High PSA and elevating - 3 negative Biopsies and 2 negative 3T MRI's

Posted , 13 users are following.

Has anyone heard or experienced this?  I am 58, good shape, PSA at 11, having gone up from under 4 over the last 5 years.  Three negative biopsies and 2 negative MRI's.  Any thoughts?  Similar experiences?  Urulogists can'r explain it and have suggesyed another "random" biopsy.  Why do that if the MRI's cannot even locate a problem????  Thanks

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had similar. Sounds like enlarged prostate. Do you take testosterone boosting supplements? 

My PSA was 9.8....no cancer but enlarged prostate. 

• Posted

I think you've had way too many biopsies. PSA  is totally unreliable. Your urologist must be loving you. 

Stop worrying about it. 

• Posted

@caringbah: I couldn't agree more. In any event, if the MRIs had found anything you would have a targeted biopsy, i.e., no chance of infection with  a transperineal Fusion Biopsy which is targeted by the MRI.

I'd just get on with life unless you prostate is enlarged to the extent it is causing problems when urinating etc. If that was the case, you and many others would suggest he look at the PAE forum (which procedure you have had).

• Posted

get a pca 3 test before you do any further biopsies or a free psa test

lou

• Posted

Frank,

my PSA elevated to a range of 14-22 for a number of years. Like you, my biopsies were negative. I had a PAE in Aprl of 2015. My PSA afterwards dropped into the 1.9-2.4 range. Obviously the elevated PSA was due to enlarged prostate. My prostate shrunk 40% after PAE from 124g to 70g. All of my BPH symptoms were also relieved and I now lead a normal life without having to worry about peeing or elevated PSA. 

• Posted

Prostatitis or a lage prostate ? How big is your prostate ? I had negative biopsies when my PSA was 5.1 and 6.2. Initially my prostate was 35grms but as it grew to 75grms my PSA went up to around 9.8. After GL PVP it went down to 5.0 but gradually went up to 7.8 as my prostate regrew to 130grms. Now three years after another laser procedure it is 0.74 and I have not had prostatitis for about a year.

The MRI will not locate a non existant problem as Lester said, forget it.

• Posted

The cause of your elevated PSA could be down to a number of things and with your history I'd just stick with regular PSA tests (6 monthly) and a DRE if and when the PSA rises significantly.  Another untargeted biopsy won't serve any purpose and would only have you going through that period of worrying what the outcome is. If you do have an undiagnosed PCa lurking within it's highly likely to be a pussy cat and will remain so for many, many years and in all probablity you will snuff if from something else before it reached the stage of becoming a serious problem.  If you haven't already done so it wouldn't hurt to make some lifestyle/diet changes to help keep any PCa (if it does lurk within) under control and help prevent it developing in the first place if you don't currently have it.  That is what I have been doing for the past decade and it has served me well with only a Gleason 6 (3+3) being found when I was eventually diagnosed (following a HoLEP), after searching for a needle in a haystack with previous negative biopsies.
  • Posted

I have the same issue. My biopsys came back as pre cancer.

I've had second and 3rd opinions and they all told me it's just a matter of time before biopsys come back as cancer.

• Posted

I would stay away from random biopsies. I will not allow them to be done on me as they are risky and have only a 30% chance of finding cancer. Now your rising PSA. It is rising fairly slow and it is a good thing to keep a watch on it, but as we get older this will happen as our prostate grows. BPH will increase your PSA . Also PSA does not indicate cancer. There have been cases of men with normal PSA and had cancer also there have been men with really high PSA with no cancer. If I were you I would have the High resolution MRI done yearly to keep an eye on things, but it sounds like you probably have BPH. Hang in there and be good to your prostate with nutrition and suppliments. Cut out foods that can irritate it.
    • Posted

After each of my two biopsies I ended up with an infection, Prior to the biopsies I had never had prostatitis but had frequent bouts after that. After the second biopsy I had quite a  bad bleed and had to spend a night in hospital. The pain after each biopsy was worse than after my two laser procedures.

The other advice for Frank40581 is to be hesitant about any prostate drugs offered and to consider their side effects very carefully,

• Posted

i understand that you can get MRI directed bioposy that targets an area that may be cancer.

there are two test i would get first if i had a high PSA

1. PCA3

2. free PSA which should be in the 20-25 range

best lou

• Posted

This is why biopsy is so dangerous and should be carefully considered. There is a test that can help in diagnosing cancer. It is fairly new so not used much yet. It is called the 4K score test. You can look it up on the internet. I would avoid any biopsy that wasn't targeted via High res. MRI. Poking around in ones prostate with those huge needles can cause permanent damage to the organ and it suprises me that they still sometimes use saturation biopsy. In my opinion it is inhumane. If you don't want to try prostate drugs then try a wholistic approach with things like Saw Palmento and Cranberry extract. Cranberry for infection and Saw Palmento to shrink prostate size. There are other treatments as well you can consult a natual path for guidance. I hope you feel better soon I know it can be frustrating as heck.
    • Posted

I refused a bloody TURP in 1995 and took Saw Palmetto and cranberry juice until PVP got to the UK. It did not stop my prostate from growing but kept most of the symptoms at bay.                                                                           
    • Posted

Well, as you know it will grow whether we like it or not. It is the nature of it. I have been taking cranberry pills that are a concentrate 2 pills three times a day and I can say that my condition has improved after 3 days of this. I am going to try Saw Palmento as well. We can't really stop it from getting bigger but we can at least try to minimize the symptoms. Unfortunately most of the interventions that are surgical can cause sexual dysfunction so I will try to put that off as long as possible. Again I wish you luck and I feel your pain as I have it as well. Take Care.
    • Posted

I don't like concentrated powdered products and bought the Saw Palmettio in tincture form from a herbalist.

I'm basically symptom free since my last procedure (prostate now 50 grms) in 2013 apart from a variable flow. I have no urgency and zero retention and hardly go during the day but still go at least twice during the night. The last cystoscopy I had did not show any problems.

• Posted

Thanks Derek, I plan on getting some Saw Palmento and taking it with the cranberry pills. I have improved so much from the cranberry that I canceled my appointment with the torture artist, oh I mean Urologist. Thank god for cranberry!! I went from nearly going to the ER last weekend to canceling my doctor appointment in three days. Glad to hear that you prostate is better. These little organs can cause so much trouble. Can't live with them and can't live without them. 
    • Posted

The best description is that they grow like a weed. Why not cranberries themselves or the non sweetened juice from health food shops.
    • Posted

You can do that as well. I chose the capsules as they are a concentrate. You would have to drink a lot of juice to equal two small capsules. I like cranberry juice so I may get some of that as well. I just can't believe how much of a difference it made in my situation. I would rather go natural than take RX drugs for this as some of the meds can cause ED.
    • Posted

The health shops sell what I assume is the actual juice without it being diluted and sweetened as it is in quite a small bottle. It is rather bitter.
    • Posted

That is probably a tincture. I buy it in pill form that is easy to take no bitterness. It has worked well for me, but it doesn't mean it will work for everyone but it is worth a try. I believe I have a slight infection and cranberry works well on urinary infections. Not sure if it has antinflamitory qualities.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.