several times before and was told to get active after every one. If it hurts stop if not fine. But if you've been told different I would follow it. I was also offered physio on day 10 attended on day 13 they checked my range of motion said I had a textbook recovery of someone who followed orders. I am happy to be getting my other hand done. Good luck.
    • Posted

Oh it sounds like your doing really good!! I go back on the 24th to get the stitches out. ..what day did you start using it little bit?
    • Posted

Hi. Everyone is different. I know 2 people who've had the same op in recent years both had stories like mine in recovery terms. Day 4 I started using a stress ball, would turn a page, hold a pencil write one word slowly, held a teaspoon when I made a cuppa nothing major but didn't NOT use it if able. I guess day 11 was the day 1 day after my stitches were removed it felt 10x better. I cleaned the house like normal that day. I'm not saying I'm pain free. Yesterday it ached come the evening so I elevated it. Depends, my scar is only an inch and a half and falls in a comfortable spot. It was tender but I still massaged it day 10 onwards. The tissue around it is hard my palm feels a bit puffier but I was told my palm could thicken a little and stay forever, my friends did. I have moments when it hurts and I stop and my fingers can feel tight but 5 minutes later its normal again. If you're really not sure can you ring someone. I was given the nurses number to ring if I was unsure about anything. Think I received a lot of advice and aftercare but I'm someone who asks a million questions. Good luck. X
  • Posted

I had open capal tunnel release on last Thursday. It hurts pretty bad. I keep it elevated day and at night. Dr. Prescribed no medications. Just 800mg motrin. I try and bend my fingers everyday. So they don't get locked up. I have a 2 to 3 inch cut. I notice when I bend my knuckles they feel tight. I hope that some things I've mentioned help.
    • Posted

I also feel the stiff fingers..the doctor told me to imagine I have a stress ball I squeezING in my hand as much as possible. I have been doing this. But still my hand is stiff and is somewhat bruised. I was just wondering if I am not supposed to use my hand at all until I get the stitches out? I have been just using my left hand for every thing. ..are you using your hand for anything?
    • Posted

Oh, no. Not to use your hand for anything. Recovery is usually text book from 4 to 6 weeks. If you feel pain stop. I don't use mine at all except for simple finger bending. An if it hurts I quit.
    • Posted

Thank you for all your help! ! I hope you feel better. .I didn't know what the recovery was like at all...but that I thought I wouldn't be able to use my hand for a while. But definitely sure now ..it's a long recovery! ! I am assuming you still have your stitches in...do you have to wash them everyday? What kind of soap do you use? I have been using Dial bar soap ,but it's drying out my hand..
    • Posted

My dr. Wrapped mine up. He didnt say if I could take it off. Yes i still have 5 stitches. Its wrapped with cause, with a half cast on top then wrapped with ace wrap. I go today for post op appts. I have washed ot or anything..
    • Posted

Hi...how did your doctor appointment go? Did you get the stitches out? I guess everyone has different directions about aftercare. I was suppose to leave it alone and use ice, putting it up on a pillow, on day 3..wash it once a day with antibacterial soap..then put a bandage on it and wrap it back up and so once aday. It still aches and hurts half the day. .just comes on out of no where. I have a yellow and purple bruise that's turning colors
    • Posted

I missed my appt .I go in the morning at 8:45.I will post how it goes. My 6Yr old son had surgery on his ears Thursday and wasn't feeling well Friday, an he missed school so I had rescheduled it. I can't wait to get stitches out. An go to next step. Have had dressings off all day. I'll keep you posted about tomorrow's appt.

• Posted

Awwwww I am sorry to hear about your son. ..but if he had surgery, must mean he has a lot of ear infections. I will pray for that he feels better. I also have a 6 years and a 8 year ...two boys. My son on the first day of school pushed a Lego toy hand inside his ear...then waited two days to tell me until he b had a 103.5 degree fever. Had to get surgery to remove it. We were nervous. ..but he was perfectly fine..!! My hand was feeling better, well ok for a few days...then about two days ago. .stated feeling stabbing pains in Palm and wrist. I read this is nerves healing...I go back on the 24th to get the stitches out and find out what is next!!!
    • Posted

Oh my, a toy in his ear. My son had impacted ear wax that wouldn't come out in the SCENT office. He did good. Dr told us to continue to put sweet oil in his ears twice a week. We went today and had my stitches taken out. It hurt some. Wrote a script for a stabilizer forearm splint. To wear 24 hrs a day for 2weeks. Take off only to shower . oh they also glued down 6 steri strips. Wash around it, an not to scrub area that was cut. Didn't order therapy. Just to bend my fingers an exercise them with splint on. An no lifting anything with hand, said it may take up to 6months for recovery or longer.
    • Posted

Hope everything went well today getting your stitches out. And what did the Dr.say about what to do. Keep us updated.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.