Parkinsons disease

Posted , 7 users are following.

I have recently been diagnosed with Parkinsons disease and am worried and confused. Are there exercises I should do? I am not on medicine but I understand that there are some that should be considered. Which ones are best for the early stage of the disease. 

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi! My husband has had Parkinson's for  17 years.Walking is one of the best exercises. He also got a video tape of exercises, I believe from the Parkinson's Disease Foundation, called Just For You. I believe it was free.. If you can get one, a stationary bike is ideal. Any exercise that is not too fast is very bebeficial. Be careful of things that might cause you to lose balance. Also range of motion exercises prevent stiffness setting in. Exercise is the best medicine.
  • Posted

Well it is right second step you should act is to maintain your diet balance and regular physical activity is also crucial . And better to have virtue and positive outlook about the worrying your condition . 
  • Posted

Hi I'm I've been looking for someone to.talk to about parkisons I'm a 37 year old lady last year was dignosed with fibromyalgia but recently.y symptoms have become very worrying andy GP is sending me back.to.the neurologist as he saysy smotors are rather concerning and seeing as I have familyember with parkinsons he's concerned itights be that . But. I just wanted. To know if.u didn't mind . How you.new somthing was wrong and some.of.your.symptoms you experienced at the time before dignoses . I know everyone's different but just would.like. to.know.someone else's experience . Thank you.x
    • Posted

i am 47y/o-i began to to notice about 7 years ago occasional early morning muscle stiffness,cramping in left foot,tremors in left eyebrow and left upper lip-thought it was all stress until started to notice balance issues 4 years ago and then occasional uncontrollable left thumb twitching which finally sent me to neurologist-they monitored symptoms for 6 months-MRI was ok-sent for dat-scan which showed idiopatheic parkinson's-no known family history of parkinson's.diagnosed officially at 46.when i started to have the first issues 8 years ago i suspected something was wrong but symptoms were so sporadic i did not discuss them with anyone but my husband(who thought i was nuts).I suspected parkinson's or MS 8 yrs ago but was prestty sure when the balance issues started it was parkinson's but waitied until the thumb tremor started as i figured the doctor would just say it was"stress".Have had sleep issues for 8years with vivid dreams,yelling in my sleep and now thrash in my sleep-hope this helps.everyone experiences PD differently -other eraly symptoms can be chronic constipation,altered sense of smell(especially with ability to smell bananas),muscle cramps,joint pain-i had the constipation ,muscle cramps and joint pain-still do not have a altered sense of smell-hope any of this helps

• Posted

There are meds. You may not be a candidate yet and will need to discuss this with your doctor.
  • Posted

walking and biking are recommended-others do boxing and dancing,taichi,and PD associations have great tapes designed for parkinson's pts with exercise for balance,strength

• Posted

I was diagnosed with stage three Parkinson's three years ago with just about every symptom from tremors to feet stuck to the floor to name a few. I take 25mg l-dopa three times a day and wear a 21mg nicotine patch. When the patch starts to wear off I chew 2mg nicotine gum when needed. All my symptoms are under control except a dragging left left. Google nicotine Parkinson's and get informed.

• Posted

I was diagnosed with stage III Parkinson's three years ago. I'm 73 years old and had all the classic symptoms. Feet stuck to the floor tremors in my lip and both arms i even had drooling. I had painful cramps in both forearms. I couldn't turn over in bed. I could get in and out of the chair. For the last year I've been taking l-dopa and using a 21 mg nicotine patch daily. I switch back-and-forth between arms. Almost all my symptoms are gone. When the patch starts to wear off I chew a piece of 2 mg nicotine gum. Not only does nicotine stop my symptoms but it's also Nuro protective. I've been told it should never be used alone without l-dopa. You might want to pop a 2 mg Piece of gum in your mouth and see how you react. But get your doctors advice first you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.