cardiology

Posted , 2 users are following.

Why can no one in the medical profession give me an expanation why Flecianide is no longer available?  

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, the pharmacy I work in has flecainide tablets. I wasn't aware of a shortage or discontinuation of these tablets. 
    • Posted

Hi Sarah, are you based in the UK? My GP's pharmacy has recently obtained some limited supplies, but I have no knowledge of how long their supplies of Flecianide will last for.

Thanks Paul 

• Posted

Hi, yes in the UK, are you? What are they saying? Is it just the generic flecainide tablets affected, or the Tambocor brand, or both? I'll see if I can find out any more!
    • Posted

Hi again Sarah, thanks for your reply once more. Yes I am from the Uk and based in Lincoln, the shortages here have been very bad since early January, yet no one can give an expanation as to why. My GP's pharmacy has been able to obtain some limited stcocks, so I still have enough for the next 60 days, whether this means that stocks are now going to be back on the shelf and the shortages are comming to an end I don't know. What I do know is that I phoned every pharmacy in Lincoln and surrounding areas mid in February and they have all been completely out of Flecainide. What region in the UK are you based? 
    • Posted

Hi, in Cambridgeshire. Have you tried to get the brand of Tambocor and have you tried both strengths of tablet? The problems with short supplies/complete lack of medicines in this country are long-standing and infuriating, often with no explanation from manufacturers and suppliers, so I do sympathise. The public are understandably dumbfounded when we in pharmacies have to say we are unable to obtain their medicine - they just don't expect this! Have you tried any online pharmacies? 
    • Posted

Hi, it turns out there IS a national shortage of flecainide tablets, but I didn't realise this because until you have need to order them, you don't know they're unavailable! I contacted a supplier and they couldn't give a date for when they're expected, so it's an ongoing issue. Have you had any luck obtaining some? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.