Vicodin withdrawal and insomnia

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi! I have been taking Vicodin for about a year. The most I took in a day is 35mg. I quit cold turkey exactly 6 days ago . I was expecting the normal withdrawal symptoms, chills , bathroom problems, sweats and insomnia. But it's now day 6 and I thought each day would get better right? But my insomnia is just out of control I literally have not slept at all for 6 nights. I think if I got a good not sleep I would feel awesome but the lack of sleep is taking its toll on me. I have tried taking muscle relaxers, melatonin and even smoked . So I just wanted to ask when will the insomnia start to go away??!! I try to think each day is a step closer to freedom from those pills but I can not go on another few days without sleep. I thought my dose remained pretty low but it seems my body really was hugely dependent on them. So how long will my insomnia continue, please help!

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hello brandi. I'm in the UK so not sure what the doseage of Vicodin is. I presume it's an opiate. I think you're insomnia is worse because you stopped without reducing the dose gradually.
    • Posted

Yes it is an opiate . I was unsure how long it would last ? Everything I read on opiate withdrawal says around 7-10 days but I didn't think it would be that long ! I thought maybe three days at most .
    • Posted

I think it does take longer than that from what I've read on this forum but I'm sure you'll get some good advice from other people very soon
    • Posted

I think it does take longer than that from what I've read on this forum but I'm sure you'll get some good advice from other people very soon
  • Posted

I always think you need to allow 3 weeks for the withdrawl to pass but my experience was that sleep was a problem for a bit longer. I found Valerian Tea to be very helpful - a natural sleep remedy, non addictive, available in most health shops.
  • Posted

Hi ya,around 3weeks you will start sleepin regularly I was on subutex an that lasted 4 weeks just catnapping ..👍
  • Posted

If u can get som diazepam or zopiclone or temazepam just for a week they will sort u out gal ..😊
    • Posted

Agreed, Diazepam does help with the freak outs and Zopiclone is very good for sleep - just don't get too fond of this pair of drugs as they are addictive and you'll have more things to give up later. Using them sensibly for 3 weeks over withdrawal is a great idea though.
  • Posted

And wine etc 🙈
    • Posted

One of the bonuses of coming off Opiates - you can drink alcohol again without the usual "Danger of Death". I'd advise caution though - when I quit MST/Morphine alcohol just had no effect so I'd drink a few, feel fine, and then just randomly be sick whilst feeling stone cold sober. I know others have found this too.
    • Posted

Mmm when I drink I want to take more pain killers or morphine because for some reason drink makes my pain worse,an then I run out of meds an have to buy off street I'm doin ok tho at the minute so all good
    • Posted

I get the same reaction. If I drink, the pain is worse so I take another pill, and so on, and so on. Yes, having a backup street guy if very helpful (I always run out). My bedside looks like a pharmacy.....I'm almost ready to stop this vicious cycle, but I don't want to deal with the pain without the meds. Did that for many years, until I took my first pain pill (can we say OMG, Amazing). Now I don't know my life without them.

Sorry, I hijacked your post. I wad just going tonagree with leigh19761 and the rant began. My apologies.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.