hysterectomy and anterior and posterior repair

Posted , 29 users are following.

I am 3 weeks and 4 days post op and was wondering how long does the bottom continue to be sore. I have been having alot of lower back pain also and didn't know if this is normal. The days I am up on my feet alot and being more active it hurts alot more. I can't just sit down all the time. I do things in the house but no lifting more than I was told. I think if I would have known this long a recovery I don't think I would have had surgery. Anyone who has had this surgery I would appreciate your feedback.

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You have probably read on some other posts where I've mentioned about the pain getting worse over the first 3-5 weeks as the sutures start to heal. They tend to pull and cause the pain and discomfort. The lower back pain you describe is often due to the position you were put in for the operation. Your legs are placed in lithotomy poles and it tends to put extra pressure on your lower back. It's a shame you weren't told just how long the recovery is from prolapse surgery. Poor communication and lack of information seems to be far too common and something I'm working on with other nurses and Urogynaecologists. Please keep in touch jackie.
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your info. How long do you think before you feel back to normal after this surgery? Thanks
    • Posted

It's difficult to say but if you do as you're told and rest as much as possible, around 8 weeks you will feel better in yourself and will be pain free (still a tight feeling around the vulval area at times) but you will probably have days when you feel tired. It around 12 weeks you feel more or less back to normal but at the end of the day you'll probably feel weary. Everyone is different though and some ladies recover much quicker than others but you've also had a hysterectomy which is 2 surgeries in 1 so you must make some extra allowances for that
    • Posted

I am in the same position I am 4 1/2 weeks post op for hysterectomy posterior and anterior repair. I have gradually increased my activity but the thing I am concerned with is the blood loss. I think it is starting to ease then I do a bit more and I have lower abdominal discomfort and more red blood loss. Anybody else have the same problem.
    • Posted

10 days post op from total hysterectomy alone with so many questions. Is this a place I need to be...looking for advice n support.
  • Posted

Hi Jacky im also 3 1/2 weeks post op and have felt really really uncomfortable this week although i dont have back pain - but i am reassured now that this is quite normal (thanks to the wonderful Matron and Bunky) i am resting as much as i can and taking ibruprofen but i never quite realized how long it would take to recover - i also am beginning to regret having the op!
    • Posted

I know you are regretting it at the moment, I know I did but in the long run it will be worth it. I can just imagine you both sitting there rolling your eyes thinking "it's ok for her" but it's true. Unfortunately this surgery does take a while to recover and at the moment you won't be able to see an end to it all but stay strong and you've got all the ladies on this forum for support.
    • Posted

Thank you so much Matron for your reassurances - Im so grateful - if it wasnt for this forum I probably would have wasted the day in A&E cos i was so worried - i will take all your advice on board 💜
    • Posted

Please keep in touch jamandar and have a restful weekend 😘
  • Posted

Hi ladies, stay positive I had only anterior repair and even my posterior prolapsed I feel great and I would do it again. Take your time and rest in few weeks you will feel like a new woman.

Agnes

• Posted

I mean after surgery for anterior prolapse I found out my posterior wall prolapse too, but still operation was worth it, no pain when I walk etc.
    • Posted

That was really bad luck agi6. 
  • Posted

Just to add. A posterior repair is more painful than an anterior repair. I know everyone's pain threshold is different but it is well documented from research that it's more painful. It's important in the first six weeks to take pain relief regularly if in pain and not wait until the pain is very strong. Keep on top of it and keep your bowels regular.
  • Posted

Hi jackie, I had the same surgery as you on 5th Feb so I'm now 2 weeks post op.

was your hysterectomy a vaginal one or abdominal?

All my repairs (rectocele, enterocele, cystocele) and the hysterectomy were done vaginally and I have felt a lot of pressure especially in my bottom since. Pain killers don't really help and it is made worse when need a BM. I am still using lactulose bot god it's uncomfortable. 

I was given very little information when I was discharged, wasn't to,d what to expect just basically said don't lift! (My op was done privatley) This forum has been far more informative and of much help, sometimes just knowing someone else is in the same boat is a comfort.

Wishing you luck with the rest of your recovery and to everyone else on here xxxx

• Posted

I despair. Another lady not given information 😡
    • Posted

Hi Jill, I had it done vaginally. It has been alot of pressure in the bottom and have had lower back pain. I just thought I would be feeling alot beter than what I have. Probably just expecting too much too soon. I feel better than a week ago, I was doing three miles on treadmill before a day. I can't imagine it now, but sure it will get ther. It seems to be worse if on my feet alot during the day. Hoping for u a quick recovery.

• Posted

Hi Jill, totally agree stumbled upon this forum searching for answers and id I should have op. It has been invaluable. Totally lack of info provided both before and after op. Info I was given on discharge from hospital was of a general nature regarding all operations and had coughing exercises in it. Think I should have been doing these and other breathing exercises in bed. I too have such alot of bottom pressure and it is always there , pain is managed by Panadol or pandeine , though try to manage without Pandeine as it can make you constipated and last thing any of us recovering ladies need. Think like you said knowing others are having to deal with same issues and being able to source what is normal and what we should be worried about and how long to expect things to take to recover etc truely is a comfort. Recover well and get plenty of rest , don't do too much learnt that one the hard way collapsed. Wishing you and all recovering ladies a speedy and successful, recovery. xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.