Sero Negative Arthritis

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been treated for 5 years for PMR and GCA high dose steriods other drugs that have made me very ill .at moment i am on 9mg pred and naproxen as a stop gap for pain. they are now putting me on sulfasalazine to replace mycophenolate. has anyone taken this line of medication and if so what result thank you.Or got this condition

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Sulphasalazine is one of a number of DMARDS.  But have you looked into rosehip - the NHS has done an evidence review and found it to be as effective as anti-inflammatories - I can't post the link here, or the post will need to be moderated.  I will post it in another reply, in case it can then be a visible link to help people.
    • Posted

thank you have you tried this,what are u talking it for as i am still on sreroids have to wath other meds
  • Posted

Hey been on it for 20 years if you can tolerate it it can work wonders ...takes time though, it is the least toxic of all the demards and you can drink on it 🍻
    • Posted

does it have a lot of side effects been tried on so many over lasy five years and been told not got what been treat for ,and some meds have made me very ill are u tacking for arthritis
    • Posted

Yeah for reactive arthritis and ankylosin spondylitis works well can go for years sometimes with out taking Nsaids or steroids

As for side effects I've only had stomach issues but that was after 20 years make sure you have entric coated ones too

• Posted

did you manage to get off preds ,at moment as had treatment for 5 years for GCA and PMA now told i have Sero Negative Arthritis feel a little angry ,i have had all meds tried been very ill on methotrexate ,put me in hospital .i am trying not to have anymore at moment to see if works going to check out rosehip as well 
    • Posted

just found out i now have inflamatory bowel crohns maybe ,i am on steroids and been on mycophenolate for 12 moth .have you had any problems with stomach now on Sulphasalazine 
  • Posted

Well sulphersalazine is the least toxic and to be honest autoimmune arthritis will only get worse I know I will be on something or other for the rest of my life ...but early intervention with demards have made a massive difference 

I did try methotrexate horrible for me too that s  why I'm fighting to stay on sulphersalazine but maybe after 20 years my body well stomach needs a change 

I would seriously not give up all meds ..I've tried meny things and magic cures when I was younger was so desperate to stop the pain and feel normal  Some things May help but to bo honest only dmards or biologics are the the long term answer  at the moment 

• Posted

DMARDS have been a game changer in the treatment of arthropathy and I too hoped / still hope to wean off them eventually.

However, the rosehip is much less toxic and equally as effective an anti inflammatory as the ofens and coxibs. And it's definitely worth reducing the acid effect on the stomach.

• Posted

Have been meaning to try rosehip and studies have shown it has anti imfamiltry properties ,but will use along side sulphersalazine which I've managed to get down to 1.5 g a day 

my two attempts at sopping completely landed me in hospital so unfortunately that's not an option for me 

anyway I'm off the buy some and give it a go 👍🏻

• Posted

sorry for late reply  had a few week hols.

seen consultant today and she has started me on Sulphasalazine.

i have managed to get to 8mg on steroids pluss naproxane.

just a little fed up as been treated for PMA and GMA for five years.turs out got this now .so hopefull y works thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.