Shingles bumps still there months later

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had shingles last November, painful and left with exhaustion. I recovered well and feel ok now but I can still feel the bumps on my shoulder where I had the rash and every so often I get a tingle / mild pain like I had at the onset but hasn't developed into anything worse. Is this common??

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lynn. I had shingles last April and the bumps were still there several months after. However I've noticed recently that although I can still see faint pink marks they don't feel bumpy now. Less scaring in fact than after I had chicken pox as a child.  The tingling you get is post herpetic neuralgia or PHN in the nerve affected by the virus. It seems to come and go with me but not too bad now. I still feel exhausted at times but I'm 72 so maybe it's harder for the body to recover as we get older. Hope this helps. smile
  • Posted

Hi Lynn,

The bumps are the residual scarring from the shingles, and the occasional tingling is the post herpetic neuralgia from the shingles. It is not unusual for this to occur. If it is very painful, ask your physician for analgesics.

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

So these bumps reduced to 1 that tingled from time to time but now it's really inflamed. Dr thinks it's infected but I also have the shingle like pain I had with the shingles just not so severe. I'm so confused!

• Posted

Lynn,

If it tingles from time to time after the infection, that would be Post Herpetic Neuralgia PHN. Now that you have the severe burning lancinating pain, you have a recurrence of the disease, and hopefully started on the Antivirals. Frankly, Valcyclovir and Famciclovir are more efficacious than Acyclovir, if you are going to keep getting recurring Herpes Zoster-Shingles. I would ask for one of those to have on hand if the pain starts up again. I take Famciclovir at the first symptoms, and the episode is shorter, and far less painful.

Merry Juliana

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.